VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1984 rabbit convertible slow build

After 10 years I found myself back in a mk1 cabby. She's a '84 rabbit convertible I scored in trade for my rotted out mk3 jetta vr. This is my second cabby; first was my 91 etienne aigner edition in midnight blue pearl... god I miss that car. In any event, on with the pics.

First day home and coolant leaking all over the driveway.

Straight body.

Desperately needs a wash.

Rear bumper needs to be tucked immediately.

Anyone have a driver side outer chrome grill piece?

Interior is pretty clean; the white spot on the passenger seat is a piece of paper.

Rear is just as clean; more pieces of paper on the passenger side.

Very minimal rust and zero rot for a 30 year old car with a super clean interior and really good top. Relatively leak free; noticed I get a slight drip on the passenger side after I realigned the door... will have to address this at some point.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
fixed pictures

Tired but still running 8v; found an old set of Eruosport wires in my bin of parts so decided to put them on.

Got bored/ drunk one night and drew up this bad boy.

My new wheels arrived.

They are the stock 13"x5" widened to 13"x6" and chromed.

Had to get some tires shipped over from the UK for the correct size.

And my coilovers arrived as well. JOM 16-way adjustable dampening.

Going to be a fun weekend getting all the new parts installed, tires fitted on my wheels and finish tucking the bumpers. Rear is done, front still to do.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm stoked with the condition the interior is in. My guess is all original? The only downside, other than the crack in the passenger door card, is the asshat PO wired a toggle switch to the fuel pump and cut a hole in the dash to mount it... so I'll need a clean dash to replace with.

Why coilovers?
Because I'm going to slam it out. I know I mentioned getting rid of the vr due to oil pans, but in all my years of 8v's I've never messed up a pan. Plus, this is a nice day car; not a daily like my jetta was.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Was able to get the coilovers fitted today. Still need to dial in the height.

Fronts need to come down quite a bit.

Completely tucked the rear bumper a few weeks ago. The rear trunk hits the bumper over riders. Thankfully I never welded the bumper shocks in place.

Had time to get the tires mounted and balanced. Can really start to see how bad the front camber is.

Now I can put my air freshener in.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Really like how it is coming together. One from earlier today.

Still needs a lot of work but at least I can get her registered and on the road for a little bit of driving before going away for winter. Here's a question to the board, what does everyone do to brighten up the tail lights? In day light mine are hardly visible (brakes, blinkers).

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What coilovers are those?
JOM 16-way adjustable. Ride like poop.

Making sure it IS right up against the plastic...
Double checked this yesterday as I was addressing some electrical issues and noticed they were locked in correctly. However, I did notice that I was missing the passenger side cover... could that be causing some of the light loss? If not, I also want to take some meter readings to ensure I'm getting full voltage to the lights.

I love these wheels, I need something like this for mine!
:thumbup:

Makes me want to break the no-spending rule and buy me some coils.:thumbup:
:laugh: :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Tired and old 8v engine bay.

New radiator, new/ clean overflow tank and removed washer tank.

Started removing "unnecessary" vacuum lines.

And finally got around to tucking the front bumper.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Removed the shattered pan to see everything was still in-tact. Anyone know if the new hybrid pans work with the early pick-up tube and pump?

And the wee turbo seamus.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Removed the shattered pan to see everything was still in-tact. Anyone know if the new hybrid pans work with the early pick-up tube and pump?
No clue but the aluminum pan fits the 020 just fine, and they are plentiful in the wrecking yards.
One other thing I noticed in the junkyard a few weeks ago is some came with heavy duty skid plates. Car was an automatic 2.0. Don't know if its a year thing or an automatic thing or both, but might be something to consider. I like keeping as many OEM parts as possible so I can replace them easy, and they usually fit better

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ride very low and have smashed quite a few aluminum pans in the last several years. The later model hybrid pans are still OEM so I'm going to give it a try. Maybe it will last longer, maybe not. I still have a hard time understanding how it is an improvement but was $40 cheaper. I already ordered it so I should be able to throw it on the block this week and check fitment with the stock pickup tube and pump.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
When did they start making those? I will keep an eye out. Down here you can never find a Mk1 or mk2 in the yard but mk4's are a dime a dozen...
Steel pans aren't fool proof either fwiw.. long time ago I was driving my mk2 on cut neuspeed springs and tokicos, with 175/50/ 13's. Hit a good dip and scrubbed the pan.. it didn't hammer the pan but it grabbed that low point at the drain plug and peeled it back...
Only good thing was I was only a mile from my friends house so I coasted as far as I could then limped the rest of the way so I could rob a pan from him.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll have to find a picture from one of the pans off my old mk3 VR; pan was mint but I managed to shave off about half of the oil plug, just enough to drain all the oil...

Here's the new hybrid pan (stolen from GAP)

The only reason I stumbled upon it was because (at the time) I had no clue what year my motor came from. Supposedly it can take more of a beating than the all aluminum... On my old mk3 VR I ran R32 aluminum pans, shortened and strengthened stock steel pans and skid plates. All in various configurations. The shortened and strengthened stock pan lasted by far the longest by itself. Ran this set-up for over a year without any issues daily driving until I got rid of the car. Hell, it still works perfect for the new owner!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts