VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Story:
1. Bought the Autotech L/W Flywheel a few years ago and put it in with an ACT clutch. Clutch wouldn't fully dis-engage. I thought it was the ACT Clutch. I had a mechanic at a AUDI dealership put it in. He said the problem could have been with the flywheel or the clutch. We ground down the flywheel a little bit and it helped the problem a little but didn't solve it.
2. Bought a Saches OEM clutch after a month or two of driving a very hard to drive car and putting a lot of strain on my tranny. Put that in with the Autotech L/W Flywheel and the clutch would dis-engage fully. I screwed up my tranny though but it was still driveable, just the 1st and 2nd gear scyncros were screwed up. I had a different mechanic put this clutch in that works on VWs for a living at his own shop.
3. Bought a Centerforce Clutch and put it in with the Autotech L/W Flywheel. Clutch won't fully dis-engage. I also put on a used tranny with a Peloquin in. I bought a new slave cylinder thinking it MIGHT fix the problem but it didn't. It helped it a little but it's still not fully dis-engaging. I put this clutch in while I was doing the timing chains.
Noted Instances
1. Since it wouldn't dis-engage fully I knew it wasn't the clutch because I had this problem with the ACT Clutch and now with the Centerforce. Two totally different clutches and the same problem.
2. Why didn't I have this problem with the Saches OEM clutch?
3. New Slave Cylinder didn't solve it BUT helped to make it dis-engage more than it used to with the old cylinder.
MAIN QUESTION
Could the problem be that the Autotech L/W Flywheel isn't in spec. I remember seeing something a while ago about the Autotech flywheels not being with in spec and having problems. I was wondering if anybody could chime in here and tell me if they had problems with their flywheels in the past and if so what exactly was their problem and any other info that can provide. Thanks.
Conclusion
Changed out the flywheel after 2 days of doing another tranny drop. FUN FUN. Totally fixed the problem when I swapped in a stock flywheel. Conclusion is that Autotech Steel L/W Flywheels suck and aren't to spec, at least some of them aren't.

Modified by CDJetta at 5:21 PM 7-13-2006

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Autotech L/W Flywheels... Did they have out of spec problems? (CDJetta)

Did a bunch of searches and found that Autotech Flywheel's did have problems. I don't think I can get a return now since it's been like 3-4 years. I might just have to yank the tranny out again and try and shave it down some more. Maybe like... another 3-4mm or something. I don't really know how to measure for something like this. Does anybody have the stock dimensions for the stock flywheel with them?
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1513514
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1175739
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1023279

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Autotech L/W Flywheels... Did they have out of spec problems? (leebro61)

bump for anybody that knows how thick the flywheel should be so I know how much to take off.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Called up a machine shop here in town and they looked up a VR6 for a corrado and they said the size of the flywheel from the crank shaft seal is 490-491 Thousandths. So...... I guess all that is left is to get mine out and measure it. Does anybody else have any measurements they can provide me with??

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So i'm very confused as to what to do. Tomorrow I am dropping the tranny again to get the crap outta there but I don't know exactly how to solve the problem and i've been contemplating it the past 3 days or so.
Would shaving down the flywheel really fix the problem?
I don't have the stock flywheel to put back in even if I wanted to. I'd have to order another flywheel and in that case The Eurosport Aluminum one is looking pretty nice at 380 dollars or a Fidenza at 320+20 bucks shipped on ebay. Both are between 6-7lbs and are aluminum flywheels.
The ECS unit is about 450 dollars and is 7lbs. Any ways. I am thinking about just not even dealing with the Autotech dimensions and buying a new flywheel to fix this problem because I haven't been able to find any other place that has the dimensions of a stock flywheel and I don't have the stock one to measure.
I feel like i'm talking to myself though.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts

its funny because i mentioned this problem in your orig thread, but i thought i was reading too deep into it. just shave some off the flywheel and see how that goes.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Autotech L/W Flywheels... Did they have out of spec problems? (fourthchirpin)

