VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mk5 GTI that is an absolute blast to drive but doesn't do a good job of soaking up bumps.
There are a few B6/B7 A4 within driving distance, but I'd like to hear from you folks if you've owned both and if it's worth the trouble.

I'm looking for something that's maybe a good deal less fun to drive but more comfortable, particularly on the highway.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just brought a b7 home from TN to IN on Monday. It’s on stock suspension. It feels planted on the highway but pretty smooth. My girlfriend said it reminded her how a e39 540i feels. I like it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Having just made the switch the difference is measurable (I’ve got a b6 s4). Car feels very solid but yet still delivers a compliant ride. The a4 will probably be much more susceptible to body roll however as I know that massive sway bars are one of the big upgrades done on the s4 from the factory. I was similarly rather dissatisfied with the stock ride quality of my gti.

Side note: rim and tire choice makes a huge difference, I ditched the 18s on my gti for 17s with non xl load range tires and there was a pretty good improvement. I put those tires and rims on the s4 and it drives beautiful as well. I will never own another set of 18s with low profile tires on them unless it serves the functional purpose of clearing massive brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts