VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As happens not too infrequently, I attended a local Cars and Coffee this weekend. For those in the Philly area, it's the one at Just Joe's in Chester Springs. I guess this is my local event, though it's not all that local. It's a nice event with some nice cars, but not the fanciest in the area. I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to show up, for example. In fact, I expected to buy a cup of coffee, looks at some cars, and head back. But it didn't quite go that way. When I pull in initially, I see a single Polestar 2 in a spot. That got my attention as I never saw one in person. Before I knew it, several others showed up. Is this a Polestar 2 meet up? I eventually go over to look at one of them and notice the manufacturer plate:

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

I start looking around it and notice a sticker that tells me what I'm looking at:
Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior Gadget Gas

I take another pic and then start looking at the interior:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

As I'm taking in the interior, a lady with a clipboard runs over and asks me if I want to sit in it. Yes. Yes, I do. So I sit in it. She gives me a 3-4 mins spiel and asks if I want to drive it. Well of course I want to drive it! And I politely answered, yes to that as well. As we're going through the motions, she tells me that her job is to not only do private appts for potential customer, but to show up to car events and get the word out. Cars and Coffee is a great place to do that. So maybe others on here will or have experienced this already.

I had about 10 miles in the car and the rep was with me. I was quite interested in driving a more modern EV than what I've been used to. I drove a first gen Volt, an i3, and although not a full EV, (similar to the Volt I suppose) a Karma. The Polestar 2 seems to be among the most current of the next generation of "normal cars". Assuming you believe we're all going full electric in 10-15 yrs. So what was it like? Unless you must have the speed or the charging network of other options, this drove very nicely. It looks very well built, with some nice interior materials and a clean design. Typical modern Volvo. Everything else was like we've come to expect from a full EV---smooth, quiet, fairly quick. Steering had nice weight to it, but that's about all I noticed there. The ride was firm, but not harsh. The rep kept talking about doing donuts, and admittedly, for a second, I was excited. But she meant that we would drive in a circles to experience the turning radius. Eh, ok there.

It was a perfectly pleasant car. It seemed like a very viable alternative to an ICE car from an operation and experience perspective. The only thing I didn't really like was the extensive "throttle" lag. I had to move the pedal like a quarter of its total travel to get the vehicle to start creeping ahead. That was the only annoying aspect to the vehicle. The instantaneous torque was nice, but certainly not enough to make me want to sell anything I currently have. It's kind of a boring car all things considered. Acceleration was the only noteworthy thing I experienced in my brief time with it. So I reiterate my historic thought that EVs make great commuters, but at this point, I wouldn't want one as an actual fun car.

If I was looking for an EV right now to be a commuter? I would definitely have a look at this car. It's a very nice car to drive, it's just not exciting or fun, which is probably not the point of this (despite being a Polestar!).

Some other pics:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

(in for comments on all the other cars in the background; the hotrod is owned by the owner of a local Porsche/German car shop)

·
Registered
30,285 Posts
Came for the traveling exotic dancer trope, leaving disappointed

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I’m really surprised I haven’t seen many of these at all yet in my coastal elite bubble here. I have only seen one on a static display in Boston somewhere. None on the road.

I did consider waiting for a polestar 2 rather than go with a Model 3. The hatch is practical and the interior is light years ahead. I do understand the google based infotainment was basically in beta shape when shipped, hopefully that has rapidly improved with OTA updates.

Price wise you were looking at maybe a 10k premium over a similarly specced Model 3 dual motor. However you would get the full 7500 fed rebate on the P2. So, 3k for a hatchback and a better interior, but without the same performance or access to the SC network.

·
Registered
28,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was it one of the new single-motor entry-level models? They've improved performance on the latest AWD ones and are tweaking the handling
You're asking the wrong person. The one image I posted above has all the specs (300 KW) I know about what I drove. I also think there can be a difference between something that pulls lap times and something engaging to drive. I didn't drive the car hard enough in turns to know what I'd even want them to change. Though I'm also not sure I'd buy an AWD version because it benefits from some chassis tweaking. Greater range would really be what would get me into an AWD version, not performance.

Sticky, with a strong scent of cigarette smoke and shame?

The P2 is pretty expensive compared to some of the newer offerings (Model 3, ID4, etc.), no?
Now that you mention it, I did feel slightly filthy after the drive. Regarding price, I have no idea. I remember seeing reviews of these like 4-6 months ago and then I completely forgot about them until last Saturday.