Yeah. i've ran out of time though.
I just got a stock flywheel from a friend that I called today. I'm gunna throw that in and hope everything works. If it does then i'm set to go to waterfest which is the reason for rushing this install.
We shall see tomorrow what happens.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Re: Autotech L/W Flywheels... Did they have out of spec problems? (DST_VR6)

the only reason I know of this out of spec situation is because when i brought my lighten flywheel to get resurfaced. the machine shop i went to who deals with vr6's, told me they surfaced the flywheel AND took the starter ring off and shaved some off that (BECAUSE they told me on aftermarket flywheels that have been lighten when u resurface them and not the inside of the starter ring the clutch sides (either away or to close i forgot which one.) to the flywheel.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Autotech L/W Flywheels... Did they have out of spec problems? (fourthchirpin)

Gotcha. Well. I've run into a smaller but more annoying snag. I seem to have lost my wheel lug key so I can't get my damn wheels off. That puts me another day behind.
I searched up and down my garage and my car and tools and everything. Couldn't find it. Hopefully the dealer can help me out.

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
Re: Autotech L/W Flywheels... Did they have out of spec problems? (KIEZERJOSE)

You could have bent the shift fork. With two PP's in there, besides bent straps that's a viable scenario. I've bent one, my brother has bent one. Shift too agressively and they bend. It's like a $15 part new from the dealer, and if you have the know-how weld some supporting metal in there.
Might as well measure the FW while you have it out as well. Pulling the trans is how I like spending my weekends.

Evan

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Autotech L/W Flywheels... Did they have out of spec problems? (2kjettaguy)

Yeah. tell me about it.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts

Good luck, dude.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2681426
I dropped my Autotech flywheel off for resurfacing and balancing a couple weeks ago, but they wanted to know the distance from the ring gear surface to the disk wear surface. I think I'm just going to go with my old Velocity lightened OEM flywheel. It had been in the car for almost 10 years and has never given me any problems. I'll have them clean up the wear surface and balance it and I should be up and running soon.
What is strange is before I brought the Autotech flywheel in to have it machined/balanced, I put it on the vertical mill table here at work and checked if the wear surface of the flywheel was way off from inside to outside (basically checking to see if the thing was machined in kind of a cone shape). But it was within 0.006" from inside to outside. I didn't think that was too bad. So I'm still kind of at a loss for my situation.
On a related note, I didn't have any "rivet machining" issues in my case. The clutch fingers are protruding out in a fairly stock-like manner. This was with a Sachs PP/Clutchnet disk and Autotech flywheel. You can kinda see it in these pics:

-Wayne

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Autotech L/W Flywheels... Did they have out of spec problems? (Wayne92SLC)

Looks like you have a nice amount of tools to do your tranny job.
Hehe. Well. Just lost my working area and now i'm back at my real home so now I don't have a garage to work on my car, don't have my wheel lug key thing, or all the tools because I borrowed some friends. Looks like i'm gunna be going to WF12 with a partially engaging clutch. It's driveable, but it sucks trying to shift. WF calls and I must be there for the fans.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts

if it helps, i drove to WF for the whole weekend with a broken pressure plate. 2004. i thought it was my tranny. drove the whole summer like that.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

OMW It was the flywheel!!!!
Just got the tranny on this morning so that I can drive to waterfest now and guess what!!!!! The thing shifts like a mother f0cking charm. I now have no problems what so ever.
In conclusion... AUTOTECH L/W Steel Machined Flywheels suck major balls.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts

Quote, originally posted by CDJetta »
OMW It was the flywheel!!!!
Just got the tranny on this morning so that I can drive to waterfest now and guess what!!!!! The thing shifts like a mother f0cking charm. I now have no problems what so ever.
In conclusion... AUTOTECH L/W Steel Machined Flywheels suck major balls.

it's not the flywheels fault its only when u resurface it.all u have to do is resurface the area where the starter ring goes onto i believe.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts