VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
B6 Passat Rear Brake R&R DIY

I changed the rear brakes on my Passat this morning. The car had 38,875 miles on it. From the time I went out into the garage and the time I put the last tool away was less than two hours. This included taking pictures, etc.
Items needed include:
Jack, jack stands and chocks
15mm wrench
13mmsocket
Big "C" clamp or disc brake piston spreader
Battery charger
Computer with VAG-Com and cable
Wrench to remove lug nuts, 17mm socket
Torque wrench
**You must connect and use a battery charger to perform this procedure, otherwise you will get error faults.**

The first thing was to put the rear car up in the air and remove the rear wheels. I jacked the car up using the rear jack point, and placed a jack stand under the rear suspension arm. I did that for both sides.

Remove the wheels and there you have the brakes. But, you first have to open the calipers. Follow the directions from the Ross-Tech site.

Here
Make sure you connect a battery charger before you start the caliper opening sequence.

You will see these screens.

You will hear the rear caliper motors working. It takes a little while for them to completely open. You will see the numbers changing in the measuring blocks.

Once the motors have stopped, you are ready to remove the calipers. Using a 13mm socket and 15mm wrench, remove the caliper retaining bolts in the usual fashion.

Set the caliper aside for a minute.

Remove the old pads. The ones on the back will seem like they are stuck to the rotor. They're not, just push the top of them and they will come right out. My pads were pretty worn!

Press the piston back into the caliper. This is very easily done. There is very little resistance, as long as the pressure is straight in. DO NOT ROTATE! I had to use a large clamp, a spreader would have done the job better. Make sure you open your brake fluid reservoir and put a rag around it to catch any excess fluid (mine didn't spill any).

Place the pads into the carrier. The tabs on the pads slide right into the holder.

Place the caliper back onto the carrier, reattaching the caliper retaining bolts in the usual fashion.

Using Vag-Com again, following the directions for closing and testing the rear brake calipers.

The calipers will go through the cycles.
And that's it! Disconnect the VAG-Com and the battery charger, put your wheels back on, torque the lugs to spec, and bed the brakes to the manufacturers recommendations.
It was no harder (probably easier) than doing the fronts.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3785800
To change the rotors, merely remove the carriers and rotors and I showed in the Front Brake R&R.

**Use a battery charger!**

Modified by dhambrick at 6:01 PM 6-2-2008

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (sinned)

Quote, originally posted by sinned »
why do you need to hook up the battery charger while you use the vag-com?

To keep the correct voltage level for the control module to work properly.

Modified by dhambrick at 5:57 PM 6-2-2008

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (GLSVR6PWR)

Quote, originally posted by GLSVR6PWR »
Great job. Both of your brake DIY's shoudl be tossed in the FAQ.
Link to ross-tech wiki didn't work for me, but found the procedure here:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/inde...=3795

Modified by GLSVR6PWR at 3:03 PM 5-31-2008

Thanks, I fixed the link.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: (dhambrick)

oh boy, i tried this today and i can not clear an error code i got. i did not have a batery voltage charger hooked up. we were getting a code 01087 which got cleared away then got 02426. now we are stuck, and the calipers will not close open or anything. i am screwed i think.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (kuharious)

Quote, originally posted by kuharious »
oh boy, i tried this today and i can not clear an error code i got. i did not have a batery voltage charger hooked up. we were getting a code 01087 which got cleared away then got 02426. now we are stuck, and the calipers will not close open or anything. i am screwed i think.

Try the VAG-Com forum, you will need to post a complete scan there.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Glad you got it working. Saw your post and resolution inthe VAG-Com forum.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
dhambrick...awesome DIY man!!! I will be using both of your DIY write-ups w/in a month or so and replacing all four rotors and pads. Quick question for you...any recommendations on a battery charger? Would one of these cheap $20 ebay ones work? Obviously we don't need it to super charge the batter ASAP, just keep the voltage constant...seems like any of these should be able to do that...right? Thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: B6 Passat Rear Brake R&R DIY (dhambrick)

I do not have the vagcom software or cable. Would it be crazy to leave the key in the ignition so the automatic emergency brake does not engage?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (rbradleymedmd)

Quote, originally posted by rbradleymedmd »
dhambrick...awesome DIY man!!! I will be using both of your DIY write-ups w/in a month or so and replacing all four rotors and pads. Quick question for you...any recommendations on a battery charger? Would one of these cheap $20 ebay ones work? Obviously we don't need it to super charge the batter ASAP, just keep the voltage constant...seems like any of these should be able to do that...right? Thanks again!

Thanks for the kind words!
I would not count on a "Trickle" type charger to keep the battery up to the recommended voltage (I think it's like 13.5v).
That said, you can get a decent battery charger for <$40 at Auto Zone, Pep Boys, or somewhere like that. Or borrow one from your neighbor!

FWIW, my charger was pretty warm after the procedure.
Quote, originally posted by ic3man »
I do not have the vagcom software or cable. Would it be crazy to leave the key in the ignition so the automatic emergency brake does not engage?

Yes, it would be crazy to try, and probably cost you the price of a rear caliper. You cannot change the rear pads without the VAG-Com or the dealer computer.
If you try to change the pads without a battery charger, you will get faults codes, (see the above posts and check the VAG-Com forum).

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dhambrick »

Thanks for the kind words!
I would not count on a "Trickle" type charger to keep the battery up to the recommended voltage (I think it's like 13.5v).
That said, you can get a decent battery charger for <$40 at Auto Zone, Pep Boys, or somewhere like that. Or borrow one from your neighbor!

FWIW, my charger was pretty warm after the procedure.

Thanks...and http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for the DIY! Really appreciate it. Btw, did you upgrade the pads or just go with OEM pads again?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I upgraded, I got the Hawk EPS pads from Tire Rack, (see the top photo).
I have the Hawk EPS front and rear.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: B6 Passat Rear Brake R&R DIY (dhambrick)

Thanks for the excellent DIY!! bookmarked both for reference.
Regarding the rear rotors, did you check their thickness? Have seen posts saying the dealers recommending changing the rotors when changing the pads.
All your diys are very informative http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote, originally posted by rbradleymedmd »
That's right...my bad. How's the feel with all four pads upgraded?

Actually pretty good. Smooth step in, but really bite if pressed hard. I do have much more pedal now with the rears swapped out. I was suprised how thin they were!
Quote, originally posted by Bill212 »

Thanks for the excellent DIY!! bookmarked both for reference.
Regarding the rear rotors, did you check their thickness? Have seen posts saying the dealers recommending changing the rotors when changing the pads.
All your diys are very informative http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks!
I checked the thickness, and with the SM at my dealership. They said they were good to go. It was funny, they said that most of their rotor replacements are due to metal on metal from the pads due to excessive pad wear, rather than rotor degradation.
So, check your rear pads when you rotate your tires every 5k miles!

Modified by dhambrick at 5:18 PM 3-10-2009

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dhambrick »
Glad you got it working. Saw your post and resolution inthe VAG-Com forum.

Well I just got it fixed last night with the help of a friend and your DIY. Thanks again. Good work.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote, originally posted by kuharious »
Well I just got it fixed last night with the help of a friend and your DIY. Thanks again. Good work.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine is 2003 Passat. Do I need VAG-Com? I guess this is required only with electronic parking brake. Mine is just regular parking brake.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts