VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Eh lame comparison. I highly doubt the BRZ can keep the 370 "in its rearview". Sounds like the author was being more sentimental about the drive feel than anything, but the BRZ is no 370Z match, at least without a turbo.

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
I want this car.

But I feel that it's a lateral move from my car.

I'm getting over low torque, awesome handling.

Don't think wifey will be happy if I come home with a 2+barely2 to replace my current 2+2

·
Banned
29,811 Posts
Eh lame comparison. I highly doubt the BRZ can keep the 370 "in its rearview". Sounds like the author was being more sentimental about the drive feel than anything, but the BRZ is no 370Z match, at least without a turbo.
Agreed. Z is up 125 hp and 100 ft/lbs and a better power-to-weight ratio :screwy:

Not saying the BRZ is a bad car, but the Z is not the best car to compare it to, imo.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
They were reviewing the cars on a twisty road were handling matters more then flat out speed. The BRZ would shine on a road like this while the 370z would feel like it handled like a pig because of the weight.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
True. We've seen the specs. This is writer fluff. They do this with just about all new cars. The Z is in a totally different performance class and will blow the BRZ's doors off. As would a Mustang. For $3K more than the BRZ Premium you have M3 performance and ability in the Mustang GT.

But keeping this as a fairly apples to apples comparison, the BRZ stands out very well amongst it's peers like the Miata. Give us a 250HP STi version and then we can make Z comparisons.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
They were reviewing the cars on a twisty road were handling matters more then flat out speed. The BRZ would shine on abroad like this while the 370z would feel like it handled like a pig because of the weight.
While I understand what the author was trying to say, and what you are trying to say as well, the Z still has better handling numbers. Higher skidpads, slalom's, etc. so to say the BRZ actually handles better is not true. While I can agree the BRZ may feel to be more of the driver's car and may seem more composed through the corners, it is really not, and is not fair to the Z. The author was letting his personal preferences speak to performance.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
While I understand what the author was trying to say, and what you are trying to say as well, the Z still has better handling numbers. Higher skidpads, slalom's, etc. so to say the BRZ actually handles better is not true. While I can agree the BRZ may feel to be more of the driver's car and may seem more composed through the corners, it is really not, and is not fair to the Z. The author was letting his personal preferences speak to performance.
Whoa, skidpad and slalom numbers only mean so much in the real world. Ever drive a Z? Once you manage to see out it feels like driving a tank. It's kind of like a Japanese Mustang really; capable but not a great dance partner.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Whoa, skidpad and slalom numbers only mean so much in the real world. Ever drive a Z? Once you manage to see out it feels like driving a tank. It's kind of like a Japanese Mustang really; capable but not a great dance partner.
I owned a 370Z for a year. It did not feel like driving a tank...for some reason people think 3400lbs is terribly heavy these days, but it's not. Compared to any other V6 coupe/roadster that is competitive weight. I know you will bring up the Miata / S2000 etc. but the Z is not an autocrosser, however it can handle itself around the twisties just fine. The 370Z gets crap because it barely beat or slightly trailed its former self..the 350Z..around a track. But it had very big shoes to fill, and is by no means the tank of slouch people make it out to be.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I owned a 370Z for a year. It did not feel like driving a tank...for some reason people think 3400lbs is terribly heavy these days, but it's not. Compared to any other V6 coupe/roadster that is competitive weight. I know you will bring up the Miata / S2000 etc. but the Z is not an autocrosser, however it can handle itself around the twisties just fine. The 370Z gets crap because it barely beat or slightly trailed its former self..the 350Z..around a track. But it had very big shoes to fill, and is by no means the tank of slouch people make it out to be.
I wouldn't say the 370Z is a slouch; it is just physically larger than a Miata and is very confining feeling. Turn the wheel, press the gas; the car will do what you ask of it; but to me the Z's never felt as engaging or controllable as a smaller car. For me the personal preference is to a smaller, lighter car even at the sacrifice of power output.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
0-62 MPH in 7.6 seconds..:facepalm: :thumbdown:
Would it kill you to just stay out of threads regarding this car? We ALL know, you only care how fast it is or isn't in a straight line. We get it. We've heard enough out of you so stop ruining EVERY thread you go into.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
People need to stop measuring car purely on the numbers, I know a few journalists who have tested the BRZ and have come out raving about it, and these are people who have driven lots of really fast cars.
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow is a very true statement. I have no doubt the BRZ could keep up with the "Zed" on mountain road, as could the MX-5

·
Registered
44,818 Posts
True. We've seen the specs. This is writer fluff. They do this with just about all new cars. The Z is in a totally different performance class and will blow the BRZ's doors off. As would a Mustang. For $3K more than the BRZ Premium you have M3 performance and ability in the Mustang GT.

But keeping this as a fairly apples to apples comparison, the BRZ stands out very well amongst it's peers like the Miata. Give us a 250HP STi version and then we can make Z comparisons.
On a really tight infield road course, or any scenario where brute power didn't get a chance to shine, I wouldn't bet against the BRZ.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts