VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Re: Auto-X - stock for stock, who would win? THE ULTIMATE POLL. (Mr Spucial)

Umm...the Miata will school all (alteast from what I saw an auto-x event I went to). Then its MINI, Type-R, Protege (any kind..they 0wn), SRT-4. I think the GTI will place at the bottom of the list.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: Auto-X - stock for stock, who would win? THE ULTIMATE POLL. (Mr Spucial)

Quote, originally posted by Mr Spucial »

i'll second that and raise you a

obin

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Re: Auto-X - stock for stock, who would win? THE ULTIMATE POLL. (Obin Robinson)

Why not just find the online results to a large autox event and look at who did win.
J.

·
Registered
18,206 Posts
Re: Auto-X - stock for stock, who would win? THE ULTIMATE POLL. (Crazyquik)

i'll do the work. results are from last weekend's DC national tour.
mind you, all of these cars are in different classes, so they are EXPECTED to finish with different times. these are all cars in the 'stock' class, which is the least modified, but still allows some mods.
fastest stock miata (CS): 111.458
fastest integra type-r (DS): 110.238
fastest wrx (DS): 112.744
mini cooper s (GS): 110.480
fastest gti 1.8t: none ran
neon srt-4: none ran
mazdaspeed protege: none ran
The classes go AS -> HS -- where A should be faster (for anyone not familiar with autox classing)
The ITR was the fastest of the cars listed, but not by much over the mini! The ITR is also in a much higher (faster) class, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Re: Auto-X - stock for stock, who would win? THE ULTIMATE POLL. (John A)

Stock for stock with the same tires I think the MINI may win this one. Depends on the course I guess.
Here's a pic of an MCS and an M Coupe on the track. Check out the body roll on the M Coupe vs. the lowly MINI.

Modified by beerman2000122 at 5:46 PM 6-28-2003

·
Registered
2021 Ford F-150, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,273 Posts
Re: Auto-X - stock for stock, who would win? THE ULTIMATE POLL. (beerman2000122)

The VW will be eaten alive by the ITR and the Miata. Both are amazing handling machines, but the ITR is kinda cheating.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Re: Auto-X - stock for stock, who would ... (beerman2000122)

Quote, originally posted by beerman2000122 »
Stock for stock with the same tires I think the MINI may win this one. Depends on the course I guess.
Here's a pic of an MCS and an M Coupe on the track. Check out the body roll on the M Coupe vs. the lowly MINI.

Modified by beerman2000122 at 5:46 PM 6-28-2003

inconclusive. the Mini may well have already unwound for an upcoming straight, and we have no idea how fast either car is going. I do happen to know the owner of htat M Coupe and he's quite the impressive driver.

·
Registered
13,720 Posts
Re: Auto-X - stock for stock, who would ... (Rook)

Who ever voted for the GTI doesn't hav their head screwed on straight.
Personally this is how I'd rank them
ITR
MCS
Miata
Once you're out of the top 3 it doesn't really matter anyway to me
Mike

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: Auto-X - stock for stock, who would win? THE ULTIMATE POLL. (3WheelGTi)

The Miata is in the fastest stock class (CS). In the Detroit Region, we have some of the fastest Miata drivers in the country (well, for example, current C-Stock national champion Matt Braun, and his co driver Toby Curran, and Steve and Karen Telehowski). Miatas are sickly fast when people like that are driving them.
Type-R's are the second fastest on your list. My friend Matt just won a trophy at the Toledo National Tour in DS in his R, but he cannot get very close to the times that the big boys are laying down in their Miatas. For example, at the CenDiv event last weekend, Toby ran a total time of 87.8 Matt ran a 91.3 (beating hotshoe Jeff Robinson, also in a type-r, so Matt can drive like a mofo). A Neon won GS, with a 92.4, driven by a national-trophy winner. (hehe, and my pathetic civic eeked out a win in HS, but I doubt that will happen again).
The Mini's are quick, but they can't run with the Type-R (hence their recent "demotion" to GS).

·
Registered
17,649 Posts
Re: Auto-X - stock for stock, who would ... (VWMike81)

I live blocks away from the auto-x event that's posted in my signature. I go whenever its on, and the cars that most consistently get the top times are the Miatas.
As of late, I haven't seen many Type R's, if any. There are EVO's and WRX's that do great, but the Miatas generally own the best times.
BTW, there's an auto-x meet at the coliseum tomorrow, Sunday, 6/29 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
13,344 Posts
Re: Auto-X - stock for stock, who would ... (Big M)

I would think it would depend more on the driver than the car in this situation(being that they're so similar). I've seen Miatas beat Z06 corvettes and V-6 mustangs beat Mini coopers...

·
Registered
12,781 Posts
Re: Auto-X - stock for stock, who would ... (a2a4raddo)

Tough call, but I am assuming the Type R or Miata. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
23,018 Posts
Re: Auto-X - stock for stock, who would ... (PineappleMonkey)

Quote, originally posted by PineappleMonkey »
Driver.

Yeah...I was able to stomp GTIs and keep up with everything but Miatas and Integras (even the non Rs were prepped) at local autocrosses back when I did them in my Mirage.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts