VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase a boost gauge. I am deciding between the AutoMeter SportComp and the VDO Vision series. My question is which one to buy. I know that some people have had issues (rattles) with their VDO gauges, but have been able to fix that with extra tubing or foam or in-line fuel filters. I have not heard of any problems with the AutoMeter gauges.
I would like the gauge to match the interior as much as possible and I don't want to spend the $ for an Omori or AutoMeter Cobalt.
Can I make the AutoMeter look like OEM, or should I go with the VDO Vision and deal with the rattles?
Thanks for your help.......

Jon

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Re: Autometer or VDO.....Help me decide (juggernut)

I have autometer silver series and the work fine, but They are not even close to matching the dash...It looks like a personal call.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Re: Autometer or VDO.....Help me decide (Turbo_Pumpkin)

i have the white faced fantom guages from autometer, with the black outside bez.
It looks sweet when you have the red bulb cap on, it matches all the red lights inthe car!

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Re: Autometer or VDO.....Help me decide (1.8T Jon)

VDO matches the stock gauges really well (font). However, the finish comes off very easy. So now I have magic marker covering all the little brass spots showing through

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Autometer or VDO.....Help me decide (SlvrBllt)

Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming.
I want to look OEM as the wife is not very "mod friendly". She is not going to have her car looking like "something from the Fast and the Furious". Tasteful, low key mods are best.
Any more ideas? It sounds like autometer is the way to go. Which line should I go with? Sport comp, ultra-light, or phantom?
Jon

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
Any more ideas? It sounds like autometer is the way to go. Which line should I go with? Sport comp, ultra-light, or phantom?
Jon[HR][/HR]​
if you're going to go autometer.. know that the phantom are white faced and if you are worried about your wife, those are probably going to be the most offensive looking gauges in your car..
sport comp has a very vintage look with the original bulb. it's not back lit, so it will look more like a red glow then anything else. if you don't mind, then go for it.
i'm not too familiar with the ultra series.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Autometer or VDO.....Help me decide (nrml)

I definately want a black face that is back-lit so I guess I am limited to the VDO. Is this correct?
Thanks for the info.
Jon

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: Autometer or VDO.....Help me decide (SlvrBllt)

The Autometer Phantom series with black bezel is what I use...I just ordered the Blue diffusers from Autometer and its so damn similiar in color to my OEM color that I can really not tell the difference...Best part was the light covers costed me a whopping total of $2.50 for a pack of 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts

if you want to look stock definitely get omori gauges.
i know that axeangel had some vdo's and i saw his cluster, it looks really stock.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Autometer or VDO.....Help me decide (SuShady)

Thanks,
I am going with the VDO vision, and an adjustable mounting cup (from http://www.egauges.com). I am also getting some extra tubing so I can have a few feet slack. I will use double sided tape and a red/blue bulb and I am set!!!!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

When you do the install the nylon tubing sucks ass I would try and use something else. When you try and run it it kinks some times, like when you put it through your firewall, it kinks hella easy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Hey, great info. Any ideas on other tubing? Thick-walled rubber tubing?

[Modified by 1.8T Jon, 2:45 PM 5-31-2002]

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Yea the rubber tubing would be best, but the problem your gonna find it trying to connect the end to the boost guage, it wants that nylon tubing. There is some guy out there that did it I should have the link at home and will post it for you. Or you can go MacGyver style on it and figure something out.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts

i had the autometer procomp ultralite.. and i didnt like it because not enough light got through surrounding the gauge... and i got a vdo... and its much better... each of the numbers and lines are showing through 10x better than the autometer ever did....
i even tried blue led's inside the autometer and it made it worse than putting a regular bulb in there... but with the vdo..... the display comes out very cleanly

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Re: Autometer or VDO.....Help me decide (mrdejected)

quote:[HR][/HR]i had the autometer procomp ultralite.. and i didnt like it because not enough light got through surrounding the gauge... and i got a vdo... and its much better... each of the numbers and lines are showing through 10x better than the autometer ever did....
i even tried blue led's inside the autometer and it made it worse than putting a regular bulb in there... but with the vdo..... the display comes out very cleanly[HR][/HR]​
I have the red cap over my bulb and they are pretty bright got not problem seeing them in the dark at all. And it matches the redish color of the controlls on the dash

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Autometer or VDO.....Help me decide (trbo-4)

very nice http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I just ordered the VDO boost gauge. I am going to hold out for the column mount someone on the vortex is going to make. It will look sooooo sweeeeetttttt!!!!
If I do McGuyver something I will definately let you all know.
How do you post pictures?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts