VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of insight. My cars power steering failed the other day while driving. Though I don't know exactly when it happened it seemed to go abruptly. I was near a friends so pulled in and turned of the car. After I filled up the reservoir (it was empty) and started it it immediately puked all the fluid out on the ground. I got the car towed home and have pulled out the return line. There is a small hole in the line so I know it needs to be replaced (i did the splice thing last year, but will just to the whole line this time). But while I was poking around it looks like there is a lot of fluid around the pump. It is hard to tell if this is just run-down from the failed line above, or if the pump is also leaking. Looking around online it sounds like most peoples pumps fail in a way that prevent them from pumping, not leaking. Anybody have any experience with a pump suddenly leaking? Note that the connections look ok.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of insight. My cars power steering failed the other day while driving. Though I don't know exactly when it happened it seemed to go abruptly. I was near a friends so pulled in and turned of the car. After I filled up the reservoir (it was empty) and started it it immediately puked all the fluid out on the ground. I got the car towed home and have pulled out the return line. There is a small hole in the line so I know it needs to be replaced (i did the splice thing last year, but will just to the whole line this time). But while I was poking around it looks like there is a lot of fluid around the pump. It is hard to tell if this is just run-down from the failed line above, or if the pump is also leaking. Looking around online it sounds like most peoples pumps fail in a way that prevent them from pumping, not leaking. Anybody have any experience with a pump suddenly leaking? Note that the connections look ok.
Most likely it is your steering rack that has failed. It is a common issue with B6/B7 A4/S4 cars. Another common point in B6/B7 S4 is power steering hose failure. The pump is likely fine, especially that it still pumped out all the fresh power steering fluid. Best wishes for a full recovery for your S4.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts