VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 174 Posts

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Re: (skaranam)

Quote, originally posted by skaranam »
Mine is 2003 Passat. Do I need VAG-Com? I guess this is required only with electronic parking brake. Mine is just regular parking brake.

No, only the B6 with the EPB need the VAG-Com.
I would check in the B5-B5.5 forum for specifics on your car.

· Registered
146 Posts
Re: B6 Passat Rear Brake R&R DIY (dhambrick)

Just wanted to add that you will need a triple square socket to replace the rear rotors. Also, when I did mine I was able to get the EPB open to change the pads and closed after I was done. But I couldn't get the EPB to cycle. Called Ross-Tech and was told that they have run across this before. Just start the car and use the dash button to open. not a big deal, but it might help someone from wasting time like I did trying to cycle the emergency brake.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Re: B6 Passat Rear Brake R&R DIY (steelerfan)

Quote, originally posted by steelerfan »
Just wanted to add that you will need a triple square socket to replace the rear rotors. Also, when I did mine I was able to get the EPB open to change the pads and closed after I was done. But I couldn't get the EPB to cycle. Called Ross-Tech and was told that they have run across this before. Just start the car and use the dash button to open. not a big deal, but it might help someone from wasting time like I did trying to cycle the emergency brake.

The rotor is held on with a Torx 30 bolt. (I referenced the rotor removal as done on the fronts, here http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3785800)
Great info on the rear open and close issue!

· Registered
146 Posts

True about the rotor being held on by a Torx 30 bit but you will need a triple square to remove the caliper carriers. Great write up by the way!http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Wish I would have had all that information when I did mine.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Re: B6 Passat Rear Brake R&R DIY (steelerfan)

Cool, I need to pull my wheels and check that out! What size triple square?

· Registered
146 Posts

You'll need a 14mm triple square. I bought a set online made by VIM Tools for about $35. Made in Taiwan but surprisingly good quality. I noticed a lot of triple square bolts when I was under the car. Thought it would be a good idea to have a set. Also, they are stretch bolts and they are a bear to get out. You can reuse them if you use a thread lock when you reinstall them.

· Registered
83 Posts

Hi, I've been a mechanic since the late 1950s, and I've got to thank you for your DIY on the B-6 Passat Brakes. I have a Vag Com, and your procedure worked liked "clockwork". Great photos too!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,615 Posts
Re: (badboyripper)

I believe all VR6 are in the trunk...

· Registered
143 Posts
Re: (Zerek)

Where do you get a 12 point 14mm drive to remove the rear caliper carrier? Anyone find this in a local store? Pep Boys only gets up to 12mm. I started the break job and can't finish without the bit.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Re: (badboyripper)

Quote, originally posted by badboyripper »
Nice write up. I think that I'll have to get a Vag-Com very soon. My battery is in the engine bay. Who else has there's in the trunk?

Thanks! All VR6 batteries are in the trunk.
estrov said:
Where do you get a 12 point 14mm drive to remove the rear caliper carrier? Anyone find this in a local store? Pep Boys only gets up to 12mm. I started the break job and can't finish without the bit.[/QU
I bought mine at Northern Tool. You also might want to check at Sears.

· Registered
21 Jetta
1,453 Posts
Re: (Zerek)

Speaking of batteries...
Quote, originally posted by Zerek »
I believe all VR6 are in the trunk...

Great write up. One thing to add for the VR6 folks - you have an AGM battery so be sure to use a charger with a setting for, and select, that type of battery.
From a VW TSB: When testing or charging battery either installed or removed from vehicle:
• Select AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) for 3.6L engine (located in left side of trunk). 480 DIN* or 520 DIN*

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Re: (type17volkswagen)

ok few things I noticed that I didn't have issues with. I did my brakes last year. I don't have access to vag com. but I know my way around brakes. I have a 06 2.0t and had no codes after doing mine without vag com and a battery charger. I removed the rear brake caliper by just taking it off, it took a little pressure but it still slid off. I had to twist mine then press it in till it was all the way depressed. but instead of letting the brake fluid go back into the reservoir( which causes the codes cause it messes with the sensors) crack the bleeder screw and all the brake fluid comes out not messing with any sensors. took me about 30 minutes to change them out with a jack and of course the other hand tools. simple and fast. still had no codes right up until my wife wrecked it last month, now I got a few different code faults for other reasons

· Registered
95 Posts
nice write up

Very complete DIY. thanks for the details.
I did mine without any battery charger hooked up..no codes or issues.
I think it's in the procedures as a precaution in case your battery is in questionable health.

· Registered
37 Posts

I don't have a vag com for my 2006 Passat 2.0T. What I do notice on my Passat is that when I turn off my engine (the auto hold isn't pressed), the parking break does not automatically engage to parking position. I can see that this is the case as I push the car (either from the front or back) while the engine is off, and the car does in fact move a bit. With the parking break on, the car does not move as I push it.
So... knowing that the parking break isn't automatically pressed againt the rotor (after the engine is off), do I still need the vag com to open the caliper before I go about changing the rear breaks???

Thanks,

· Registered
517 Posts
Re: B6 Passat Rear Brake R&R DIY (bxw)

Quote, originally posted by bxw »
I don't have a vag com for my 2006 Passat 2.0T. What I do notice on my Passat is that when I turn off my engine (the auto hold isn't pressed), the parking break does not automatically engage to parking position. I can see that this is the case as I push the car (either from the front or back) while the engine is off, and the car does in fact move a bit. With the parking break on, the car does not move as I push it.
So... knowing that the parking break isn't automatically pressed againt the rotor (after the engine is off), do I still need the vag com to open the caliper before I go about changing the rear breaks???

Thanks,

Yes, because although the electronic pistons are not pressing against the rotor when parked, it will not back into the caliper housing for you to get the new brake pads in because it will remain static in that parked position.
Why don't you try without it and let us know if it works or not...

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Re: B6 Passat Rear Brake R&R DIY (bxw)

Quote, originally posted by bxw »
I don't have a vag com for my 2006 Passat 2.0T.
snip

Yes.
You might be able to get the old brakes pads out because they have worn down enough to clear the rotor, but he new pads are much thicker, and VAGCom (VCDS) is needed to have the pistons fully retract into the caliper so the new ones will fit.
VAGCom also reseats and resets the caliper based on the new pads.

· Registered
3 Posts
I'm glad I stumbled upon this DIY before I screwed it up more than it is now! Luckily I had all the time to research wilst waiting for all the parts to come in (rotors, brakes, triple square).
I've already removed the left rear pads before reading up on the DIY. It's just hanging out right now until I get my Vag Com cable. Will I still be able to reset/reseat/open/close the piston, so I could push it back? Or am I screwed?

21 - 40 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.