VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Porsche Boxster S, 2019 VW Tiguan SEL
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for the last few months to replace my MK7.5 GTI. My wife and I moved from CA to FL in June, and I sold the GTI prior to the move to cash in the outrageous car prices at the time. It was honestly a fantastic car that did everything well, but was a bit boring in stock form. I put all of 11k miles on it in just under 3 years!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

I spent quite a bit of time on all the car sites, BringaTrailer, etc looking for used Porsches. I would love to get back into a 996 911. I owned a '99 for a couple years almost a decade ago, but couldn't stomach the prices people are currently asking. Paying nearly 100% more for a car I used to own just didn't sit well... :confused:

Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Boxsters haven't had quite as much of an increase, and with us down in Sarasota I figured a convertible might be the way to go. My family grew up with a bunch of Cabriolets when I was a kid, so I definitely have some drop-top blood in me.

I spent way too much time searching across the country for a couple months until I found this 2007 Boxster S out in Arizona. 71k miles, 3-owners with a very good service history. 2007 models have the updated 3.4L M97 engine, which saw a boost in power and updated IMS design. Car is equipped with the Preferred Plus Package which gets Xenons, Power & Heated Seats, Bose and a few other nice features. Overall it's pretty solid and was definitely taken care of over the years. Color is Night Blue Metallic which is a Dark Blue/Purple that looks really nice in the direct sun but goes to more or less black in the dark.

Feels great to be back in another Porsche. Being 6'5 it's pretty difficult to find smaller sports cars that I actually fit in (Lambo's not ever happening....). This car is comfortable, noticeably higher quality than my 996 and just as much fun to drive. I've done a few small mods like clear markers, but hope to get an exhaust sooner than later. It's a bit too quiet for my liking!

Anyway here are some pics from sunrise this morning in Sarasota :)

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Gear shift Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great color! Is that Metropol Blue interior?

I recently bummed around in a 987.2 Cayman with MB interior and it was nearly black.
Thank you! I was hoping for Lapis Blue or something similar, but I do like this color. It's almost identical to the MK7 I just sold :) The interior is a dark gray/black.

Congrats. As someone with both 7.5 and a 981 Cayman not sure I would have made that same switch, but that's just me. That 987 looks very clean!
Thanks :) I would have loved a 981 but the prices have gone up tremendously. I'm not a huge fan of the 987 Cayman, so for the price point I think this was the best possible choice for me.

·
Registered
45,192 Posts
Thank you! I was hoping for Lapis Blue or something similar, but I do like this color. It's almost identical to the MK7 I just sold :) The interior is a dark gray/black.

Thanks :) I would have loved a 981 but the prices have gone up tremendously. I'm not a huge fan of the 987 Cayman, so for the price point I think this was the best possible choice for me.
Just to be clear in case it came off as dismissing the 987 that's not what I meant. I meant personally I would not have traded in a practical car like the GTI for a Boxster. However I just saw you have a Tiguan as well, so in that case I totally agree with your choice. 2 boring cars would have made no sense. Glad you got the 987 ;)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats!! Love the lobster claw wheels of this era
Agreed. They were a must have for me!

Just to be clear in case it came off as dismissing the 987 that's not what I meant. I meant personally I would not have traded in a practical car like the GTI for a Boxster. However I just saw you have a Tiguan as well, so in that case I totally agree with your choice. 2 boring cars would have made no sense. Glad you got the 987 ;)
Absolutely man. Having the Tiguan and the GTI at the same time was a bit redundant as its 95% the same car. I've been lusting after another Porsche for many, many years, so this feels like a pretty big upgrade to me. Best part is I can fit almost all my photo gear in the Boxster, which is pretty incredible given its size.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
38,674 Posts
Love it!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
As a fellow tall person also at 6’5” I felt like the 986 I drove would have been more comfortable with a fixed back bucket (can’t recline anyway) and a lower center console delete. Is the newer interior any better for tall people?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I really enjoyed my 996, but this car is pretty much better at everything. The steering feel is absolutely sublime. My only real complaint is lack of engine noise/exhaust
Congrats on the car. Condition looks fabulous too, I'm assuming the buttons inside were replaced at some point recently? Usually the 987.1 interior doesn't hold up at all.

Get a Carnewal modded exhaust on that car and I think you'll be very happy with the sound. That's the route I went with my car and have zero complaints.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
986/7s are flying under the used car radar it seems (relatively speaking). The .2 cars are an exception, but there's a lot of value in these guys. Yours looks great and I hope you have lots of fun with it!

Once I accepted that it's not a "fast" car I'm having way more fun in mine than I ever did in a 996, and 6 months ago I would have considered that statement sacrilege.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congratulations and beautiful 987.1. Those lobster claws really make the car.

I love the color as well. I hope you have a blast in it!
Much appreciated! The wheels really do suit the car. I find Porsche OEM is typically the best look.

As a fellow tall person also at 6’5” I felt like the 986 I drove would have been more comfortable with a fixed back bucket (can’t recline anyway) and a lower center console delete. Is the newer interior any better for tall people?

Congrats on the car. Condition looks fabulous too, I'm assuming the buttons inside were replaced at some point recently? Usually the 987.1 interior doesn't hold up at all.

Get a Carnewal modded exhaust on that car and I think you'll be very happy with the sound. That's the route I went with my car and have zero complaints.
Condition is really good for a 15-year old car. It has PPF on the whole front end, mirrors and arches. The interior has definitely had the HVAC buttons replaced in the past.

good lord, that color with the Lobster Claws is a great spec!

I think you used to live close to me - by the Petersen if I'm not mistaken - that Boxster is perfect for either California or Florida.
Thanks so much! Yes I used to live on 8th by the Petersen. Definitely miss the twisty mountain roads on Route 2, but finding some really nice back-roads around here. Weather is finally cooling off in Florida so its officially convertible season.

986/7s are flying under the used car radar it seems (relatively speaking). The .2 cars are an exception, but there's a lot of value in these guys. Yours looks great and I hope you have lots of fun with it!

Once I accepted that it's not a "fast" car I'm having way more fun in mine than I ever did in a 996, and 6 months ago I would have considered that statement sacrilege.
I agree on the pricing. For some reason the Boxster prices have stayed relatively sane. I think I got a really solid deal on this car and hopefully will be on the right side of things if/when I decide to sell. I wanted to spend around $20k and there aren't a whole lot of P-car options in that range anymore haha.. Even beat 996s seem to be fetching more than that.

It's definitely not 'fast', but it is super-fun and the handling is second to none. Car has Pilot Sports and it feels extremely well planted. I think the 300hp range is perfect for a fun car that won't put you in jail immediately.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,201 Posts
Congrats, that car looks to be in great shape. I really like the color as well. Looks pretty close to perfect.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 63 Posts