VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been very happy with my Passat- but one thing that's been a concern- and after last night has really become a concern is the exterior paint.
After washing my car a few months ago- I noticed a 'dull, foggy' stain of sorts on the hood. It was obvious it was caused by bird sh*t. I thought 'well, my bad, must have not seen it, let it sit on there for too long- and I'll just make sure to get it off ASAP once a bird uses the Passat for target practice again'.
Well, I came home with two spots on the car last nights. Grabbed some paper towel (with warm water) washed it off- and - again, two foggy, dull stains (the size of the splatter itself)were left on the car.
In essence the paint is ruined. It's like it got under the clear coat- and fogged up...I can't remember having a car where bird sh*t would cause permanent damage to a car.
A. Does anyone else have this problem?
B. Are there any warranty implications I can use to have this looked at?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Re: B6 vs Bird Sh*t (Tydiggity)

Quote, originally posted by Tydiggity »
havent yet, no.
would this help "buff out" the stain or help protect future stains?

It may do both, but it will for sure prevent against future stains. I try to wax mine once in the spring and once in the fall. Haven't waxed it since March now, so I will have to do so this weekend. be craeful of getting wax on the black trim at the bottom of your car though. That stuff is difficult to get out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Re: (pgonza2723)

Quote, originally posted by pgonza2723 »
For sure detail the car if you haven't. If you don't have an orbital, then you will want to get something like:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merc...unt=4
It'll get those "fogged" out areas out of the paint along with any permanent bug stains, etc out.

Depending on how bad the etching is, no manual process will work to get the blemish out. Best bet is to get a DA and use a professional heavy cut cleaner (e.g. Meguiar's #84). You'd be surprised of the results.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts

For sure detail the car if you haven't. If you don't have an orbital, then you will want to get something like:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merc...unt=4
It'll get those "fogged" out areas out of the paint along with any permanent bug stains, etc out.

Do you have the picture of that black Passat you buffed .. i remember the mustang too. Freken clean.
JT

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Never did a black Passat, but the UG one still turned out great which is:

Thanks for the compliments X9t, lots of hard work with good pay-offs went into it.....
And despite popular belief, it is spossible to get those things out by hand. That Zaino product is mildly abrasive and is effectively a very very tiny portion of the clearcoat...think of wet sanding that is idiot proof. After you do that, then detail the car for sure and you should run into those problems anymore.

·
Registered
428 Posts

And despite popular belief, it is spossible to get those things out by hand. That Zaino product is mildly abrasive and is effectively a very very tiny portion of the clearcoat...think of wet sanding that is idiot proof. After you do that, then detail the car for sure and you should run into those problems anymore.

Being in the business, it is extremely tough to get bird etchings out by hand. The Zaino product mentioned is hardly an abrasive as it breaks down into a polishing rouge. This is not a true cutting polish and will require A LOT of elbow grease. While it's possible to get a minor blemish out by hand using a foam pad, it takes a ton of work and isn't worth the effort if bird droppings continue to get on the car. Again from my working experience, it's best to use a true cutting compound with a DA or rotary (depending on on how bad the blemish is).

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Re: (Seventhree)

Quote, originally posted by Seventhree »

Being in the business, it is extremely tough to get bird etchings out by hand. The Zaino product mentioned is hardly an abrasive as it breaks down into a polishing rouge. This is not a true cutting polish and will require A LOT of elbow grease. While it's possible to get a minor blemish out by hand using a foam pad, it takes a ton of work and isn't worth the effort if bird droppings continue to get on the car. Again from my working experience, it's best to use a true cutting compound with a DA or rotary (depending on on how bad the blemish is).

So basically you are calling their product propaganda at best? It not a traditional oil based abrasive but rather water based so it makes it easier to clean off. Yes, you are right, a orbital and oil-based cutting agent would be the "most" effective way of solving his problem, but based on his post I would assume he doesn't have experience with an orbital nevertheless an orbital with a cutting agent on it. Imagine what kind of "blemishes" would happen onto the car if he was to try it
With the Z-PC at least he wouldn't stand much chance of burning through the clearcoat and it does a better job of getting rid of "minor" imperfections than you give it credit for. I've used it to get out minor imperfections of each of the vehicles I've owned and never had to use an insane amount of elbow grease, just time and patience is all that is required. Hell, it even got out some minor kitty scratches caused by my cat who uses my car as a bed. I don't sale Zaino so I don't have an affiliation with them, but their product does work as advertised based on my "own" experience with it. To me, this is an easier alternative to the common person than going out getting an orbital and going from there. Just my opinion.....
As an alternative, although I've never used it, would be 3M's Scratch-X.

·
Registered
428 Posts

So basically you are calling their product propaganda at best? It not a traditional oil based abrasive but rather water based so it makes it easier to clean off. Yes, you are right, a orbital and oil-based cutting agent would be the "most" effective way of solving his problem, but based on his post I would assume he doesn't have experience with an orbital nevertheless an orbital with a cutting agent on it. Imagine what kind of "blemishes" would happen onto the car if he was to try it
With the Z-PC at least he wouldn't stand much chance of burning through the clearcoat and it does a better job of getting rid of "minor" imperfections than you give it credit for. I've used it to get out minor imperfections of each of the vehicles I've owned and never had to use an insane amount of elbow grease, just time and patience is all that is required. Hell, it even got out some minor kitty scratches caused by my cat who uses my car as a bed. I don't sale Zaino so I don't have an affiliation with them, but their product does work as advertised based on my "own" experience with it. To me, this is an easier alternative to the common person than going out getting an orbital and going from there. Just my opinion.....
As an alternative, although I've never used it, would be 3M's Scratch-X.

Ummm wow...I don't even know where to start. Nobody's discounting the Zaino product. Read the post again friend. You claim that the Zaino product is "idiot proof" wet sanding. Have you even attempted a wet sanding job?? Please do not misinform the OP with your fanboism as it does not replicate wet sanding process in any way whatsoever. You're insulting his intelligence and the people who read this thread.
A typical Porter Cable DA can be used by almost ANYONE. Again, have you ever used a DA?? Even with a speed setting of 5, you will not damage ANY part of the clearcoat unless you are PURPOSEFULLY doing so. The rotary action of the DA was made to specifically mitigate any "burning" of the clearcoat. On the other hand, a rotary buffer WILL BURN THROUGH THE CLEARCOAST AND PAINT!
Also, get your products straight. Scratch-X is made by Meguiar's...not 3M.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Sorry you are right, I mixed my company's up in terms of the scratch x. From now one I shall bow down to the all knowing detailing god.
Question, what is the purpose of wet/color sanding? To smooth out the high areas of the clearcoat or remove imperfections within the clearcoat, yes? So in a sense, you are removing clearcoat, yes? With the two products in question, they are abrasive enough to remove clearcoat and subsequently imperfections, yes? The difference being? Process is slightly different, but the effect and the results are the same, yes?
So how is what I've said is insulting intelligence or anyone, nor has anyone been misinformed. That's right, he needs to go out and spend $150+ on a PC, pads, cutting agent, finishing agent, then wax/polish. I'm sure he wants to do all that in which some time and efforts along with a $10-20 bottle can take care of. Would a PC be more effective, and faster....sure. Is it the right choice for everyone, no... it isn't.
Oh and funny how you threw in the "almost anyone", could have sworn it should have been anyone in your book. But alas, I'm done, you have your opinion from your high and mighty I'm the professional viewpoint and I'm just a lowly layman that apparently doesn't know anything about detailing cars hence my absolutely horrid results....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

All-
Thanks for the posts....Not a car or detailing expert- so I was merely looking to see if others had this problem with the B6 and some possible solutions to getting it out. Thanks for the pointers (and the subsequent verbal sparring)
Again- I'm just a bit confused as to why (after owning a B5.5, Accord V6, etc) that this is the first car to suffer so majorly from 'airborne invaders'.
Now I know my options...
Thanks to all who've replied http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
428 Posts
Re: (Tydiggity)

Quote, originally posted by Tydiggity »
All-
Thanks for the posts....Not a car or detailing expert- so I was merely looking to see if others had this problem with the B6 and some possible solutions to getting it out. Thanks for the pointers (and the subsequent verbal sparring)
Again- I'm just a bit confused as to why (after owning a B5.5, Accord V6, etc) that this is the first car to suffer so majorly from 'airborne invaders'.
Now I know my options...
Thanks to all who've replied http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

PM me if you need anymore insight. I'll be more than happy to help.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts

I no longer have access to a quality high-speed orbital, so I normally just wash, clay-bar, wash again then visit a quality detailer to do a cleaner wax and sealer. It's amazing to see how much comes out of your paint using the Clay Bar, especially if you don't garage your car.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Once you get your paint back to par, use Klasse SG to keep it sealed! Seal your car 2-3 times with it and you'll be good for the entire season, unless you live in Arizona or somewhere where theres only one season

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

See, this is why I'm drawn to silver paint -- the paint blemishes may be there, but they don't drive me freakin' insane. I had a black car once (BMW 325e) -- I'll never do that again. Sure, it looked drop-dead gorgeous once washed/waxed, but that lasted a matter of hours. Plus, with Wisconsin's morbid fascination with road salt in the winter, a silver car is the only way to go (the salt residue just sort of blends in, enhancing the natural beauty of the vehicle).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: B6 vs Bird Sh*t (sbachmeier)

See I bought the UG - as my B5.5 was black- and although I loved it (and thought it showed the chrome accents the nicest) it didn't correlate too well with our WI weather.
This is one of those cases where 2 of the 3 spots would never be seen unless I pointed them out. However- the zinger is the one that's on one of the creases on the hood. I may as well have a neon arrow buzzing and pointing to it.
Stopped by the dealer's detailer last night. They thought it 'could' be buffed out (at $their$rate$)- but I also like the sound of that detailing clay.
We'll see. Thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.