VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is down again, and this time it needs the timing done. Been researching parts and came across a kit from Continental. Includes belt, damper, idler, cam seals, tensioner bearing and metal water pump with gasket.

I know the belts have been good quality but is their timing kits just as good? I do intend on getting a thermostat as well which is not included as well as the cam chain tensioner gasket and half moon seal.

So what you guys think?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welp, I guess I'm going fwd with it and hopefully it keeps the car together...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welp, I guess I'm going fwd with it and hopefully it keeps the car together...

lol. I'm sure it will be fine. I opt for Conti whenever I have the choice, I've never used their kit persay but I always use the belts. I like to think that they are high on the quality of things so if they assembled the kit I would expect them to meet the same standards as they do for their belts.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol. I'm sure it will be fine. I opt for Conti whenever I have the choice, I've never used their kit persay but I always use the belts. I like to think that they are high on the quality of things so if they assembled the kit I would expect them to meet the same standards as they do for their belts.
Cool preciate it, how many miles have you been running their kits so far?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just to reiterate, I don't think I ever ran a Timing belt kit from Continental but I've had the belt on the S4 (b5) pretty much as long as I've owned the car (+10yrs). Just did a timing service last summer with this:FCP Conti Kits and I had somewhere in the ballpark of 90-100k on the old belt at the time. When I pulled the belts off, I run Conti acc belts to, they all looked fine, no crazy cracking or signs of major wear. Worn yes but nothing that I would be worried about. The kit above seemed to have good parts, all of the manufactures are OE and brands that I deem "reputable". I pieced together a kit locally for the 1.8 that I'm in the middle of installing now but I would highly recommend FCP as a part source if you haven't bought parts yet

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought the Conti kit, but I need to get heads, so the car would prolly be down till late spring or so. I believe after this I would have done the trans, rear diff, center diff, both subframes and then the timing and heads. This car should need nothing for years to come.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts