VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 772 Posts

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plan: have the first airbagged B6 on this side of the pond. There's a few of them in Europe, but I've never seen or heard of one in the US so I'm stepping up to the plate.
I know a lot of people don't agree with my styling concepts or ideas, but that's the beauty of living in America: I can tell you all to shut your big dumb face because it's MY damn car!
As a lot of you know, I'm originally from the Volkswagen side of the scene and I love the "Euro" look, especially what's going on in the mkIV Golf/Jetta scene right now. I'm also heavily influenced by the minitruck scene, so I'm sure you'll see a little bit of that as the car progresses as well.
"But why do this to an A4!?!" you ask? As I've said from the beginning, the B6 is a fat bloated (but luxuriously comfortable, well-optioned and fairly reliable
) pig so I have no intention of making my car fast. Personally, I think people are wasting their time making these things fast. If I wanted a fast car, I'd get another Mitsubishi Eclipse, and put 400hp at the wheels and run 11's all day for half of what some of you have into your cars in order to barely scrape 12's in the quarter (not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just sayin'...). I also drive my car everywhere (20k+ miles a year) and I live in Seattle which has some of the worst traffic in the country so it'd be kinda pointless to have a 350hp car when the fastest I ever get to go in it is 20mph. With that said, I'm sure you can at least understand where I'm coming from even if you don't agree with me.

Now, on to the handling issue: This car will handle as well as--IF NOT BETTER THAN--75% of the cars on this forum once I have everything dialed in and set up properly. With that said, handling isn't really my goal either, but if I want to do a little "spirited" driving, I won't feel like I'm driving a 30 year old Cadillac.
And before we get into the actual nitty gritty of this, a look back at my car's various stages thus far:
My favorite stage so far (99% of this is because of the stance with the HRE's that I foolishly sold)
:

In between:

The most recent look:

Currently, the car is on stock (non-sport) suspension with some super sweet stock 16" wheels and looks like a friggin' Allroad.
And for those of you wondering what the car will look when I'm done or what the hell I'm talking about, here are a few cars that have been a major source of inspiration for me:

Over the next coming weeks (months?
), I'll be updating this with my progress as I do everything from wire and install the air management systems, mount everything in the trunk, run the airlines, fabricate the bag mounts, install the bags, and bash my head against the wall as I work out all the kinks.
At this point, I have all the parts I need to get started either a) sitting in my garage or b) en route in the capable hands of the US Postal Service. Currently the only thing I'm missing to get started tearing everything apart is FREE TIME.

I'll be updating this thread regularly with lots of pictures and detailed descriptions, so stay tuned for updates!
I'm hoping to get started running wires for the compressor, gauges, switchbox and ride height controller tomorrow.

Updates and sections of interest:
Page 3 - Running wires and who not to do business with

Page 4 - Trunk setup started

Page 7 - Running air lines and installing air management

Page 8 - Suspension install

Page 10 - Comprehensive list of all components, costs and where I sourced them from

Page 13 - New shoes

Page 15 - Pretty pictures

Modified by Capt. Obvious at 1:14 PM 1-31-2008

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Re: (Capt. Obvious)

hell yea! mad props to you. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
love your car and all the stages, but definitely the 1st one the most.
I've been contemplating bags for a little while now, but just dont have the time nor money to go into something this intricate. definitely going to be watching this one!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I personal would never do bags I think that they are only for show. I have driven cars with really well set up bags and not one of them could compensate well enough for hard curvy driving. My stock sport suspension is better.
On the other hand I do love your car and think it is going to look killer when done. There is nothing to compare look wise. esp if you wanna slam it.(which I also think looks better on wagons)
vdubjettaman: if you like running the pa curves on the back roads you will hate them: I have never been to a state with such awesome roads.
esp near potstown and quakertown.

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: B6 A4 on bags: The mayhem begins. (Capt. Obvious)

Thanks for the kind words, encouragement and additional info guys, I appreciate it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif If I run into any issues along they way I'll be sure to shoot you a PM. I also have a lot of help other friends of mine who have a lot of experience with bags, so I'm pretty well covered.
As for the actually getting something done on the car today, not gonna happen.
I've got a ton of stuff I need to get done so I don't think it's gonna happen this weekend. I might try to get a little done tomorrow afternoon though. So, in the meantime, I'll give you the rundown of where I stand now and hopefully answer some questions you may have.
Here is my car is all her glory as she sits right now:

Stock 16's, non-sport stock suspension and I haven't washed her in about three weeks. She's looking pretty sad if you ask me. But that will all change soon enough!

