VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the exact specs to the bolts that are on the inner cv on a2s??
ive had so many problems with those buggers that i just want to change them to a standard hex or an allan or something.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: axle bolts... (hybrid gti 2)

haha you dont get what im saying. i know what they are but i need to know what the thread pitch is and how long they are or how big around they are all those things. i just wanna change the bolt its self.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Re: axle bolts... (LeatherMK2)

AHHH I just did this, but I didn't write down the bolt size... I'll go measure it again tomorrow hehe

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: axle bolts... (mahkra)

that would be very much appreciated. i just dunno what to look for at the hardware store

·
Banned
2,167 Posts

just take one of your old ones in there and find a nut that fits on it then you'll know what size it is.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

I think you should make sure you get the correct grade of bolts. With that being said, my old '85 had the bolts replaced with allen's that looked suspiciously like the brake mounting bolts...

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Re: axle bolts... (ubercrap)

I was thinkin of doing this but I dont work around my axles enough I guess.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,388 Posts
Re: axle bolts... (Je2tta)

i think the thread pitch is something like 8x1.25mm, i have a few allen head replacements out in my car...if this hasn't been figured out by the time i get home tonight i'll measure em up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Re: axle bolts... (JNXtheband)

yes, do make sure you get the correct grade bolts (i believe they are grade 10 or 12, not 8). 8mm, 48mm long, IIRC the pitch is 1.25. the pitch is whatever the "standard" is for 8mm bolts. try emailing adirondack or someone else, they may be able to send you new ones. HTH.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Re: axle bolts... (Halo8)

...just so you know...
We did this and when you install them, they go in and out super slow. The reason being is that you can't fit a wratchet or even the closed side of a box end around the bolt because it is too close to the metal part of the cv boot cover. You can only get about 1/8 of a turn with the open side of the wrench at a time.
I don't recall what the specs for the bolts are, but just thought I would add that.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: axle bolts... (Gridlocked)

my axle flew off on me twice and now sits in my driveway with 3 bolts in the cv and and i kinda wanna solve this problem. i can never get them tight enough. its so stupid. it doesnt need to be such a hassle.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts

Quote, originally posted by LeatherMK2 »
my axle flew off on me twice and now sits in my driveway with 3 bolts in the cv and and i kinda wanna solve this problem. i can never get them tight enough. its so stupid. it doesnt need to be such a hassle.

Ummm.... how are you putting them in that you can't get them tight enough? I've never had problems with mine.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: axle bolts... (vwgti1986)

because their all just worn out. i just dont want to go and get another set becuase they wear out really fast which isnt that big of a deal but its just so much easier to go to a hardware store than going to the dealership thats like 15 miles farther for the same bolts that are more expensive and arent even as good as a standard hex head. thats all. all im really saying is that vw sucks for making these lame bolts and i want different wants. haha

·
Registered
22,718 Posts

i've never had any problems with them, if your using the proper and a good quality tool on them. like a snap-on.
anyway if i were to replace them it'd be with an allen head, a regular bolt would be a PITA to tighten as mentioned earlier, unles you ground a slot in them to get them snuig with a flathead and then tight with a wrench, i'd still rather have allen head though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts