VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i didn't have an option yesterday and filled up with this mess. Yikes! i might be trippin but i swear my gas mileage went down. i made it to SF with a tank of 76 premium and had maybe 2 gallons left. Going the same constant 80 coming back, i barely made it. eh?

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Re: ay, who uses ARCO? (Gaunty)

Arco sucks in my opinion http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif it made my bug run like crapp back then so i dont trust it now

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Re: ay, who uses ARCO? (-camber)

Umm then whats the best gas in So Cal. I just moved from Chicago where my car only sipped Amaco Ultimate 93 Octane.
You So Cal Neanderthals dont seem to have anything higher than 91. They tell me that Chevron 91 is the best ye get.
Oh the tragedy...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Re: ay, who uses ARCO? (ambat)

i either get 76 or Chevron.. but yah i got ARCO last week because i was in desperate need for gas and it was a bad investment :\ i went to Autotechs GTG then barely got back on gas... sux bad

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Re: ay, who uses ARCO? (Nine6GTI)

You guys are funny.
News article on U.S. gas.
An article regarding California gas.
Refining Online Q&A, answered by refinery engineers (you know.. experts)
A chemist's view on octane and additives.
The short of it:
Gas is essentially the same, especially in California since 1996.
The additives all do their job well, it's the percentage put in the fuel that may affect mileage.
Use a busy station so you get new gas.
For optimum cleaning, stick with one brand for 5000 miles, then switch to another brand using a different additive for the next 5000 miles. This ensures the first additive's buildup is wiped out by the second additive's cleaning agent.
If none of the articles or informed, technical information can convince you otherwise, then my hat off to Big Oil and their ability to misinform.

Modified by paultakeda at 10:04 AM 6-30-2003

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Re: ay, who uses ARCO? (paultakeda)

By the way, Chevron is probably the most thinned out gas. This means a really clean engine, but really poor mileage. About 22 mpg Chevron to 25 mpg 76 or Arco with my driving habit.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts

Quote, originally posted by paultakeda »
By the way, Chevron is probably the most thinned out gas. This means a really clean engine, but really poor mileage. About 22 mpg Chevron to 25 mpg 76 or Arco with my driving habit.

hmmmpf...i use Chevron 91. Maybe that's why my gas mileage sucks. Average 18 mpg.
240 miles and the gas light comes on.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: ARCO sucks

I had really bad luck with ARCO. Saying all gas in CAli. is the same is pretty naive. I stopped using it a few years back. I have since only used Chevron 91 oct. Have had no problems since. If you love ARCO keep using it. I give a rats arse about articles, I go by how my cars perform with certain types of gas and ARCO consitently gave me horrible performance. But thats just my experience.

Modified by nanobot6 at 7:28 PM 6-30-2003

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Re: ARCO sucks (nanobot6)

Haha...I ran my best ET and trap speed in my old Camaro on Arco.

If Arco were something that would destroy your engine, they would've been out of business decades ago.
There's no need to worry. Like someone said above, just go to busy gas stations so you know you're getting fresh gasoline.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: ARCO sucks (Sozsei)

And like I said it was my own experience that took me away from using ARCO. Everyone like yourself has a gas that suits them. Oh, I dont remeber anyone saying that any gas would ruin your engine.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

Quote »
Saying all gas in CAli. is the same is pretty naive.

Actually, I find this statement naive, especially since you have no basis for such a statement except having bad luck. Giving a rat's arse about expert opinion also weakens your point of view.
All gas in California IS the same, but blenders and additives are specific to a particular brand. However, there is no siginificant gain between one brand's additive or blender over the other; not at this time.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: ARCO sucks (paultakeda)

Listen we are not writting a disortaiton on the quality of gas in California. All I know is if I had a dime for every person (including mechanics) I know that complained about how their car ran after getting ARCO GAS I would have a huge bank account. Thats all. Get off your high horse PAUL TEKADA. It may be improveing and I hope it is, truth is the gas in California is bad across the board compared to other states.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

Quote »
truth is the gas in California is bad across the board compared to other states.

That is even more unqualified than your previous statement. Octane-wise, California is limited to 91, so yes, states with 93 octane gasoline have "better gas." California gas is considered one of the most uniform and clean gasolines in the U.S., if not the world.
I don't own a horse.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: ARCO sucks (paultakeda)

I see how you are Paul, one who must have the last word and can never be wrong. I give you props for coming to class having done all of your research. The articles were great reading. You deserve a gold star.
Paul, is experience with a product not enough to base a decision on? Everytime I have a problem with some product such as ARCO I will contact you so you can do the research, punch the numbers, then I will make my decision. Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I use it all the time. Works fine. Some people just think paying less means getting less. Alot of people are very rich because of that mentality.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Re: ay, who uses ARCO? (TarmacSpecial)

this is true.. but its not so much which manufacturer is better.. but which actual station is better... i know of 3 different arco stations in the san fernando valley that have been sited by the deparment of weights and measures for putting water in their gas.. now i never really hear of 76 or mobil or even chevron or shell stations that have gotten caught...( not saying that they haven't done it.. just that they havent gotten caught )... the arco on topanga and devonshire, on de soto and devonshire and what used to be balboa and rinaldi.. now its like usa or thrifty gas...
now thats only in the san fernando valley.. maybe its just that "few bad apples ruin it for the whole bunch" type situation.. but its definitely turned me off to arco gas..

·
Banned
6,135 Posts

You'll never win this one, either of you. Linus has articles saying arco gas is fine and all gases are the same. I have articles saying all gas is the same until the additives go in, then it is the additives and quality of them that cause problems. Then I have articles that talk about the effects of MTBE, and watch as most gas companies pull it from the fuel. If you search there is a good 3 page thread where Linus and I argued for days about it. I still don't use Arco and never will even if it will save me money and make me rich enough to buy a scirocco.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Re: ay, who uses ARCO? (late_apex)

ive gone through two carbs using arco before i learned to stay away from that crap. drive an older car that is more fickle and you will see. the stations are also in poor condition, the arco stations have the largest leak of additives into the soil/surrounding groundwater in orange county.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts