VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my F+R sways from Autotech and the bends seem to be uneven end to end. When you lay them down on a countertop the center of the bars wobbles where it would theoretically be flat. The difference from end to end is about 1/2 an inch, which doesn't seem like it should make a big difference, but I guess I thought that there should be no difference at all, given AST's rep. and advertised CNC bending machines, etc.
Anyone ever seen this on their bars? Should I be concerned at the difference end to end on a bar that is supposed to be CNC bent, etc.?
Thanks all.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Autotech swaybar question - seems they are not evenly bent? (MKIII-JP)

I just checked them again on the counter top. FSB when laying flat on the counter, tips sweeping down and the center of the pipe laying flat, has one end 11/16 higher than the other. Also, some of the bends from side to side are different by apporx. 1/4 inch when measured with a tape.
RSB, when laying flat with tips sweeping down, difference is only 1/8, but curiously when the bar is flipped over with the tips sweeping up the difference from the center of the tube (or the edge of the tube) to the countertop is approximately 1/4 side to side. Also the right and left tubes are visibly bent differently when you draw a square line from the center tube, ie one is pointing toward the inside and the other is pointing straight down/slightly outside.
Should I be unimpressed or am I taking my expectation of each side being exactly the same too far? Don't know enough about sways to say for sure, but I doubt that there are too many symmetrical parts on a stock VW that are off by 1/4 - 3/4 of an inch.
Opinions welcomed.

· Registered
493 Posts
Re: Autotech swaybar question - seems they are not evenly bent? (Darth2)

Ok i got F+RSB from autotech and mine were straight. You might want to call them and see whats up. Even 1/8 of inch can make a difference.

EDIT: dont use your counter top use a concrete sidewalk or driveway. Countertops could not be level.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Autotech swaybar question - seems they are not evenly bent? (HoopRide2000)

I called Autotech and they didn't seem to think there was too much to worry about.
I thought about the floor that I originally checked them on not being level, which is why I used the countertop which I installed myself and know to be level and flat.
Thanks for the input.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Autotech swaybar question - seems they are not evenly bent? (Darth2)

135 views and no more than two responses?
I would like to hear whether anyone else has ever seen this. The weather is so cold right now that I know I won't get to install them for a while and I want to see whether a return/replacement is necessary.
Thanks folks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.