VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just got mine the other day from the GB and in looking under my car I've come up with some questions I'd like to try to get answered before attempting this.
First the Driver's side looks simple, easy to get to/lots of room.
Now the passenger side is another story. There is no way there is enough room to get the a-arm bolt out without hitting the oil pan. There isn't enough room to put a socket and ratchet on the bolt without hitting the pan. And a wrench would work to loosen the bolt but you can't tighten down the stress bar with a wrench. This leads me to believe I'll need to jack the motor up a couple inches to clear the pan. Am I crazy or am I missing something? Oh, and on my car the bolts need 19mm sockets, not the 18mm the instructions say. There is also no mention of needing to raise the motor but I don't see a way around it.
So for those that have already installed this, what did you have to do? Also note this is for the VR6, I don't know if it will affect the 2.0 or not. Please someone enlighten me, I really hope this is as simple as the instructions lead us to believe.
edit-spelling

[Modified by shftat6, 8:28 AM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Re: Autotech frt lower stress bar install, observations and questions. (shftat6)

yeah the vr6 is a tight fit
to install my front a arm bushings the subframe needed to be dropped
I asked your exact question to autotech and they suggusted removing your front engine mount and liftng the engine up with a jack from the oil pan or similar part on the engine til the bolt is accesable
if that doesn't work you would have to drop the subframe or lift the engine out
neither of which are easy tasks
tell us how the stressbar works
also are you planning to get a skidplate when they come out?
no one has told me if both will fit
good luck with the install

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Autotech frt lower stress bar install, observations and questions. (VReihenmotor6)

I figured I was right. Why do companies lead us to believe things are simple when they are not? I replaced my own motor mounts so jacking up the motor is not new to me but you think they would mention that in the instructions, kind of important info there. I can slide on the wrong socket size because knowing manufacturers they probably differ from the 2.0 to VR6.
I'll have to put off the install until I have more time since it is more involved. I don't plan on buying a skid plate though I had one minor scrape to my oil pan already, cosmetic damage only thankfully. I probably should get one because the pans on lowered VR6s are scary in terms of ground clearance (or lack of.)

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Re: Autotech frt lower stress bar install, observations and questions. (ebxgsxr)

I dunno about buying them there was a group buy on them but they never got back to me so I dunno
I also have no idea if the skidplate will fit with my euro rad support as the only thing that I could see under the ca that could be used to support it would be the lower rad support fot the NA rad setup
I didn't shell out any money so it isn't that big of a deal to me but I would stll want one
http://www.bptdesign.com/vw/skidplate/index.htm
ask them whats going on with the group buy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: Autotech frt lower stress bar install, observations and questions. (shftat6)

Hey, I just did the install today...not as easy as I had hoped. To remove the passenger side bolt I had to loosen not only the front lower motor mount, but also the one on the lower passenger side right above the bolt. Then, by jacking up the engine, I was able to remove the bolt. Fortunately, I have access to a rack. I feel sorry for those attempting to install at home. I guess another option would be to remove the oil pan, but I wasn't into doing that.
Any questions IM me.
Andrew

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: Autotech frt lower stress bar install, observations and questions. (WindsorBlueakapurple)

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey I also just received mine but have been lazy lately. Have you noticed any improvements, and if so how?[HR][/HR]​
Dude, either it's in my head, or my car drives much tighter. Sometimes it seems your brain will magnify such mods, but Whatever! Either way I am totally happy with this purchase and would've been happy even if I would've paid full price.
I drive mad winding back roads to and from work, and I just had a ball today driving home!

[Modified by LostMyStupidPassword, 10:28 PM 4-9-2002]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.