VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As usual it was only a matter of time until I found myself back in another one. I got a call from a friend the other day asking if I wanted a GTI really cheap. It was taking up valuable space in his garage for the last 7 years. I went to go check it out and ended up bringing it home. Needs some love but Ill use this space to document the resurrection.

I got the car and before even trying to start it I knew the brakes all had to come off for various reasons. It had been involved in a front end collision. It has a leaking power steering rack. I knew it hadn't run in years. Also I had noticed some missing pieces in the engine compartment.

Untitled by drmkiii, on Flickr
94Gti by drmkiii, on Flickr

Step one was placing an order for a new coolant bottle as mine was missing. End day 1

Once that arrived I was able to fill with fluids and attempt to start for the first time. Installed a battery and cranked. Of course no fire. Holy hope. Pulled a plug and check for spark which I had. Sprayed some ether. Pop and a fire! Awesome. It was at that time I realized that the car had been dumping fuel from the rusted out fuel filter in the back. It was then that I started addressing the front end damage. There was no front bumper or headlights on the car when I got it. He included a 1 piece front bumper and some ebay halos. The bumper I still have but the headlights were traded to a friend for some stock units. I installed a painted stock bumper I had in the shed along with the headlights. Started looking over the rest of the damage. (radiator support, evap canister, air box) End day 2

New fuel filter installed, I got some jumper leads and jumped over the fuel pump to drain 7 gallons of 7 year old fuel out of the tank. Quick drive to the gas station resulting in a few gallons of fresh fuel. Prime the pump and refill the fuel rail and boom! She lives! A little bit of messing around and she idles. Mighty well I might add. With that kinda ends day 3

Next was the brakes. Now here I was starting to get cheap. I happened to have a full running and driving 98 Wolfsburg Jetta that had a locked up motor when I bought it. After I freed the motor I never really trusted it (always made some weird motor noises and has a leaking head gasket) and kinda forgot it in the back woods. Pulled it up front and began pulling the full working and decent shape front pads and rotors from it. Yes I should have bought new but at this point the car hadn't really been on the top of the priority list. Everything swapped in perfectly and that ended day 4

94 gti by drmkiii, on Flickr

TONIGHT.... The car is pissed that I was trying to install used parts... locked up caliper bracket, rusted backing plates, bad wheel bearings, rotors on both cars are terrible, found a bunch of rot, locked up ebrake cables... So I did end up picking up new pads for the rear with intentions of using the old rotors but that is not happening. Going to order new brake cable, calipers, rotors, bearings, and seals. Hoping I have some decent backing plates on the other car but other wise those will have to be found as well. End day 5

94 GTI by drmkiii, on Flickr
94 GTI by
drmkiii, on Flickr

All in all Im glad to be back
Cabrio 2 by drmkiii, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I really wanted to get the brakes back togethe tonight at least. Unfortunately ambition exceeds funding. So parts will be reused until the day comes where I decide to replace it all.

awesome rear tires, these will definetly need to be replaced in the nearish future.

Don't half ass your body work and leave it guys :banghead: looks like they just filled in the holes with fiberglass filler. At least its not bondo.

More rot on the other side

Digging into the brakes, this side went much smoother then last night. Everything came apart and cleaned up nicely

Oops I started poking

One side cleaned up, bearings repacked and reassembled

Unfortunately a guide pin was locked up and in efforts to free it, it was lost :thumbdown: So Ill need to get a hold of a new caliper bracket before I can proceed

So instead I started digging into the rust

Previous bodywork fail

And with that we end day 6

Cheers :beer:

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Spent the morning running around collecting the parts to try and finish up the brakes. Started with a stop to the local machinist thinking he would have to drill out the broken guide pin. As I have no decent drill bits, I assumed it would be an easier job for him. I was right. After he extracted the old pin, I stopped and picked up new pins and boots and went home.

At which point I found a hole in the drivers brake hose :banghead:

So for now I have to go to work and Ill get back to this again tomorrow when the brake hose comes in..

On a brighter note, a set of wheels popped up for sale local that I may go pickup tonight! I really wasn't expecting to find anything I liked this soon.

End day 7

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Woke up this morning and went to pickup the brake line I ordered. Once I got it back together and back on the ground I drove it outside for the first time on its own power.

Immediately after getting it outside I realized I had no power steering. Should have checked that. No fluid..... Must be a leak. :banghead: Instead of looking for a leak I got it washed because like hell if I was going to look at that layer of dust anymore.

At work at the moment. After work Im going to continue to clean her up.

Till then :beer:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey, that's pretty rough haha. I would check around the towers and floors really well before you start fixing the outer rot, I burned myself bad with my jetta starting to fix the outer stuff before really getting into it. You're before the point of no return still haha. If you save it props, aren't that many sports kicking around anymore and a lot of them seem to have been swap candidates, personal experiences though I'll never fix a rusty shell again, once you've had a couple rust free ones you really start to appreciate how much easier it is to work with them :laugh:

Good luck on your project and keep at it!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

I've read your thread a couple times. I'd love to come across a rust free car up here. I have some passenger tower rot to deal with in the future but my parts car has a clean tower I can steal. Floors are in great shape. I've been to afraid to pull the sideskirts. Hopefully they are saveable yet. Getting to drive it today was a clear reminder why I love these cars so much. Fixing the rot is all part of the fun I guess

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
Looks like a lot of welding. With that hole and rust in the rear rocker end, the outer floor section with all the drain plugs and the rockers might be toast. Usually it rusts out around that drain plug. With a hole below might mean the rockers were filled with water and rotted from the inside out but could also be from rear wheel splash and cracks in the undercoating. Good luck and watching for updates :thumbup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'll be watching the progress 🍿my bucket shares some of the same "speed holes" lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'll say again with personal experience, It's worth spending the money on a road trip to get a clean one. You'll have more money, time, and effort in patching up a rusty car than you would in just taking a truck and trailer to go get a desert car, or just one from a state that didn't use road salt. If you're serious about fixing it you should definitely start finding people who have clean ones that would be willing to cut sections and ship to you, since floors aren't reproduced and the other sections that generally rot are getting harder to come by. I had the advantage of a bodyman for a dad, so he taught and helped me a ton on fixing mine and to be completely honest I regret fixing the blue car. I'd have had a lot better car for the money starting with a truly nice one.

If you're still set on fixing it than I wish you the best of luck, resources on rust repair are definitely out there and it can be a heck of a learning experience.

To answer your other question my car has Klokkerholm rockers in it, they make a pretty nice product :beer:

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate the concern with trying to patch up a rusted car, much less a rusted car that was in an accident. Your more then right, I should find a better car to start out with. I'm sure Ill regret deciding to fix this one... BUT... this was an opportunity that I had. I don't want to jabber on about why but driving for a car wasn't really an option for me right now. If you curious into that further feel free to message me. :thumbup:

Tonight progress really isn't progress, but exciting none the less. Picked up some wheels local for a steal of a deal.

Oz vega by drmkiii, on Flickr

OZ Vega 15x7

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
looking into Klokkerholm panels. Anyone ever use them?
I've used their panels including rockers and outer floor pans on two Mk3 models. Using almost every panel they offer on a Mk2. Good quality and everything fit perfect. Pretty much all of the replacement panels are made by them. Key Parts is their main U.S. distributor and they drop ship for everyone else that sells them. I found in the past that Jegs is the cheapest place to get them with free shipping. Just search by the SKU listed on keypartsonline.com

If you are doing the rockers and outer floors, I was told by Zeb from Auburn VW that I got the last OEM front rip plates available a couple years ago, but possible more stock has been found since. Easiest, quickest, and cleanest to do all the pinch weld areas on those 3 panels with a spot welder like factory. I used a Harbor Freight one with no issues and the time savings compared to plug or spot welding with a wire welder was well worth it.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Didn't get much accomplished on the GTI this weekend. I was occupied with getting other things in order. Saturday morning after cars and coffee I drove up to the twin cities to the upull yard. I snatched a tailgate and some electronics for my parts hauler. The real reason I was there was to buy some stock suspension for my a4. I have had cut springs on blown shocks for too long in the rear. Sunday morning I had a friend swing by and got coils and wheels installed on his b7 a4.

While he was finishing up one side I decided to test fit one of my wheels on the GTI.

Once it was done we went for a drive to make sure that nothing was rubbing

Then my attention got turned to my a4. I needed to get it a little more comfortable before I get it ready to sell

Till next time :beer::beer: Cheers

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the mk2 pulled in the garage tonight and started pulling parts that I want to use on the GTI

5/17/17

Poor vr

Coils were not as clean I was hoping but truly pretty close to what I expected.

5/17/17 by drmkiii, on Flickr

The steelies I pulled off the mk2 are kind of different, I may use them somewhere.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.