And now, for those of you wondering what goes into an airride setup, here is what I have:

The red tubing is 50 feet of 3/8" DOT airline. I could have gone with 1/2" line and valves, but I decided 3/8" was the best choice for me because I don't want the car to raise and lower too fast, so the 3/8" should provide for a good balance of speed and smoothness for a car this size. If it's still too fast, they make special valves that can be installed to slow the rate of air flow from the tank if need be.
Inside the tubing is my 7 switch box from EAI (I found a good deal on this on ebay). This allows for up/down control of each corner, both fronts at the same time, both rears at the same time, and all four corners at once. It's a really nice piece and fits in the palm of my hand so I don't have to have one of those dumb looking lexan boxes like a lot of people use in trucks. This will be stored in the cubby/sunglass holder beneath the armrest in the center console. It also has a lock on it to disable it for valets or whathaveyou.
Also in there is a water/air filter from SMC (http://www.suicidedoors.com). This goes between the compressor and the air tank to filter the air going into the system and remove water from the air as well, because moist air will rust your tank and corrode the air valves eventually.
On the right, is my digital air pressure gauge from FBI, Inc. This is going to be mounted in the ash tray beneath the climate control so it's hidden but still easily accessable. This will give a readout of tank pressure and pressure on each of the four corners. It's a pretty nice piece, but I wish the backlighting on the screen was red instead of Indiglo Blue. Oh well, you can't win 'em all. At least it's hidden.
At the bottom of the picture is some wire and Locktite 545 for all the air fittings.

This is my 5 gallon stainless steel air tank that will be mounted in the trunk. I could have gone bigger, but I didn't want this system to take up my whole trunk, and one of the requirements of my install is that I still have room in my trunk for my wakeboard or golf clubs when it's done. I have a feeling the wakeboard is gonna have to start going in the back seat though, because it barely fits as is...
Next to the air tank are Slam Specialties RE-5 air bags and the upper mounts for them. The lower mounts are on the way, and I will post pictures once they get here. These will be replacing the coil spring on the rear suspension as shown here:

Like I said, I'll go into more detail later on.

These are Universal Air Suspension Aerosport front bags and their brackets. These are cool because they are hollow through the middle so the shock can pass through them, so they pretty much just take the place of the spring on the shock.
There are a few things missing from these pictures such as my chrome Viair 480c air compressor, which is essentially the heart of the system. Also missing are my four 3/8" valve blocks from EAI (http://www.jpkustoms.com). There are several ways to do valving with a system like this, and I decided for cleanliness and cost purposes that going with these particular valves would be my best option. Usually, you would run 8 valves (4 to go up, 4 to go down), but with these, they are basically two valves built into one unit, so it's more compact and makes for a cleaner install.

I also need to get my airline fittings still, but I'm going to wait for those until I have the tank and compressor mounted in the trunk so I can get a better visualization of how I want to run the lines and make them look good. I'm not just throwing together a half-ass project here, it's gotta look good when I'm done too!

Well, that's it for now. As I make progress I'll keep this updated with lots of photos, knowledge, tips and tricks; as well as answer any questions you may have.

·
Banned
10,900 Posts
Re: B6 A4 on bags: The mayhem begins. (pjp13)

Really.. Dude.. You think you're one of the first A4's to have bags.. Just because people dont post doesn't mean they dont have bags.. stupid fking rabbit trix are for kids.

·
Registered
35,066 Posts
Re: B6 A4 on bags: The mayhem begins. (Tone-Dogg)

::added to watched topics::

This is going to be interesting Darrick. I hope you can change my mind about bags, because well....I don't like them.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today's update:
I'm stuck twiddling my thumbs and can't really do anything until my damn compressor gets here.
The place I bought it from is appearantly run by a bunch of retards who don't know how to ship something despite the fact I bought it two weeks ago.

1 - 20 of 772 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.