VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I've recently seen posts of people asking about antenna swaps for their B5.5s. I'd love to get a VW Sharon antenna for my ride. Can anyone recommend a good place that sells these and/or other products?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Re: B5.5 Antenna Swap (Jesstzn)

Hillside Imports - ask for Dan... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
26,760 Posts
Re: B5.5 Antenna Swap (RL331)

Quote, originally posted by RL331 »
Hillside Imports - ask for Dan... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Word. I got mine off eBay, but it was a Hillside Imports auction. You can't order them straight from VW and mount them- the thing has to be rethreaded for the U.S. bases. I paid $37 for mine on eBay, but expect one directly from Hillside to go for $40 or so retail. Still, it's a wonderful change of pace. As cool as the stock antenna looks while standing still, it looks downright silly flailing around like a lasso in the wind when you're at speed- the Sharan antenna is much more modest and sleeker. Your FM reception will take a little hit, but if you're like me and don't listen to FM anyway, don't worry about it. Any reception problems are going to be on the outskirts of your city, not within.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Re: B5.5 Antenna Swap (StattlichPassat)

Look at hom much better the Sharon antenna looks:

Has anybody glued theirs down? I'm thinking some punk going to steal my...

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Re: B5.5 Antenna Swap (1Point8TDan)

Quote, originally posted by 1Point8TDan »
Look at hom much better the Sharon antenna looks:

Ready to set sail captain, those stock antenna's have gotten to be crazy big over the last couple of years...Looks like you could raise a sail on them now.
So glad I took mine off, put it on my trade in and put my Sharan antenna right on. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: B5.5 Antenna Swap (cooleremail)

Agreed. The Sharon antenna looks great. Now when you say rethread...do I have to do this? Or is it already done by HillSideImports? I just want to buy the Sharon antenna and screw it in.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Re: B5.5 Antenna Swap (Golgo-13)

Quote, originally posted by Golgo-13 »
Agreed. The Sharon antenna looks great. Now when you say rethread...do I have to do this? Or is it already done by HillSideImports? I just want to buy the Sharon antenna and screw it in.

When you buy from Hillside (as I did) its all set to go. Thats why its priced higher than ebay, since Hillside does the rethreading.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Re: B5.5 Antenna Swap (1Point8TDan)

Quote, originally posted by 1Point8TDan »

I had electrical tape around my short stubby antenna for a day or two. But I took it off because I thought it looked too inviting.

·
Banned
26,760 Posts
Yup, Hillside will do the rethreading. I haven't really thought about glueing mine on- crime isn't a big enough problem around here for me to even consider worrying about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts