VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Vortex Ambassador to Canada
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've taken delivery of a new project car, and while some parts are out for the car already, others simply aren't available for public consumption just yet. So shortly after UPS dropped the first few pieces of this project car puzzle at the VMG East office, I hit the road to drop the car off at AWE Tuning for exhaust development. I didn't have a ride home, but luckily they were kind enough to hook me up with a loaner car. While it's not their 911 Turbo S, it is a F30-chassis BMW 328i, which is a hell of a lot nicer than anything you'd find at Enterprise. It's even been massaged a bit.

Mods that I can recall are as follows-
-AWE Tuning Quad Outlet 'Touring Edition' Exhaust and Performance Mid Pipe
-Prototype AWE Tuning S-FLO Intake
-Bilstein PSS B14 Coilovers (non-damping adjust)
-Rotiform SNA Wheels

Doubling as a development car for their new BMW line (they also have an M4 which apparently hates rear tires), I'm told the car is available to incoming dev car owners who need a replacement ride while their car is worked on. Either way, I'm pretty happy to have it.

Here is what I can tell so far-
  • iDrive is pretty awful to use without proper instruction.
  • The exhaust pops and crackles when off throttle around 3,000rpm, but is in no way intrusive. I quite like it.
  • The intake is loud as hell, but in the best way possible. Whoosh.
  • Suspension is pretty tight. Bilstein did a damn good job of getting the damping dead-on for daily use.
  • Will it drift? Sort of. With more power? Definitely. There's probably a reason (ahem, liability) for that.
  • blah blah blah BMW steering feel blah blah

So, it's mine for seven whole days. You got questions? I'll give you honest answers.

Registered
2013 Taco / 2006 R53
Clearly you need to find out just how many VMG employees can fit in a F30 328i.

Though, there's probably only what, 6 of you at the Hershey location? :laugh:

Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clearly you need to find out just how many VMG employees can fit in a F30 328i.
Great question. There's belts for five, but clearly room for more. I'd say we can get 8 inside (maybe 9 without fear of a potential HR complaint), and one in the trunk.

Though, there's probably only what, 6 of you at the Hershey location? :laugh:
We like to say that the number of employees in our Hershey office is 'adequate'.

Auto or manual? RWD or awd?
RWD, 8-speed auto with steering wheel mounted paddles. Interesting note though, in 'manual' mode you push the gear lever forward to downshift, pull back to upshift. Finally, somebody got it right.

Registered
We've taken delivery of a new project car, and while some parts are out for the car already, others simply aren't available for public consumption just yet. So shortly after UPS dropped the first few pieces of this project car puzzle at the VMG East office, I hit the road to drop the car off at AWE Tuning for exhaust development. I didn't have a ride home, but luckily they were kind enough to hook me up with a loaner car. While it's not their 911 Turbo S, it is a F30-chassis BMW 328i, which is a hell of a lot nicer than anything you'd find at Enterprise. It's even been massaged a bit.

Mods that I can recall are as follows-
-AWE Tuning Quad Outlet 'Touring Edition' Exhaust and Performance Mid Pipe
-Prototype AWE Tuning S-FLO Intake
-Bilstein PSS B14 Coilovers (non-damping adjust)
-Rotiform SNA Wheels

Doubling as a development car for their new BMW line (they also have an M4 which apparently hates rear tires), I'm told the car is available to incoming dev car owners who need a replacement ride while their car is worked on. Either way, I'm pretty happy to have it.

• iDrive is pretty awful to use without proper instruction.
  • The exhaust pops and crackles when off throttle around 3,000rpm, but is in no way intrusive. I quite like it.
  • The intake is loud as hell, but in the best way possible. Whoosh.
  • Suspension is pretty tight. Bilstein did a damn good job of getting the damping dead-on for daily use.
  • Will it drift? Sort of. With more power? Definitely. There's probably a reason (ahem, liability) for that.
  • blah blah blah BMW steering feel blah blah

So, it's mine for seven whole days. You got questions? I'll give you honest answers.
How do you feel about the 2.0T + 8AT? Power/Acceleration?

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you feel about the 2.0T + 8AT? Power/Acceleration?
With everything installed, this car is likely about ~20hp/~20tq (13hp/13tq from the exhaust, intake numbers not published) up over a stock version, but it seemed to be fairly quick. The 8speed's gears are short enough that during acceleration you are pretty much always in boost. It's not fast, but it is entertaining.

Registered
RWD, 8-speed auto with steering wheel mounted paddles. Interesting note though, in 'manual' mode you push the gear lever forward to downshift, pull back to upshift. Finally, somebody got it right.
:thumbup:

Although they've been doing it this way for a while, at least in my experience.

There's a few other companies who do it that way...IIRC Mazda is one of them?

Banned
  • iDrive is pretty awful to use without proper instruction..

Oh come on, I'm the least tech savvy person round these parts and it's not a big deal for me, even when I drive the wife's car once every other week.

Registered
That's a lot of front plate holes to have to cover up.

I couldn't deal with it like that. :facepalm:

Banned

Registered
With everything installed, this car is likely about ~20hp/~20tq (13hp/13tq from the exhaust, intake numbers not published) up over a stock version, but it seemed to be fairly quick. The 8speed's gears are short enough that during acceleration you are pretty much always in boost. It's not fast, but it is entertaining.
Even the stock car is pretty nice with regards to acceleration. It loves to stay at 85-90 mph or above, on the freeway :).

Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[/LIST]

Oh come on, I'm the least tech savvy person round these parts and it's not a big deal for me, even when I drive the wife's car once every other week.
It took me a while to figure out but my E46 is the last BMW I really spent serious time in, so that may have something to do with it. By the end of the week I might have it down pat.

That's a lot of front plate holes to have to cover up.

I couldn't deal with it like that. :facepalm:
Agreed. M sport bumper AWE, M sport bumper.

Even the stock car is pretty nice with regards to acceleration. It loves to stay at 85-90 mph or above, on the freeway :).
Experienced that last night on my drive back from Philly. The heads-up display speedo can really save you from a chat with johnny law.

Registered
AWE Tuning on BMWs... now I've seen everything, I remember when Porsche was still a new product line for them in 2005-2008. I am really showing my age.

I wonder if GIAC is working on BMW software or if they will have an in house brand or different vendor.

Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AWE Tuning on BMWs... now I've seen everything, I remember when Porsche was still a new product line for them in 2005-2008. I am really showing my age.

I wonder if GIAC is working on BMW software or if they will have an in house brand or different vendor.
From the looks of it, they're using ESS for software on the BMWs. I do think GIAC has a few files available, though.

I've been mulling their exhaust for my 320i, because the car is too quiet (particularly on track). I'm glad they're branching into the BMW line!
I think it was a long time coming for them, but they just needed to lay the groundwork for the expansion first. It seems to be doing quite well for them, which is never a bad thing.

Keeping an eye on this. I've been contemplating a M-sport wagon recently.
Huge fan of the wagons, but they're all xDrive which I'd rather do without.

Registered
My F30 has a few small bolt-ons - Burger Stage 1 piggyback, ER Chargepipes, Injen CAI, AA Exhaust. Makes for a pretty fun daily from 30-100 MPH rolls. Pulls on my stock E92 335 and put down 260 AWHP/280 AWTQ on a mustang dyno.

Registered
Why did they use a sport line for the dual exit exhaust? M Sport rear bumper, replace the diffuser with the M Sport or M Performance for the 335i. Ask them if they have any plans for the N47 powered models.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.