VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a B6 2007 3.2 4Motion Passat Wagon and it’s been wacko since day one. I replaced the HPFP first and that knocked out all of the fuel system codes. The next round of failures seems to be across the board, sporadic, and they disappear in a matter of minutes and the car is perfectly drivable again. I’m guessing it’s wiring problems rather than every sensor under the hood. Has anyone dealt with this? I love the car, but this is really getting on my nerves. Heaviest frequency codes are:
p0322 engine speed input circuit signal
P0864 tcm communication circuit
P0341 cam pos sensor
P0321 engine speed input circuit range
P0016 cam / crank correlation error.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I would check the wiring for bad ground, corrosion, fraying, and power connections. Also a full auto scan with a proper scan tool would help out as well.

Reactions: Coloradojake

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Agree, sounds like a bad ground. And a "proper scan tool" means either VCDS (best) or OBDEleven on your smartphone (OK). Definitely worth the money if you plan on working on the car (or any other VAG product) yourself.

·
Registered
16,884 Posts
Yeah I’d start with the grounds too and clear the codes to see what comes back.

Some of the ground locations off the top of my head I’m sure I’ll forget most but it gets you started:

-back of the cylinder head by the TB and PCV pipe.
-on the transmission under the airbox
-frame rails behind the headlight there are 2-3 locations (side and top)
-firewall by the strut tower
-in the raintray on both ends

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So that’s what those funny looking little cage things are? I figured they were grounds. P.O. let a bunch of leaves and dirt get in under the cowl. I vacuumed it all out, but didn’t check that ground. I’ll try that tonight. I also ordered a crank pos sensor and I’ll swap it out to see if that helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked and cleaned up all the grounds and it didn’t fix it. Still waiting on this sensor to arrive. I can drive it, but only for about 10 minutes and it shuts of and won’t start. Then after about 15 more minutes it starts up and the dash codes go away. Crazy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the tach works when cranking it’s not the crank position sensor.

Besides multiple codes at one time usual isn’t each item unless there is something common amongst all of them.

Maybe check the fuse box or schematics and hope they are all on the same fuse or wire off the fusebox.
I’ll check the tach tomorrow morning. The fuse box looks pretty sketchy. There’s a big red wire bridging across it that doesn’t seem to belong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only one left is a 448 All wheel
Control code. I’m not finding anything anywhere. Obviously the PO was a complete moron. I looked at all the fuse boxes and there were probably 8 fuses just missing! I replaced them with the appropriate fuse and all the dash lights went off but this one.
Also, the cruise control now works but seems to be fighting itself. It’s very jerky and can’t hold a speed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts