VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
i'm finally going down to visit my dad in the bay area, and he has a tranny that he got with the new engine for his jetta just sitting around. he knew i needed one for my '87 GTI 8v, so he offered it to me. i believe it's an AVX, and it's out of a '92(?) EcoDiesel. How will this tranny work in my GTI? i like the close ratio setup with the 9a i have, but i have NO 3rd gear synchs left (that'll happen when you have 205k miles on it.. redline MTL didn't do a damn thing..). i loved the 4k i had in my '84 GTI, but i'm afraid that i'll get really bad mileage, especially with the way i drive, and i don't have the money to get a 4k. anyway, has anyone swapped an AVX tranny into thier gas ride? would i be happy with it, or is it gonna suck balls? this tranny only has 7x,xxx miles on it. thanks.

-Frank

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: AVX tranny in my GTI? (KingOfFah)

time to sleep bump. anyone have any answers for me? first hand experiences? anything??

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: (VW Tuna)

diesel trannies have a short final and a tall 5th. that means you buzz a lot in lower gears, then get close to sane in 5th (the tall gear balances against the final for a compromise somewhere between the 4K and a normal tranny).

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (VW Tuna)

Quote, originally posted by VW Tuna »
if you think a 4k is too short don't buy the avx. can you say redline at 100mph?

i'm not buying anything.. my dad is giving me the AVX, which is why i'm cosidering this... so what negativl is saying, is that it'll be *similiar* to a 4k with a 5th gear conversion? sounds like a plan to me.. i shouldn't be going 100mph anyway, my girlfriend will get mad.

-Frank

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (negativl)

Quote, originally posted by negativl »
diesel trannies have a short final and a tall 5th. that means you buzz a lot in lower gears, then get close to sane in 5th (the tall gear balances against the final for a compromise somewhere between the 4K and a normal tranny).

compromise somewhere between a 4k and a 'normal' tranny? wouldn't that be about the same as a 9a? from what i've read/experienced, the 9a is one of the 'close ratio' setups for A2's. going from driving my '84 GTI and my girlfriend's '86 Cabby with 4k's, to my '87 GTI with a 9a, the 4k's seem a lot closer ratio than my current tranny (which isn't necissarily a bad thing). as i've only driven watercooled vw's with either 4k's, , 9a's, or A1's with 1.6 diesels, i'm not quite sure how a "normal" tranny feels.
i guess what i'm asking, is how the AVX would compare with a 9a, as it kinda sounds like it'd be a fairly close comparison, from what you're saying. thanks.

-Frank

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: (KingOfFah)

well, not exactly. Yes, 5th will be close to a 9a or so, but 1-4 will be even lower than a 4K, by about the same difference from the 9A to the 4K, again. Heck, it's free and we know how easy it is to swap an A2 tranny, just try it and see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts