VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so 2day i got my hose in the mail to install b/c the old one was torn. im referring to the Y shaped breather hose that comes off of the side of the valve cover (06a 103 221 BH). upon further inspection i saw that the other hose that it connects to, down low near the intake manifold is also torn, but wayyy worse
.....so i just ordered that part as well (06A-103-213-AF)...now that one looks like a PITA to replace bc it goes now in a tight spot under the FPR and intake manifold, im just wondering if anyone knows what im talking about, anyone ever replace it, and lastly it looks like i might need to take the intake manifold off to replace it...necessary?
i was kinda hoping i could take out my battery/ airbox/ and greddy type 31 pipe and get a better angle in there without pulling the manifold...someone chime in, shoot some tips my way http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
576 Posts
Re: AWP breather hose help/question ([email protected] mk4)

I don't have an answer for you, but on my car, the hard plastic pipe that connects to the Y is cracked. I've sealed the crack temporarily, but I intend to replace that pipe (and the Y piece) with rubber hose and appropriate fittings.

· Registered
2,627 Posts

I know exactly what you are talking about. I was just inspecting my PCV system and noticed that the hose you are talking about is cracked.
Mine was part # 06A 103 221 AH
BH might be the newer version.
Here is a picture for better illustration.

Looking at it, it does not seem like a big job. To replace the whole system, from cranckshaft on, is a bit more of a job.
I will be replacing that hose as soon as I get a new one and will post the DIY. I might even venture into doing all the hoses that are realted to the PCV system.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Re: AWP breather hose help/question (Jerr2553)

Quote, originally posted by Jerr2553 »
I have to replace this same hose. Let me know if you find anything out.

x2
Is there any way to do this without removing the intake mani?

· Registered
490 Posts
Re: AWP breather hose help/question (natsilver)

Yes, you can get to it without removing the intake manifold. It's a little tight down there.... and you do have to screw with the vacuum lines under the bracket that's mounted to the intake manifold to get down in there. There were some rubber straps under there that I ended up cutting - if you keep those vacuum lines in tact, you'll probably need some zipties to resecure it when you go to put it back together.
The lower hose connects to the oil filter housing. There's a retaining clip on it that holds the hose in place - in order to get the clip out, I had to unbolt a bracket that blocks the clip's movement. For mine, I ended up plugging that hole completely.... I believe the reason that it is there is so that oil can drip back down into the filter housing and make its way down to the oil pan rather than circulate through the intake (which it does anyway, but not as much.)

Lower hose, capped off

Puck valve, capped off

· Registered
2,627 Posts

Here is how my old hose looked like:

It was all dried up and brittle inside. The oil fumes, heat and cold, certainly destroy the rubber.
The replacement was not cheap either. Expect paying $60-$70 for the replacement. It is not hard to replace at all.
There are 3 clamps that hold it together and they have to be opened, easiest way is with a flat head screwdriver.
Just replace and retighten. You will need to get new hose clamps and I know Harbor Freight has a sale on hose clamps. 40 for $4 in various sizes. They can be used for this and other projects.

· Registered
576 Posts
Re: AWP breather hose help/question (psychlow)

psychlow, if I'm reading your post correctly, you appear to have no pcv system.
Do you at least have a hose connecting the valve cover to a catch can?
The block breather that you blocked off....I believe that hose is meant to evacuate crankcase vapors. I doubt vw meant for that hose to simply allow oil to drain back into the oiling system. The diameter of that hose tells me it's simply too large for that purpose.
I don't think you're doing your motor any favors by disabling the pcv system like that.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: AWP breather hose help/question (Island20V)

Quote, originally posted by Island20V »
Somebody seriously needs to come up with an aftermarket silicone upgrade for these hoses!

im shocked forge or someone hasnt jumped on this opportunity...throw a silly bright blue hose coming right off a polished valve cover w/ they're name all over it...id buy one http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
my new lower hose (06a 103 213 af) should be here 11/2 so it'll give me a reason to tear my car apart next saturday

Modified by [email protected] mk4 at 11:50 AM 10-27-2007

· Registered
576 Posts

Somebody seriously needs to come up with an aftermarket silicone upgrade for these hoses!

Why? For bling factor, maybe. But for the price they'd likely charge for it, it's not gonna be worth it for many people, including myself. Keep in mind it's not just the Y shaped piece that falls apart in the pcv system. For me the hard plastic pipe that goes into Y has a big chunk missing from it. That material is waaay to thin and brittle, IMO.
Other than the nasty stuff that passes through the pcv system, it's not really a stressed item, i.e., it doesn't see high levels of boost or vacuum. I believe that's another reason you will never see a mass produced silicone replacement.
It would be fairly simple to fab up a replacement all the way from the block to the TIP with some hose and brass fittings. You can buy the adaptor for the block; all other fittings can be found at a hardware store. I intend to replace the weak factory system in the near future.

· Registered
17,006 Posts
Re: AWP breather hose help/question (jwcma)

Quote, originally posted by jwcma »

Why? For bling factor, maybe. But for the price they'd likely charge for it, it's not gonna be worth it for many people, including myself. Keep in mind it's not just the Y shaped piece that falls apart in the pcv system. For me the hard plastic pipe that goes into Y has a big chunk missing from it. That material is waaay to thin and brittle, IMO.
Other than the nasty stuff that passes through the pcv system, it's not really a stressed item, i.e., it doesn't see high levels of boost or vacuum. I believe that's another reason you will never see a mass produced silicone replacement.
It would be fairly simple to fab up a replacement all the way from the block to the TIP with some hose and brass fittings. You can buy the adaptor for the block; all other fittings can be found at a hardware store. I intend to replace the weak factory system in the near future.

Its not about looks. The crankcase ventalation hose is very thin and a silicone hose would make it last a lot longer than the stock unit. The valve cover makes the inside of the hose weak from temperatures.

· Registered
576 Posts

Its not about looks. The crankcase ventalation hose is very thin and a silicone hose would make it last a lot longer than the stock unit. The valve cover makes the inside of the hose weak from temperatures.

Correct. And heater hose at a few cents per foot is much cheaper and would laugh at those temperatures.
You don't find replacement TIP's on the shelf at Kragens because they're a specialty piece. Also, aftermarket TIP's provide a performance increase. Hence, there is a market for producing them in silicone. It is arguable whether the overpriced boost hose kits offer any performance increase, but at least they stand up to boost pressure better than the stock pieces.
A silicone pcv hose? It would offer no performance increase. It's not a specialty piece (when you can replace it with common hose and fittings), and offers no durability advantage compared to simple rubber hose.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

im sure they could mass produce those 2 hose for less then $60 a pop...thats what the dealer is getting for them http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif ....even at $60 i would pay that for a decent aftermarket http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
576 Posts

You are right about ther performance market and what not, but I think people would buy them because of how often they are replacing thsese OEM crankcase ventalation hoses and the one below it.

I totally agree. I said I wouldn't go for it, but I'm sure quite a few would. However, the other point I was trying to make is that no company will likely make a silicone pcv replacement because it's too easily and cheaply duplicated using standard hose and fittings.
What they should do is make a silicone replacement for the rubber hose that connects the charge pipe to the pancake pipe. That's the only piece of rubber left in my induction tract.

· Registered
882 Posts
Re: AWP breather hose help/question (jwcma)

I've had problems with cracking of the Y-shaped hose and the s-shaped one it connects to. Here's my ghetto rig:

I just used 3/4" heater hose, clamps, T-fitting, and a 3/4" joiner to connect heater hose to the pcv system underneath the intake manifold. I know it doesn't look pretty, but it ought to hold me down until I get a catch can.
It cost less than $10 for the parts and will probably last as long, if not longer than the oem hoses.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.