VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
.25 is nuts for end tanks. I typically use .090. the best kind of kill is Overkill lol.

Looking good. If you still need to weld to the cast section, cleaning up the surface with a carbide Burr bit, file, or mill really helps. In addition to the absorbed contaminates, the surface finish off raw cast doesn't easily allow for oxide removal and can cause subsurface porosity.
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, the .25" for the sides was in case i wanted to tap a fitting and was free/available. Top and bottom piece .125"

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Machined the weld out again:

Decided to not bother my friend with this section anymore. Dropped it off at a local shop on Monday, highly regarded by a couple sources. We shall see.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
:beer:

Finally got the valve cover filler pieces ready to get welded:

Happy with how this is gonna look too:

Throttle body block off plate for leak checking:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Long overdue updates:

Got all the leaks sorted a few weeks ago.

Last of the welding today:
-Vacuum port for brake booster
-Throttle cable mount
-Rear support braces

One last leak check and wash to do, but I'm calling it finished.

It may along with some other bits get ceramic coated in the future.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
Great project. Though I have seen this done before on a VR6, you pulled it off clean. And I still love seeing people do things differently. Nice fitment on the machined "ramp" piece on the top. The contours fit nicely. :thumbup:

Edit: Holy ****. I didn't realize that this forum was completely dead. I didn't imagine that the first thread at the top would be 6 months old.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Great project. Though I have seen this done before on a VR6, you pulled it off clean. And I still love seeing people do things differently. Nice fitment on the machined "ramp" piece on the top. The contours fit nicely. :thumbup:

Edit: Holy ****. I didn't realize that this forum was completely dead. I didn't imagine that the first thread at the top would be 6 months old.
Appreciate that, thanks.

Forgot to post the powder coated parts in this thread:

Unfortunately I broke in the new rings like a retard and I have no compression (been sitting since October).
I'll be sorting it out come summer.
-Dave

·
Registered
22,394 Posts

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

41 - 50 of 50 Posts