I’m really surprised I haven’t seen many of these at all yet in my coastal elite bubble here. I have only seen one on a static display in Boston somewhere. None on the road.

I did consider waiting for a polestar 2 rather than go with a Model 3. The hatch is practical and the interior is light years ahead. I do understand the google based infotainment was basically in beta shape when shipped, hopefully that has rapidly improved with OTA updates.

Price wise you were looking at maybe a 10k premium over a similarly specced Model 3 dual motor. However you would get the full 7500 fed rebate on the P2. So, 3k for a hatchback and a better interior, but without the same performance or access to the SC network.
I'm not sure they're fully out there for sale---and they appear to available only through dedicated Polestar-only dealers. Which probably explains why you aren't seeing them on the road: no one knows they exist, there probably aren't many to choose from, and many have no idea where to buy one. By me, the rep said Princeton is the only place I could buy a P2. No thank you to that one. There's a Tesla dealer and all the other brands that sell an EV that's much closer.

I did forget to mention a few thing. It's definitely got decent room, though headroom in the back was lacking. The rep kept wanting to talk to me about the tech, but I was far more interested in the drive. She was very impressed with the stereo, proceeding to blare some Skynyrd. I also tried out the Polestar version of autopilot. Eh, seemed super gimmicky to me. To sum up the overall experience, the reps seemed trained to highlight the tech and safety (there was some type of magic arm that stops collisions from occurring?) stuff and very little awareness of anything related to performance or fun.

You are correct about the rebate---the rep went on ad nauseum about the rebate and that they were valuing trade-ins thousands above bluebook value. I will say that from an acceleration perspective, I don't know what you'd really want much more than what the 300 KW version brings to the table. Seemed way more than adequate to move past most of what you encounter on the street.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
IMO these cars would look so much better without the silly black plastic cladding.

·
Registered
GLI 35 - Cross Sport 4Motion
841 Posts
300kw is the dual motor and that white one is completely packaged out around $60-65k. The interiors look really nice but if I were looking in this segment id probably throw in with the Model 3 performance crowd for a truly fun EV experience. Polestars are coming in pretty high in the segment and if I wanted pure luxury id probably just wait for BMWs offerings. This is of course my own opinion, im just not excited by the polestars.

·
Registered
736 Posts
300kw is the dual motor and that white one is completely packaged out around $60-65k. The interiors look really nice but if I were looking in this segment id probably throw in with the Model 3 performance crowd for a truly fun EV experience. Polestars are coming in pretty high in the segment and if I wanted pure luxury id probably just wait for BMWs offerings. This is of course my own opinion, im just not excited by the polestars.
I feel like the FWD variant will be the one to buy for most people.

·
Registered
A couple of CUVs
2,596 Posts
Just an FYI in case OP or anyone isn't aware- "Polestar" is no longer Volvo's brand for performance/ tuning/ sport/ fun-to-drive character etc, and instead Geely's brand for Tech /Innovation/ Electrification. There are almost no sport intentions with this car at all.

I'm not sure I'd write off EVs being fun cars after driving what is arguably the EV successor to the Volvo S60 Cross Country. Not exactly a Taycan competitor.

·
Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,112 Posts
This Polestar 2 is exactly just an EV Volvo. Kinda nice, kinda boring, kinda pricey. A formula that has worked in small quantities for many years with varying levels of success.

If Volvo could release a V60 T8 Polestar with a Model 3 drivetrain and some other Tesla UX features, I'd drop $80k I think.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 325ic, both blue
2,410 Posts
I wish they would do a BEV S60. I guess it’s not on the same platform as the XC40 Recharge, which I also like. Shame though, because the S60 is really a beautiful car to my eyes.

If you buy a Polestar, can you have it serviced at your local Volvo dealer?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I wish they would do a BEV S60. I guess it’s not on the same platform as the XC40 Recharge, which I also like. Shame though, because the S60 is really a beautiful car to my eyes.

If you buy a Polestar, can you have it serviced at your local Volvo dealer?
There is a PHEV S60, fwiw. I heard it’s a little finicky, it’s also got the turbo and supercharger. It’s definitely not uncomplicated.

·
Registered
28,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Given how BMW has been compromising on the dynamics of their ICE cars for the last 2-3 generations, I don't think BMW will give you the experience you may be expecting. I think if I was looking for an EV at this point, I think I'd be silly to not at least consider a Tesla (Model 3 or Y). But this Volvo is sort of like the Jag EV in that it rides the line of a sedan and CUV, so it can sort of compete in form with several different offerings. But in my head, I think the the Mach-E GT would be top of my list. Of course, that could all fall apart after driving them and looking into any differences in charging/range/etc.

I'm not sure I'd write off EVs being fun cars after driving what is arguably the EV successor to the Volvo S60 Cross Country. Not exactly a Taycan competitor.
I mean a Taycan Turbo S is what, $200k? There isn't much else, IMO, that could compete with that level of overall performance, but it's also exceedingly more expensive. And when you get to a base Taycan, I think I'd rather just have the higher level version of things like the Model 3, Mach-E GT, etc.

If I want something with rapid acceleration, there are many EV options across different price points that could fit the bill. The few EVs I've driven have all been pleasant to drive. They would be amazing drivetrains in something like an S class or 7 series. But I don't really have any designs to trade in my fun ICE vehicles for an EV with sporting intentions (not that there's really much out there at the moment in this category).

·
Registered
A couple of CUVs
2,596 Posts
Given how BMW has been compromising on the dynamics of their ICE cars for the last 2-3 generations, I don't think BMW will give you the experience you may be expecting. I think if I was looking for an EV at this point, I think I'd be silly to not at least consider a Tesla (Model 3 or Y). But this Volvo is sort of like the Jag EV in that it rides the line of a sedan and CUV, so it can sort of compete in form with several different offerings. But in my head, I think the the Mach-E GT would be top of my list. Of course, that could all fall apart after driving them and looking into any differences in charging/range/etc.

I mean a Taycan Turbo S is what, $200k? There isn't much else, IMO, that could compete with that level of overall performance, but it's also exceedingly more expensive. And when you get to a base Taycan, I think I'd rather just have the higher level version of things like the Model 3, Mach-E GT, etc.

If I want something with rapid acceleration, there are many EV options across different price points that could fit the bill. The few EVs I've driven have all been pleasant to drive. They would be amazing drivetrains in something like an S class or 7 series. But I don't really have any designs to trade in my fun ICE vehicles for an EV with sporting intentions (not that there's really much out there at the moment in this category).
Why declare all EVs unfun because you drove an i3 and a Volvo, and not actual fun ones like a Model 3 or Y P, Taycan 4S, or e-tron GT. That's all I'm saying duder.

·
Registered
25,847 Posts
If Polestar 2 had a traditional Volvo wagon body I would be all over it. The weird quasi SUV stance on a hatchback pretending to be a sedan look is not doing it any favor. If they wanted to do a sportback SUV, they need to commit to it fully like Ford did with Mach E.

·
Registered
28,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why declare all EVs unfun because you drove an i3 and a Volvo, and not actual fun ones like a Model 3 or Y P, Taycan 4S, or e-tron GT. That's all I'm saying duder.
I've never heard that Teslas were anything other than 1 trick acceleration ponies with poor build quality. As noted by another member on this site who owned the ultimate Tesla, a Plaid, it's a very nice commuter. It's very quick. But it's not an actual performance car. Everything I've read about the e-tron GT suggests it's not as performance oriented as the Taycan.

So, that leaves the Taycan. Yup, I would definitely like to spend some time in a couple of different Taycan models. Of course, I would happily try out the others if an opportunity arose, but my dynamic expectations would be quite a bit lower. I think I would rather spend actual money on a Mach-e GT over any of the vehicles you mention.

·
Registered
A couple of CUVs
2,596 Posts
I've never heard that Teslas were anything other than 1 trick acceleration ponies with poor build quality. As noted by another member on this site who owned the ultimate Tesla, a Plaid, it's a very nice commuter. It's very quick. But it's not an actual performance car. Everything I've read about the e-tron GT suggests it's not as performance oriented as the Taycan.

So, that leaves the Taycan. Yup, I would definitely like to spend some time in a couple of different Taycan models. Of course, I would happily try out the others if an opportunity arose, but my dynamic expectations would be quite a bit lower. I think I would rather spend actual money on a Mach-e GT over any of the vehicles you mention.
If you have time one day, go stop into Tesla at KOP mall and drive a Model 3 P. You can rip around some back roads in Valley Forge and hop on 422 or 202 for some acceleration runs. It's fun. No rep with you, no talk about tech, just driving.

·
Registered
28,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you have time one day, go stop into Tesla at KOP mall and drive a Model 3 P. You can rip around some back roads in Valley Forge and hop on 422 or 202 for some acceleration runs. It's fun. No rep with you, no talk about tech, just driving.
Do they give test drives directly at the mall? I would have thought that with a dealer nearby, that's where any test drives would originate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts