VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 174 Posts

· Registered
7,111 Posts
Re: B6 Passat Rear Brake R&R DIY (bxw)

Ok guys I have made a major mistake when replacing my rear pads. I used vagcom to move the motors. I had both calipers off the car. I used a C Clamp to push in one side and reinstalled everything. My Major Flaw was that I tried to reinstall the rim/tire on one side before even finishing the other side. I stepped on the brake before the other caliper was reassembled. Now the piston has pushed all the way out and won't go back in. What have I done? How can I fix this problem?

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Re: B6 Passat Rear Brake R&R DIY (SMOOTH)

Quote, originally posted by SMOOTH »
Ok guys I have made a major mistake when replacing my rear pads. I used vagcom to move the motors. I had both calipers off the car. I used a C Clamp to push in one side and reinstalled everything. My Major Flaw was that I tried to reinstall the rim/tire on one side before even finishing the other side. I stepped on the brake before the other caliper was reassembled. Now the piston has pushed all the way out and won't go back in. What have I done? How can I fix this problem?

Use VAGCom to re-cycle the pistons back out and back in. That should reset the calipers.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Re: B6 Passat Rear Brake R&R DIY (bxw)

Quote, originally posted by bxw »
I noticed that you didn't have a pair of chuck to block the front wheels from rolling. Isn't this dangerous?

Actually both front tires are chocked. The chocks are on the front side of the tires, in the direction the weight of the car is sloped towards.

· Registered
7,111 Posts
Re: B6 Passat Rear Brake R&R DIY (dhambrick)

Quote, originally posted by dhambrick »

Use VAGCom to re-cycle the pistons back out and back in. That should reset the calipers.

I thought about that. (Remember one caliper is now back in place and one is unbolted) So use the sequence to close the piston and then performance the sequence again like I was starting from scratch......

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

Yep, from scratch.
Bolt the caliper back on with one old pad or something so that it won't come all the way put. You should be fine. Even with the piston out, with one old pad (or none), it should go back over the rotor.
I wouldn't cycle the motors with the caliper off the car. Not sure if anything would happen, but...

· Registered
7,111 Posts

Ended up being a little more difficult than that but it is all back together. Now my EPB light flashes and beeps. And I have this code:
Friday,05,June,2009,19:32:19:35305
VCDS Version: Release 805.4
Data version: 20090602

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 53: Parking Brake
Control Module Part Number: 3C0 907 801 B
Component and/or Version: EPB VC8HC001 013 0001
Software Coding: 0000013
Work Shop Code: WSC 131071
1 Fault Found:
02433 - Supply Voltage for Right Parking Brake Motor (V283)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101100
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 222
Mileage: 88008 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2009.06.03
Time: 19:16:42
Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 13.56 V
Count: 87

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

I would suggest posting this on the VAGCom forum. Also, there is a diagnostic portion of the Rear R&R VAGCom procedure.
Have you tried clearing the code and running through the entire sequence (including the test portion) again?

· Registered
7,111 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dhambrick »
I would suggest posting this on the VAGCom forum. Also, there is a diagnostic portion of the Rear R&R VAGCom procedure.
Have you tried clearing the code and running through the entire sequence (including the test portion) again?

Thanks. I have posted this on the VAGCom forum. I have tried clearing the code it comes right back and I have tried to go through the sequence again but I get a error message when trying to open the caliper and it doesn't do anything during the close or test sequences.

· Registered
82 Posts

Hey Mate,
I literally just noticed that you are in Dallas and that we have the same color car. That's weird huh...well thanks for posting this tutorial btw.
I need to replace the rear brakes on my Passat as soon as possible and was wondering what you were up to this weekend?
All we need is someone with VAG-Com to help open/close the calipers. I mean you posted the tut so you would know what I need the VAG for right.... Please let me know if you can help, thanks.

· Registered
19 Posts
Re: (RedWabbitVR)

I can verify that rear brake pads can be done with out vag com. Long story short:
- Ensure auto hold and park brake is off
- Jack the rear and remove wheel
- Remove the rear brake caliper
- Crack the bleeder screw
- Twist and press caliper piston all the way in
- Tighten bleeder screw once piston is in
- Install new pads
- Remount rear brake caliper
- Remount wheel
Thanks RedWabbitVR.

· Registered
829 Posts
I have to agree that having to purchase a program to retract the electric parking brake is a bit much. I do know my way around brakes as I was a certified technician. The systems have not changed much over the past 15 years. I can see just opening the bleeder would allow the piston to be seated again and not throw a code as the fluid is not going back to the master cylinder. I like to see who else chimes in on this fix.

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for a great DIY. I have an 08 2.0T with a bad parking brake switch button. And my rear brakes are trash at 30k Rotors and Pads. Could the bad PB button have cause premature failure of my rear brakes?? The Rear brake have had MAJOR dust on them since I bought the car new... My front brakes have over half the pad left- just have no idea how rear brakes are trash at 30k. Any help would be great thanks.

· Registered
829 Posts
From what I understand only one caliper in the rear will activate and be the parking brake. Therefore, if it was stuck then only this side would be worn out and rotor possibly toast. If both are doing it then there is another problem...like heavy braking on your part, crappy parts, proportion valve leads the rear brakes to work harder than designed. It is to my understanding that VW designed the rear brakes to work harder than the front. Perhaps some one can verify that. On my B6 the rear breaks do not generate more dust than the front brakes.

Modified by avgwarhawk at 1:44 PM 10-5-2009

Modified by avgwarhawk at 1:45 PM 10-5-2009

· Registered
3 Posts
Re: (avgwarhawk)

Thanks for the reply. I am taking the car to another VW dealer to have the brakes replaced and I will check if it one rotor or two that are bad. I do know what the wear is on the inside of the rotor as the pads and rotors are in great condition on the outside of the rear rotors. This is just very stange to me thanks again.

41 - 60 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.