VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION TROUBLE

Had a couple of times where my automatic transmission won't shift into 4 gear (Overdirve?) Any thoughts or cures for you DubVeterens. This is a 1999.5 2.slow again with an automatic trans. After shutting off the car, it goes back to switching gears as it normally does. Am I looking at a new transmission $$$$$ ? Any way to fix/cure this?

HELP ME

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION TROUBLE (dubberdave)

When's the last time you changed your transmission fluid. It maybe time. I would definately check the fluid level. Next thing would be to check all the connections to the transmission control moduel, make sure they're clean and tight. Thats about all I can suggest anything further would be out of my league.

·
Registered
343 Posts

you're not getting overdrive most likely because the car goes into a limp mode. it disables overdrive on purpose and i'm sure the CHEC ENGINE light went off too. when you turn the car off and restart it, it resets the limp mode until the transmission computer recognizes the problem again, setting you into a limp mode.
take it to the dealer if covered under warranty, or good transmission shop that will back their work up with a warranty (aamco, etc.)
if you continue to drive it, you will eventually lose 3rd gear and inflict further damage to what may be just a faulty solenoid.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Re: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION TROUBLE (joshmckin)

You definitely want to have it checked by a shop. But as stated above, a new fluid change might fix the problem. I had the same problem with an electronic shift (like ours) 4 sp Ford that would not shift into overdrive. The valve housing was cracked and I told them to change the fluid, I drove it for another 6 years with no overdrive. Worked fine just revved faster at highway speeds
The guy I sold it to still drives it today, and said it works fine without it. That is one the beauties of automatics.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Re: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION TROUBLE (BostonMk4)

Quote, originally posted by BostonMk4 »
The auto tranny is a sealed system. No dipstick to check the level.

don't let that stop you from changing it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION TROUBLE (baomo)

Hold on everyone...I gotta update. My buddy put me on his VAG-COM and he found a bunch of codes(if you want them let me know). It was the "gear box speed sensor 0300". Well that did it. He re-set my system( a whole bunch of stuff ) and the car works great for now.
Oh, one more thing(Great story) The VW service writer guy writes me up and start to give him the codes..
"I don't need those, they will re-do the VAG-COM and it will tell the mechanics what's wrong." Next he says.." if the transmission is working now, don't mess with it. Just fix it later when it won't shift again."
What frickin logic is that??? Am I the idiot?
More stories next week after the repair is finished...

·
Banned
1,183 Posts

what were the codes?
if somethings wrong it'll just go back into limp mode. from what i understand VW won't work on the transmission aside from selling you a rebuilt, or new TCM.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Re: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION TROUBLE (BostonMk4)

Quote, originally posted by BostonMk4 »
The auto tranny is a sealed system. No dipstick to check the level.

That has got to be the most awful post in this forum, ever.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Re: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION TROUBLE (Hindenburg)

Quote, originally posted by Hindenburg »

Not sure what you meant... it is true

·
Registered
25,084 Posts
Re: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION TROUBLE (Hindenburg)

Quote, originally posted by Hindenburg »

yes please expand on this one

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Re: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION TROUBLE (abe1.8t)

The 01M may not have a dipstick, but that does not mean there is no way to check the fluid level.

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
Re: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION TROUBLE (DaFabolous2.0)

plus, hook up a VAG-COM and see if you get any DTC's from the tranny... also, try resetting the TCM and see if that works..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hye, I have been have the same problem on my 94 sl.ow.
It doesn't always go into 4th. Recently it started to "slip" when in 4th, as if I were pusing in a virtual clutch or something.
I rebuilt a clutch set that had two clutch plates side by side, with a missing steel ring. and it still slips.
The bad dog is off the road, so I'll gues I get a 10-day and visit the boys @ vw

1 - 15 of 15 Posts