VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: !¿VW A2 Auto to Manual swap, back-up lights wiring ?!! (rychas1)

well yeah but what do i have to do with the park safety switch. do i ground it out or just leave it unplugged or sire it to itself?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Re: !¿VW A2 Auto to Manual swap, back-up lights wiring ?!! (Blackflash99)

ive been waiting for one of these. awesome write up!

·
Registered
8,680 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rychas1 »
starting the engine has nothing to do with the tranny. its completely mechanical..something else is not correct. start with the basics. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif park/neutral safety only affects not starting in anything other than 'P'.

the only problem is that he no longer has park
its in the begining write up on this thread...you have to jumper two of the wires together to bypass the park safety.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Re: !¿VW A2 Auto to Manual swap, back-up lights wiring ?!! (justinvw84)

ok. i think i see it now. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
61 Posts

ok i connected to the two black/red wires together but when i crank the key it still doesnt start. but the weir part is when the one black/red wires touches a yellow/black wire it will crank even if the key is just on the on position. do i have something wrong somewhere else in the car? thanks

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Re: !¿VW A2 Auto to Manual swap, back-up lights wiring ?!! (Blackflash99)

the pics of the wire jumps dont have enough detail, its confusing me. can someone tell me how to get rid of that damn auto selector switch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Automatic to Manual Swap How to for the FAQ! (vwjettalikewhoa)

Why is it necessary to change the throttle body?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Re: Automatic to Manual Swap How to for the FAQ! (Bobcr)

Quote, originally posted by Bobcr »
Why is it necessary to change the throttle body?

The linkage is different.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Re: Automatic to Manual Swap How to for the FAQ! (atarasi)

my 010 crapped out again, I'm think about doing this. It's cheaper than a $400/month car payment.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Re: Automatic to Manual Swap How to for the FAQ! (davidlo)

Quote, originally posted by davidlo »
Here is a visual guide of what parts you need:
(credit to: http://www.dvw.com.tw)

picture is also missing check valve tube that runs off the booster. rubber intake tube with both smaller tubes, intake manifold, reverse switch on tranny, plus a few other things i need to check on

·
Registered
714 Posts
Re: Automatic to Manual Swap How to for the FAQ! (Samz09)

wow very nice im getting ready to do a 2.0l 8v swap in my 90 jetta and a auto to 5 speed swap is there and post on the full swap like everything i will need to do it all if so pm me a link

·
Registered
47 Posts
TTT Thanks for the write up, it helped alot thru the process! One question regarding the neutral safety switch. We have swapped everything in to a 91 golf 1.8v. I dont understand how to do the neutral safety switch! We took the starter interlock relay out and jumped #3 and #4 on the fuse relay panel. It actually started and drove about 5 times in 30 mins so i know it wasn't a fluk and i know everything works. We parked it and started aligning the shifter and went to start it back and nothing! We are now popping the #5 fuse which is wiper bladed relay everytime we try and turn the key over:screwy:. So how do i actually bypass the switch for good? The pictures up top do not match any wires i have around the shifter box. plz help

·
Registered
177 Posts
might sound like a dumb question, but i just bought a MkII (1987 to be specific) that someone started a 2.0 ABA swap and also started to convert the car from automatic to manual. the 2.0 is out of a MkIII (1995) jetta and i need a trans for it. what manual trans can i bolt up to this motor? also, would it matter what shift box and linkage i used? like, could i use them from a MkII? or would i have to use a box and linkage from a MkIII? again, i dont mean to sound dumb. i keep thinking it over on what i would need and the thoughts keep getting mixed up :banghead:. any help from an outside source would be appreciated

·
Registered
15 Posts
awesome post =] im planning on doing an auto to manual swap this summer :D i will probably have tons of questions. thanks!!!

41 - 60 of 85 Posts