VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I recently picked up a mk1 jetta coupe to start working on. It is leaking from the axle seal and the guy that sold it to me had already bought a new seal for it so I got it all apart and pulled the original seal but unfortunately the new one he had is incorrect. The trans is a 020 301 103 H and the part number on the seal is 020 301 189 K but I cannot seem to find this anywhere so if anyone can help please let me know! Here is a few picture to reference!
Thank you guys!
Sam
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Green Tread
Hand Wheel White Hood Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle wheel Synthetic rubber
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's always great to have information to help you work thru a problem. Not knowing the year and if the transmission is stock hinders that.

A later Mk1 seal uses 020 301 189N.
My car is an 81 model with a 2.0 swap from a 2001 beetle however those I believe came with an 02j and unfortunately I cannot say for sure if the trans is original or not. I do have that seal actually ordered since they are pretty cheap but it hasn't arrived yet so I don't know if it will work yet or not. But thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2021 Ford F-150, 2021 Ford Bronco Sport, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,302 Posts
Try Parts Place for the seal, that’s where I found mine over the winter.

The proper install is not easy, only as it is very straightforward to mess it up. I’d recommend using some sort of copper grease (at least I think I did) to install the seal in the case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. Turns out it is from a later model mk1 with the 100mm flanges. The seal I had on order showed up and was the same diameter as the one that came out of the trans but was significantly thicker. I test fit it to the flange and to the case and seemed like it would still work fine. So I went ahead and installed it but when compressing the flange and spring to install the circlip it seemed like the thickness of the seal was making that a little bit harder than it should have been. I got the axle and everything back together and ran it around the neighborhood and everything seems to be okay an is no longer leaking but I still may look around for that later model seal and see if there are any that match the thickness better of the original one to be sure I have it right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.