VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,070 Posts
Re: Awesome vid, you will enjoy this (CorradoAbaTurbo)

Here's a synopsis of the video: two Japanese guys took an old RWD Celica from the junkyard, gutted it and dropped in a trick TRD 5-valve 4-cyl race engine. The first 13 minutes are kind of boring, it's just them in the garage working on the car. Finally they got the engine fired up and took the car out for a shakedown by street racing and drifting on the highway at night (?!?!). They went lapping the next day. Engine sounded really racy, but it was still being broken in so the revs weren't high. Then the driver downshifted and redlined it. That's it. It's a huge download for 2 minutes of action.

· Registered
2,875 Posts
Re: (CorradoAbaTurbo)

holey ****
that chasis/engine is sweet. i'll post thoughts after i'm done watching it.
this is the first time i've seen this one. seam welded chasis, repainted. and that's a rebuilt silvertop 20 valve 4age from the ae101. TRD oil pan tapped for Dry Sump (which i dont recognize), Independant Throttle Bodies, about 213 horsepower tuned with a motec ECU and lots more goodies (lightened flywheel/clutch, all new internals, light polish on the head/valves, forged crank, blablabla). Cusco control arms and i believe cusco coilovers (although they MIGHT be tien...), and a brembro brake setup.
i bet it's a god damn blast to drive.

completely stripped how it is right now, i bet the chasis weighs in under 2000 pounds. SOUNDS FUN TO ME!

Modified by nmap at 11:07 PM 1-10-2004

Modified by nmap at 11:09 PM 1-10-2004

· Registered
23,208 Posts
Re: Awesome vid, you will enjoy this (BananaCo)

Quote, originally posted by BananaCo »
sweet...i wish i had friends like them, teaming up together to build a dream car from scratch http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,701 Posts

Quote, originally posted by CorradoAbaTurbo »
It is a Levin, the pop up light version is the 86, while the fixed are 85. I may be wrong though...

fixed lights are on the levin, pop up lights on the trueno, both AE85&6.
<=has watched way too much initial d.

· Registered
4,357 Posts
Quote »
sweet...i wish i had friends like them, teaming up together to build a dream car from scratch

Hope you have $100k to go along with that, because that's how much that car would cost, if that motor was even available to you (which it isn't
)
Oh okay, I'm being an arse. In principle I agree wholeheartedly!

· Registered
9,483 Posts
Re: (Slonie)

Quote, originally posted by Slonie »
Hope you have $100k to go along with that, because that's how much that car would cost, if that motor was even available to you (which it isn't
)
Oh okay, I'm being an arse. In principle I agree wholeheartedly!
you know, i'd be equally happy to restore and build just any great 80's sports car, even without all the bells and whistles in the video..

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a Atlantic group A engine which has a 11,000 rpm rev capability, I read it's around 20,000 in engine parts which a average person can't get without connections. The car looks like a brand new one after their done with it.

· Registered
4,357 Posts

Quote, originally posted by CorradoAbaTurbo »
That's a Atlantic group A engine which has a 11,000 rpm rev capability, I read it's around 20,000 in engine parts which a average person can't get without connections. The car looks like a brand new one after their done with it.

Okay, not to be an arse twice in one thread, but Formula Atlantic motors and AE101 Group A motors aren't the same thing. Just take off the word "Atlantic" and your post is all good.

Formula Atlantic is switching to Ford motors as far as I know now, so the days of being able to see the baddest race-spec 16V 4A-GEs in an entire field of cars have come to a close...You can build an Atlantic-spec 4A-G from the TRD catalog, but it won't be cheap, won't be streetable, and will only go a little while between rebuilds. But I bet it would sound sweet
And of course, this video deserves another bump (hopefully that will absolve me of my nitpicking)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.