VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been wondering and I REALLY need to figure out HOW to tell if my car has had the service campaign done to the tranny. From what I know the dealer is supposed to install some resistor wire somewhere for the TCM. But WHERE is this wire installed? I've called VWOA and asked them if my car has had this done and they wont tell me! And my dealer says they cant research it cause they only have my records since I've lived here. ANd my parents dont remember ever taking it in for any work. So where oh where is this wire supposed to go?!
THANKS!!

· Registered
4,853 Posts
Re: Automatic tranny Recall/service campaign (Hindenburg)

it would be located right by the tcm, if it's there it will be a obvious splice within a few inches of the tcm itself. also, if not mistaken(dont' hold me to it) the splice resistor wire is blue.

· Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hmmm Wondering... can I install this wire myself if they wont do it for me? Cause I've already asked them to, and apparently they have not.

· Registered
4,853 Posts

i was actually thinking about this today, my 95 passat had a recall, tq? maybe, regardless it was tcm related but required wiring by the fuse box. a3 jetta, and golf's definetly had the splice by tcm, but the passat for some reason may be different.........just figured i would correct my previous post as it may not be 100% accurate

· Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Automatic tranny Recall/service campaign (85vrcoupe)

OK so you've actually seen them do the recall? Cause I have some really weird looking wire splice right near my fuse box. Has this yellow (i think it's yellow) resistor holder on a single wire going to the fuse box, and it's coming from that wire harness below the centre console.
Thanks 85! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
98 Posts

Speaking of auto trannys - has anyone had a problem with theirs 'kicking' and revving/shifting at weird points? Mine's doing just that - it's kicking a little when it upshifts and drops revvs, and I'm not sure what the problem is...
Anyone had experience with this?

· Registered
49 Posts
Re: Automatic tranny Recall/service campaign (Cowboy)

mine also kicks/revs occasionally but not often enough to pinpoint when and why...
under heavy use - hills/highways(San Francisco) on vacation, it hesitated so badly at least 3 different times in one day - i was afraid to drive it home - had it checked out by a transmission place the local VW dealer recommended - they found nothing wrong
that was 4+ months ago and it's been fine ever since

forgot to mention - it's an auto tranny, that had to be replaced almost 4 years ago with only 15,000 miles on it - it started acting strangley then refused to go into reverse - fortunately I had just bought it and it was "certified used" and VW took care of it - they said it was probably defective since new and that there were no known problems with the transmissions in general...

Modified by Donna at 10:16 PM 1-8-2004

Modified by Donna at 10:50 PM 1-8-2004

· Registered
334 Posts
Re: Automatic tranny Recall/service campaign (Cowboy)

Similar but not exactly the same. Mine would have problems downshifting from drive to 3rd gear. When I'm driving and it shifts all the way to 4th gear everything is fine. The problem occurs when I get to about 40 mph, revving at 1500 rpm, I step on the accelerator and that's when it "kicks" (shudders). I also note the temperature. It seems to do it more often when the coolant temp is about 200 F.

I thought it was fixed when I changed the tranny fluid. It didn't do anything for awhile until recently it started again.
Anyone know or heard of this? I hope it's not the tranny. It's only got 35,000 miles. Unless the guy had it before me trashed the tranny.

· Registered
4,853 Posts

yes definetly a recall on some models, was on my 95 passat and he said others were involved also. what you describe done to your car is the recall. on the same car i had the trans and tcm replaced, trans when still under original owner and i had the tcm goodwilled(good to be in the business) the tcm solved my shifting problem, car would just down shift violently and stay in low gear, new tcm solved it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.