VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all of you b5 turbo guys, I was wondering if you guys could lay out any of the typical problems you have with the 1.8t's. I tried searching google and I couldn't really find much, and forum search isn't great on tapatalk. But I want to get rid of my mk3 and get into something new so I'm on the hunt to either trade or buy something newer and b5's are on my short list. So I wanna know if there are any typical problems you guys see (like how e46 BMW's have water pumps that fubar and overheat the engine in seconds or like how some of the passat 1.8t's had engine sludge problems that would lock up the engine). So if I do pick up a 1.8t (just because of the insane ratio of 1.8t's vs 2.8's) I want to know if I'll have to expect my engine to blow up or something else costly. I DIY most of my work and if it's too hard for me I get one of my friends who's a genius with German cars to help.

Thanks guys

Tapatalkin'

·
Registered
508 Posts
timing belt is the biggest thing. both the 1.8's and the 2.8's have them, and if you neglect to do, you will be in for a new motor. air bag lights are common also, usually the module dies under the seat. central locking system pump breaks due to the graphite wheel shattering.

thats really all i can think of right now. very nice ride and reliable if you do your regular maintenance.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha well im used to airbag lights, my mk3's flickers on and off like its haunted. I read up a little and found the timing belt one. Sounds like its not bad though

Tapatalkin'

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
Timing belt/Tensioner
Sludge
Coil Packs
Control Arms
Wheel Bearings
Window Regulators
Coolant Flange

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well those aren't too bad, is the sludge as serious with these as it was in the passats? Like do people have those motors fail often due to it? Or is there something I can do to clear out the sludge?

Tapatalkin'

·
Registered
484 Posts
Here's been what I've seen between me and 2 buddys B5's

Power steering rack
Control arms
Axle boots
Turbo oil feed lines (clog all the time, starve the turbo)
coil packs
Ignition control module

Hope the cat doesn't **** the bed either. That thing is all kinds of annoying to replace

·
Registered
769 Posts
Well those aren't too bad, is the sludge as serious with these as it was in the passats? Like do people have those motors fail often due to it? Or is there something I can do to clear out the sludge?

Tapatalkin'
I have around 180k on my a4 with the 1.8t and got the letter in the mail about the sludging issues. When i stopped in at the dealership they told me i was over the allotted miles to have the sludge testing done. They pretty much told me that it usually happens earlier miles (50-80k) and if it hadnt happened by then, more than likely it wasnt going to be a problem.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you just always use synthetic when you changed your oil? That's the only real thing I'm worried about if I get one. I don't care about occasionally replacing stuff but I also hope that it wouldn't be a bat out of hell like my friends mk4 1.8t that has costed him more than it was worth (granted he runs that thing like a raped ape every single time he drives it)

Tapatalkin'

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm on my 4th B5 chassis car.

My 1999.5 A4 1.8TQM had 265,000km on it and required NO replacement parts. My 1997 A4 1.8TMQS had 195,000km on it and required a full set of front control arms and both rear wheel bearings. My 2000 S4 6-speed (APR Stage 4 - 450hp) had 160,000km and only needed rear wheel bearings (PO changed front control arms). And my current car, my 1997 A4 1.8TQMS has only required rear wheel bearings (the PO changed front control arms as well).

So if you get a B5 A4, it's not so much what will go wrong with the 1.8T engine... it's that you'll need to set some money aside for front control arms and rear wheel bearings at some point... guaranteed! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts