VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1990 Jetta that is all stock with the 1.8 and automatic transmission. I was wondering is there a way to adjust the kickdown cable or does it even have and adjustment. Mine runs and shifts fine but seem to shift really quick and doesn't down shift like I would expect it to......like when it slows on a big hill or something.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It's an old outdated 3 speed it sucks imo. I currently have one and I breathe a sign of relief every time it shifts. You have to really mat it to drop a gear. I'm not sure on the adjustments but the gears are so long I don't think it really needs to

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Look for a linkage that is interconnected with the throttle cable.
There should be one, and if you make the adjustment it should wake the car up.
I did this to a dodge 2.2 charger, and first shifted at 45MPH.
I have a Vanagon and can adjust mine so it shifts about redline, though, on it is doesn't help that much on the performance side due to 90HP and 3800LB of weight.

And buy a bottle of Lucas Trans No-slip, it will help the transmission with its shifts and overall stall speed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!
I actually had a idea of which cable it was and how to adjust. I was just hoping to get some info on it from somebody that has done it before. I went ahead and made the adjustment today and what a HUGE difference. Yesterday if I put it to the floor off the line it would shift to 2nd at 4000 rpm.....way to early. Now it pulls all the way to redline before shifting. It also just made it drive a lot better around town. I may do a write up and put it on here to show how to do it. Really simple job that most of them probably need because that cable stretches over time.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Thanks guys!
I actually had a idea of which cable it was and how to adjust. I was just hoping to get some info on it from somebody that has done it before. I went ahead and made the adjustment today and what a HUGE difference. Yesterday if I put it to the floor off the line it would shift to 2nd at 4000 rpm.....way to early. Now it pulls all the way to redline before shifting. It also just made it drive a lot better around town. I may do a write up and put it on here to show how to do it. Really simple job that most of them probably need because that cable stretches over time.
Thanks again!
:thumbup::thumbup:
Great to hear this oldschool trick.
Turns the "autotragic" into "automagic"

·
Registered
1 Posts
good day every body . i just made some adjustments on the kickdown switch .i changed the curve of the switch trigger and the sooner the throttle can trigger that switch it more rpm before it will shift .now o was wondering if i could wire it to a switch in the car so i could activate it on a switch . or wire it to be on all the time . has any one tried that before ?? if it would work it would be nice . then you can keep in the power curve even when it shifts .did that with my 1990 Plymouth Voyager (v6 with the 3 speed auto ). it was a dog . shifting way too early .never reached the power range . with the adjustment made it goes like a bat with its butt on fire . people even noticed how quick it was . lol shocked a lot of people . hope this may help some and hope to hear if someone tried wiring it to be on all the time or not . thanks guys .be safe .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts