VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

auto tranny problems help me help another!!!

329 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  RJB121 
#1 ·
hey guys,
well went to visit a friend of mine friday...we took her car to dinner 97 jetta 2.0 auto...first off the car took a long time to up shift...reving real high before shifting...that seemed to change after the car had warmed up a bit but it was only in the 40's...second on the way back from dinner it shifted fine but decided to keep shifting up and down on its own...foot completely off the gas costing down a hill it would shift up then back down reving up as it did this continued this and when you got back on the gas she would jerk into gear for a few minutes then start all over...i drove the last half getting on it a little...it shifted fine into second then started doing the up and down shifting again....got back on the gas and it reved like i had pushed the clutch in on my 5spd ?....after that i babied her home and parked it...tried to check the fluid level but had no clue plus it was raining...i have no idea when it comes to vw auto trannys so alot of help would be great...the cars under warrenty still and was brought in for high shifting before..she was told routine service was'nt performed and the tranny fluid was low...they supposedly topped it off and it worked fine up until last friday...please help me help her shes over 2 hours from any vw dealer and shes calling the local one down here tommorow but i know there gonna give her the run around so any info on this situation would be great...thanks...oh yeah it only has 40,000 miles on it
.....sorry its so long but i tried to give as much info as possible http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by RJB121, 7:57 PM 12-2-2001]

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: auto tranny problems help me help another!!! (RJB121)

40000 miles and the trans fluid and filter were changed when? My credo is do cheapest thing that can cure problem. Poor auto trans shifting is first caused by dirity fluid/filter, then by more expensive stuff like worn bands etc, so if she hasn't changed the trans fluid and filter yet, and I'm betting no, that could fix problem for little $$. Preventative maintenance is to prvent big bucks repairs....she change things like coolant, brake fluid etc? If not, clue her in!!!

#5 ·
Re: auto tranny problems help me help another!!! (spitpilot)

spitpilot,
thanks for replying i didnt think anyone was going to reply...i'll have to ask her to pull out the reciept and look to see if they changed the fluid or filter i know she has it...what they told her before was that the service wasnt performed so im not sure if they did what was supposed to be done or not...again thanks for replying ...if those have been changed whats next in line to cause these types of problems?

#6 ·
Re: auto tranny problems help me help another!!! (RJB121)

I know that this works in Passats (~1994-1997), so it MAY work for this car too (worth a try right?):
quote:[HR][/HR]>>
Clear out the shift computer. You'll see a huge difference.
Procedure:
1) Turn engine off.
2) Push gas pedal to floor.. must engage the full throttle switch.
3) Turn key on but do not start the car.
4) Count to 12.
5) Take your foot off the gas.
6) Start the car. Do not turn the key off before starting. Just turn Clockwise from the "On" position.
Your car will now drive like your grandmother had it the whole time. Nearly imperceptible shifts.. early upshifts, etc.
<<[HR][/HR]​

#7 ·
Re: auto tranny problems help me help another!!! (WannaCorrado)

thanks wanna corrado,
sound slike something wed try if it acts up again or soemthing i can ask the dealer about....wanna corrado huh?...i still miss mine after 3 years
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.