7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
AWE Downpipe arrived (metal cat)

I open it and see the same great packing as "crew217" described:

Removing the first layer of foam reveals this:

Removing the second layer reveals this:

Weld quality on head flange:

Internal smoothness, much different than another pic i saw somewhere on here:

Middle pipe, with resonator. I might shave that scuff under the side hole, but maybe wont bother.

The metal cat internals:

All pieces interlocked together with no sizing issues:

I have higher end clamps coming, but they don't arrive until tomorrow. I picked up 10 new copper nuts from dealer also. I will install this in the next 2-3 days.

Modified by placenta at 7:35 PM 3-6-2009

· Registered
13,484 Posts
Re: (placenta)

Quote, originally posted by placenta »
Tell me about it. Thats why i rushed home the second it arrived. But I live in a good neighborhood too.

Def a very sweet downpipe. Nice quality
I'm jealous.

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Re: (crew217)

Looking forward to seeing the install pics as well as your feedback once it's installed. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
205 Posts
Re: AWE Downpipe arrived (placenta)

Installation is pretty easy. I did the TBE on my own with no power tools. Take off the top two bolts from the top and the bottom two from the bottom. The hardest part for me was the damn exhaust hangers.
I just replaced 4 of my clamps this weekend with the ones Dave"crew217" recommended and they are so much better.

· Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
24,902 Posts
Re: (iThread)

Quote, originally posted by iThread »
Oh, ok, I see it in the gasket and clamp package now. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Wow, this thread could have taken a turn for the worse if there was no blow pop!
Looks good placenta! Now get that installed and go go go! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/star.gif

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (dubshizzle)

Quote, originally posted by dubshizzle »
How much was this part and do you have a stock catback or something else? If you have a stock catback, I am anxious to know how the downpipe sounds by itself.

this part was $780 shipped to me. I will be going stock catback like crew. He has a sound clip as he posted.
but sound clips are useless to me on the internet. doesnt tell me much about the sound in reality. you have to hear it in person. but i dont want loud at all, so ill stay stock cat back hopefully.

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just did some prep work/evaluation.
1. Removed engine cover. (Everyone knows how to do this by now.)
2. I then worked on removing the heat sheild. (someone mentioned this was a good idea somewhere.) Well, its not in my opinion. I got out 4 nuts under it and 2 rubber storks. But still the heat sheild doesnt come out. Overall, I dont think its needed.
3. I then disconnected my upper O2 sensor harness, this is no issue. But I had to use a screwdriver to press in my harness clip, its stiff from the factory.
4. I sprayed my downpipe nuts to let them soak. I dont have the fancier liquids so i just used my WD-40.
I dont want to go any further in case my clamps dont arrive today.

Modified by placenta at 10:41 AM 11-28-2006

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The front part of the DP is installed. Quite a biotch. Not difficult, just time consuming. I'll get a pic or two now that its installed. I know what people mean now about not wanting to stop in the middle of work to take pics. Once you start, you can't stop.
Notes, the hardest nut was the one on top, lower, cloest to engine. But a 2"-3" extension works perfect on it.
(all nuts are 16mm)
Everything was smooth except I couldnt get the top O2 sensor out while on the car. So I left it in. Then, I couldnt pull the stock DP out since the top O2 was in the way. So once my DP was loosened, I lowered it enough to get the 7/8" open end wrench on it while on the car. I broke it loose and removed it. Then, I pulled the stock DP all the way out. The new DP was a lot easier to get on, since its much shorter.
I now have only the top portion done. I figured thats the hardest part, and I can always replace clamps later if they dont arrive. I am stoked the hardest part is done.
I have some blood and cuts, but worth the pain. Prob only took an hour of actual work.

Modified by placenta at 11:52 AM 11-28-2006

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.