VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People with experince chime in. I've had 2 MK3 VR Jettas and now a MK4 Jetta VR but never a Passat. Let's talk what is a better Passat out of the B3/B4 range.

Obvioulsy the the manual transmission is preferred( I assume by the majority on here).

Now for the engines. I really like that the B3 came with the 16V 4 cyl engine - decent MPGs and somewhat decent power, but it's meh that B3s came with those front seatbelts that really make it look like an old car ( and it is, it's just that who wants to parade right?..). VR6s are nice but not really that good on gas. I like the idea of a diesel passat variant but most of them are high mielage and are priecier than other b3/b4s.

So for me a better Passat would be a B3 16V 5 speed with belts out of a B4, also leather interior from a GLX.

·
Registered
18,103 Posts
You are asking B3 vs B4? In PAOM? Chances are this will end up fiddy-fiddy.

Let's see.

"Obvioulsy the the manual transmission is preferred( I assume by the majority on here)."
Not preferred per se, it is the logical choice. Better mileage, not bound to fail, etc.

"but it's meh that B3s came with those front seatbelts that really make it look like an old car"
Well have a look over here then.

"VR6s are nice but not really that good on gas."
You sure? My '94 B3 VR6 (coilpack) with some intake, 2.9 clone, GIAC chip has been getting 31/32 mpg highway
if I go easy on the man pedal,
and 26/7 mixed driving - of which I do almost 100 miles daily.

Still: :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have a 91 b3 16v wagon and it is great on gas but it was an automatic and im in the middle of swapping it to a 5speed and it has a built motor just for reliablity and maybe a turbo later hehehehe. but im keeping it cuz its really clean low and looks and drives great. thought about the Vr6 swap but that will go into something else! but cant beat these cars hands down!!!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
theyre basically the same platform, just different body styling and engine options. u cant get a b3 with a TDI or a 2.0l 8v and u cant get a b4 with a 16v.......unless you do a swap. i guess it comes down to which body /engine combo you prefer

for me? b3 please :p

·
Banned
4,489 Posts
if you want the b3 body lines; the glx leathers; the 16v engine for gas milage; the vr6 for power and the b4 for the seat belts....
then get a late 92 or 93 canadian spec b3; it will have keyless entry option; the leateher seats; the manual seat belts; the b3 body lines and for power either choose a td ( canadian only option) or build your self a ABF engine to combine power from a vr6 and gas milage from a 16v...:wave:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts