VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Nice work!
hey thanks, man

This is a super cool manifold.

Any reason your using a side entrance throttle and not making it rear entrance, so you can come directly of the turbo?
The plan is to use a single 90 elbow from turbo to throttlebody. It should make more sense visually in a couple weeks. :beer:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Looks great. I'm glad you made the change.
Thanks. Yeah, not all my ideas workout in practice like they do in my head.

Monday might be getting more welding. Really trying to get this thing wrapped up by the end of April.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Plenum halfway there:

Problems up top here though:

It did fine underneath on the other side in that same area.
Any tips for cast? My coworker is still learning aluminum.

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
I am no expert by all means, but I first started welding Cast AL many years ago. While I saw you are using Thoriated (based on prev page), I have had more luck on Cast with either pure Tungsten (non-Inverter), Ceriated or recently Lanthiated

BUT, with that being said, it really looks like you just have contaminated Cast. Cast, will absorb oils. Non-Chlor brake cleaner and pre-heat will usually vapor off the contams. Glass Beading will also make your like easier with cast!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am no expert by all means, but I first started welding Cast AL many years ago. While I saw you are using Thoriated (based on prev page), I have had more luck on Cast with either pure Tungsten (non-Inverter), Ceriated or recently Lanthiated

BUT, with that being said, it really looks like you just have contaminated Cast. Cast, will absorb oils. Non-Chlor brake cleaner and pre-heat will usually vapor off the contams. Glass Beading will also make your like easier with cast!
I think you're right about the contaminated cast. I'll try pre-heating and non-chlor brake cleaner. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
.25 is nuts for end tanks. I typically use .090. the best kind of kill is Overkill lol.

Looking good. If you still need to weld to the cast section, cleaning up the surface with a carbide Burr bit, file, or mill really helps. In addition to the absorbed contaminates, the surface finish off raw cast doesn't easily allow for oxide removal and can cause subsurface porosity.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts