Faster
More fuel efficient
Has more TQ
+ a better gearbox
a better ride
a roomier cabin and boot
a slightly more "expensive" feeling interior
more "grownup" and "discrete" styling inside and out, if that's your thing

it really is too bad the active suspension will most likely not make it to the US. But VW has said they plan on lots of specialty editions of the GTI, so I guess it's not totally out of the question. Maybe they'll include it on the next US-spec Golf R.

·
Registered
golf cart hatchback
6,013 Posts
Personal preference maybe??

I dont know how hard this is to understand.
which is fine, but it's annoying when people post these kind of comments with no sensible explanation as to why, which the guy ended up doing.

it's good to know we have people like you in the forums who can interpret other posters' thoughts and intentions when they provide vague and empty posts.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
which is fine, but it's annoying when people post these kind of comments with no sensible explanation as to why, which the guy ended up doing.

it's good to know we have people like you in the forums who can interpret other posters' thoughts and intentions when they provide vague and empty posts.
This guy doesn't care if you approve. Pretty much nobody is reading this crap anyway.

·
Registered
golf cart hatchback
6,013 Posts
Arguing about which hot hatch looks more "grown up" is like arguing which polo shirt and flip-flops will look better in court. Besides, the ST doesn't have any garish hood scoop or massive rear spoiler a la Evo or WRX.
well maybe not, but I'm sure there will be more than a few people who know what I'm trying say. The utterly practical "box" look has always been a GTI hallmark, and it's easy to see the the ST has a bit more of a "racy" kind of thing going, but you're right, it could be a lot worse.

As far as the interior, the GTI still has that really straightforward "businesslike" (some might say cold) German kind of design, albeit executed with beautiful detailing and nice materials. The Focus interior is a little more edgy and daring in my opinion, but I still really like it.

·
Registered
golf cart hatchback
6,013 Posts
This guy doesn't care if you approve.
lol...okay. I don't care that you don't care, how's that? neener neener.

If you look at some of the other posts in the Car Lounge, you may find that there are a lot of people who do indeed "read this crap". So while there may be some who don't give bloody cum fart that "you'd probably still get the ST", there are bound to be a few others who think you're a smug retard for posting half-sentence comments with no explanation or reason behind them. Kind of one of the points of a public forum.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
lol...okay. I don't care that you don't care, how's that? neener neener.

If you look at some of the other posts in the Car Lounge, you may find that there are a lot of people who do indeed "read this crap". So while there may be some who don't give bloody cum fart that "you'd probably still get the ST", there are bound to be a few others who think you're a smug retard for posting half-sentence comments with no explanation or reason behind them. Kind of one of the points of a public forum.
You're so serious.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
well maybe not, but I'm sure there will be more than a few people who know what I'm trying say. The utterly practical "box" look has always been a GTI hallmark, and it's easy to see the the ST has a bit more of a "racy" kind of thing going, but you're right, it could be a lot worse.
Eh, even then... The Focus's only main styling elements are a big black grille and a small hatch spoiler. The GTI has the latter, along with that red stripe. a smaller but still distinct lower grille and those Wolverine lines at the corner of the bumpers. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say the Focus's raciness is maybe a 4, and the GTI's is a 3. The ST looks about as "racy" as a Fusion.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
at the end of the day, isn't it nice that we live in a world where both are an option? I don't think you could buy either of these cars and feel like you lost out on something.
I suspect the real dyno numbers for HP are much closer for the cars as VW tends to underrate the GTI.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the GTI due to my very poor experiences with Ford and my 2011 mustang, but even with all that, I think its transmission choice that will seal the deal for me. GTI with DSG > ST with manual for my current needs. I didn't care for the DSG on my R32, but quite a few people have noted that it suits the turbo cars much better than the old vr6.

·
Registered
24,098 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I'd probably still get the ST.
I already made up my mind (and I have always been a fan of the GTI). ;)

To me, the major advantage of the MK7 is going to be the differential. All other specs are very close, and most other items simply come down to personal preference.

I am extremely thrilled that an American company has finally made a car that could even be compared to the GTI, not to mention, beat the MK6 in many comparisons, including my own! This is my first domestic in over 20 years, and there is definitely a sense of pride in supporting the 'home team' by driving an American car, built right in Detroit (specifically Wayne, MI). In addition to performing extremely well, and being loaded with all of the right features, it can be purchased and serviced at my neighborhood Ford dealer for a reasonable price - a BIG plus right there!

81 - 100 of 280 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.