VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VW-BMW (aka Jim) was also there on Saturday, but I was working course while he ran and didn't get any pictures.
My wife is really getting better with the camera. Typically, the pictures she'd take at the auto-x looked like this

But later in the day she started getting ones like this (me):

Here's my mom going for a run with me

Here's Scott (flogger) on Saturday:

[Modified by gsrroger, 4:22 AM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: auto-x pics of me and flogger in Fort Wayne (gsrroger)

Now, hold on dial up guys, but here's a pretty cool photosequence of flogger going through the finish!

Scott was really fast this weekend! He got top 5 in a big STS class Saturday, and barely missed the trophies Sunday.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

So how did we do? Scott was by quite a bit the fastest of us Vortexers, although I placed better due to lack of competition
I was the fastest in GS on Saturday, and 3rd on Sunday (I count it as second, though, since 1st place was a nationally competitive driver in a Celica
).
Jim was 3rd, I think, in HS on Saturday. Is that right?
I've also got a photosequence of me, but I don't think I'll waste the bandwidth just yet. You can basically replace the silver rabbit with a red golf on a worse line, and that's what it'd look like

Anyhow it was really fun, and nice to meet Jim. The funny part is that I've known flogger for about a year, and never knew his username until this weekend
The internet is a strange place....

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: auto-x pics of me and flogger in Fort Wayne (beetle and gti 1.8t lover)

quote:[HR][/HR]Please tell me your having more fun now with you A2 then you ever did in your GSR.
[HR][/HR]​
Hard to say, both cars have their ups and downs. But, I'm autoxing and having fun, so that's the important part

·
Registered
735 Posts

Roger-
Great camera work! That's pretty cool. By any chance do you know which run# that photo sequence was from? I'd like to relate it to my run notes and my rapidly fading memory...
As for raw times, I think I may be in danger from you if you can get your old Kumhos working with some FormulaV or something. They had me working corner 2 while you ran and you looked pretty smooth, but without a lot of traction. You also seemed to be improving throughout the day.
Good job.
Something I don't understand though, is you told me you were fighting oversteer all day. I would think a bone stock , well worn A2 would understeer severely. Are you sure everything's working right and you didn't break a front sway bar mount or something? I'm curious how much of this might be a driving style thing as it relates to your GSR experience, too... hmmm...
Oh yeh, have you sent your photos to Ron Conrad?
Hope to see you at Peru.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: auto-x pics of me and flogger in Fort Wayne (flogger)

quote:[HR][/HR] Something I don't understand though, is you told me you were fighting oversteer all day. I would think a bone stock , well worn A2 would understeer severely. Are you sure everything's working right and you didn't break a front sway bar mount or something? I'm curious how much of this might be a driving style thing as it relates to your GSR experience, too... hmmm...
Oh yeh, have you sent your photos to Ron Conrad?
Hope to see you at Peru.[HR][/HR]​
Hi Scott - One thing I was thinking was that, with a front heavy car like a golf, the front tires will probably get a lot more heat than the rears... Also, I tend to drop the throttle when I turn in, which would unload the rear wheels as well..
On Sunday, I ran a little bit less pressure in the fronts, and it didn't seem to want to oversteer so much, or I just got used to it.
This weekend there is an auto-x in Detroit, and the weather is supposed to be warmer, and the surface isn't sealed, so I'm gonna see what it's like there.
I haven't heard any sort of noise from the front suspension under cornering, but I'll also admit that I've never specifically looked at the sway bar mounts, either! I'll take a peak next chance I get.
With the GSR, I could never get the front to grip as much as the back, so I think I got really used to braking late, just to get more weight on the front wheels. Maybe the golf already has enough up there

I'm gonna post the link to the pictures on the FWR website, but I haven't done it yet. I can't wait to see Ron's pics. All of my pics can be seen here
As far as I can remember, I think that sequence was your 1st or 2nd run. It was before I rode with you. By your fourth run, I was trying to get my car ready and in grid. I'm trying to figure out how to animate the jpg's into a gif file, but the program I found has to convert them to 256 colors, and it looks horrible after it does that...
I'm hoping to make it to Peru, too, I like that place.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: auto-x pics of me and flogger in Fort Wayne (Eric16v)

quote:[HR][/HR]man, he is pimpin in this shot
[HR][/HR]​
hehe, actually Scott is pretty tall and that's about as upright as he can sit. I'm only about 5'8" and I don't even have enough headroom in that car with my helmet on...

quote:[HR][/HR]Great pictures though. [HR][/HR]​
thanks!
edit - whoa, that was quite the typo - hope noone saw it

[Modified by gsrroger, 4:33 AM 4-12-2002]

·
Registered
2,032 Posts

Yeah! Nice shots. We just had 'run-offs' and first race 2 weekends ago. Then this past weekend was 2nd race of new season. I was kinda over it due to overexposure to the blistering Hawaii sun, but when I saw these pics it got me all psyched to go scrub some tires all over again. Thanks. Oh yeah, for those of you on broadband; shrink your window down to the size of one shot in the sequence, scroll down kinda quick and you get a little 'animation' happening. Peace.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E, 2021 Ford Bronco, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,307 Posts
Re: auto-x pics of me and flogger in Fort Wayne (Big Fundamental)

pretty crazy that the Rabbit is running in STS. i thought my car was old for that class, but it's cool to see an A1 in there too. why no DSP (i think it's DSP for an A1)??

·
Registered
8,406 Posts

Sorry to bring up and old thread, but I just found it via the search. I'm Jim BTW. I broke my front motor mount on my 3rd run at this event. I had to very carefully make my 45 mile trip home. Since then I have replaced the motor mount with a solid one and replaced the entire suspension. It's a mix of Boge, KYB, and H&R. The Jetta is having oil pressure problems currently, so I won't be back racing until I get the bigger oil pump, new lifters, timing belt, v-belts, and strut tie bar installed. The bigger oil pump is in the mail to me and everything else is in the garage. I can't wait to get back out there and thrash on the dubs with you guys.
The Jetta's new stance:

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: auto-x pics of me and flogger in Fort Wayne (VW-BMW)

quote:[HR][/HR]The Jetta's new stance:
[HR][/HR]​
Wow, that looks nice. I can't beleive your Jetta. I think my GTI has at least 100K more miles than your car
I'd love to find a super clean A2 GTI like that, except that I don't think I could afford it right now

·
Registered
8,406 Posts

Thanks for the compliments. Even with the low miles, some parts just go bad with age. Reliablility is killing me. I paid cash for it and got a pretty good deal, but I can barely afford to keep up with the repairs. Hopefully this latest round of work on the car will keep it happy for some time. Are you going to be at the Indy event in Anderson? I am going to be driving Randy's Ford Focus - the one that's all stickered up. I should have the Jetta in order for the next Ft. Wayne event.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Re: huh? (c0dex)

quote:[HR][/HR]arnt u not supposed to hit the cones? why r there so many nocked over?[HR][/HR]​
sometimes cones are tipped over to denote direction of a turn, or atleast in my chapter that is

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.