VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys so I got my new GTI in March and it took me about 2 months to get started on the new project but I recently installed the AWE Touring exhaust, Carbon fiber intake and the Audi S3 intercooler. I got everything over from John at AWE who was really cool to deal with and kept me up to date on the status of my order since the exhaust takes about a month to make. It was done on the exact day he told me it would be and it shipped out with next day shipping.

First I'll start with the intercooler. I got it shipped out from AWE and it's a stock S3 intercooler. It fits the GTI without any modification whatsoever but it has more volume to bring in more air. The box was super light (as was the cooler) but it was as advertised. Me and my boys were able to install it in just under 2 hours when we had it up on the lift. Was very easy but there are so many torque screws it can get annoying. Here are a few pictures of what we did.

Next up was the Touring exhaust with black muffler tips. It arrived in a 35lb box and looked sick just opening it. I ordered the Touring one because I heard it was alot quieter than the other one that they make so I was excited to get it installed. Up on the lift installing it took us about 30 mins. All the pieces fit together and are held with Clampco clamps. We checked it and there were no leaks and it all fit well aside from one piece we had to mallet. Check the pics:

Last thing we did was the intake. It's so light and was quickly installed. The old airbox came out quickly and the new intake was in after about 5-10 minutes.

Ok so I've had everything installed for a little over a week now and I'm very happy with the results. The intercooler I can't really tell if its doing anything yet but as I plan on increasing the car to more powerI know I would have needed it so for a couple hundred bucks I figured why not upgrade. The intake makes a great sound when you're on the throttle and they advertise that it gets you around 18HP. The exhaust is a little bit too quiet for me but I guess I'd rather that than have it be too aggressive. Not sure the wife and kids would appreciate it any louder but I think I'd like it to have a bit more of an aggressive sound.The car is alot quicker though. My brother in law came over today and drove it and commented that it finally has what it was missing before. Just thought this might help anyone who is looking to go the AWE route. AWE actually states that all of the components go well together when they are paired.If anything else pops up I'll repost..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the post and all the pictures. Seemed like you have the groundwork done and it's time for a tune. I have the Eurodyne 1.5 on mine and I'm very happy with the results. Intake and exhaust on these cars doesn't add that much power, but throw a tune and a downpipe in the mix and you'll be amazed. I flashed back to stock the other day just to feel that car without the tune again and that tune spoils you. I flashed right back because I missed the power and the simpler throttle manipulation.

From what I've read adding the downpipe will likely give you more of the sound that you're looking for. The touring exhaust is really tame without it.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Great post and results. With the variable valve timing on both cams with the gen 3 EA888 motor it's easy to get drone when adding an exhaust system so be thankful that isn't there with the AWE system. You would have had to measure your before/after intake air temps to see the IC upgrade do its job, mine dropped 15-20*F so it works. And for those doing the R/S3 FMIC install, do not undo the hood latch cable like they did it in these pics as it's much harder and you can easily damage the wires that way, there is a factory disconnect located just above the drivers side headlight that is supposed to be used when taking off the front end.

·
Vendor
16,419 Posts
Thank you for the great thread, and thank you for choosing AWE! If you want to really wake her up, consider our Performance Downpipe. We designed the Touring Edition Exhaust to sound fantastic when paired with a downpipe; you get a refined tone with no droning. I'd be happy to discuss it with you and share some media. All in all, you're well on your way to a bolt on beast! :thumbup:

·
Registered
978 Posts
AWE Exhaust / Intake & S3 intercooler review

So is the IC in front of the radiator? I just had some front end damage and it seemed like the radiator was in front when I saw the brownish/red fluid pouring out of it. Wondering if I should try to sneak an upgrade here...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks

Guys I actually have the APR stage 1 flash already so this made the car extra nice. I ordered their downpipe but since it was back ordered I cancelled it. I'm happy with the car right now. AWE was great throughout the process also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No videos sorry. Just got back into the car game so I'm not quite there yet. My wife basically said to me why did you buy an exhaust if it doesn't sound different. And that was when she was outside of the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.