VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Car looks mint! Congrats!

It's impressive to me how current and modern a well cared for 987 looks, infotainment aside.

I've considered selling my C63 and buying a 987.1 Cayman S or Boxster S, now that I'll have a daily provided by work.
The issue is that, unfortunately, where I live, these are no longer flying under the radar and their price has increased by 40-50% in the last year.
This means I'd have to sell the C63 and put more money down to get into an even older (2007-2009) car.

Enjoy it in good health!

·
Registered
2007 Porsche Boxster S, 2019 VW Tiguan SEL
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My height is the only reason I won't get a Lambo either. :whistle:
I mean, it's not like its a budget thing... :) Seriously though, I drove a Gallardo a few years ago and it's incredibly cramped. I couldn't fit in the car with a helmet on, and even without one it wasn't pretty.

Congrats, that car looks to be in great shape. I really like the color as well. Looks pretty close to perfect.
Thank you! Car had a full PPF from about 6 years ago, so it's been well taken care of. Plan on doing a paint correction and ceramic coating shortly.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
your purchase reminds me of this detail of this Boxster. I think the 987 just looks so good with a glossy detail

Go to 46:00

I'm a sucker for a good detail video! I spent a half day when I got the car claying, and doing a quick wax, but haven't had a chance to do a full paint correction yet.

The 987 has grown on me. When they first came out, I was a bit meh about it. But now I'd say now its a simple, but classic style that should be fairly timeless.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Domane
3,684 Posts
Nice choice, I have been daydreaming occasionally of a base boxster down here (moved St Pete this year) but in town we have no roads worth driving on... Are you going inland to find nice roads? I've only experienced I-75 and strip mall suburban mcmansion hell in the Sarasota area.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Detail videos are like therapy for me. I've been stuck working from home for the past few months and the loneliness sometimes gets to me. I find if I put a good hour long detail video on the TV and work on my laptop on the couch I feel way better, and do better work.

987 is an all time classic to me. I was never a 986 fan when they were new, though I really have grown to like them. When the 987 Boxster came out I didn't pay much attention. Then the 987 Cayman came out and I was instantly in love. It was a car that just ticked every box for me and I simply adore the looks of. I feel the same way about the 987 Boxster too now, but still have a preference for the fastback roof of the Cayman, the accentuated rear haunches and the cut line that run from the door sills into the air intakes really add to the Cayman for me.

This is an opinion that I don't think is shared by the majority, but I think Porsche lost the script with the 981 and 982. Too bulky looking. Too many hard lines on the car. Less contour to the front and rear fenders. Bloated hatch on the Cayman. That body cut line above the side air intakes really bugs me, it just reeks of cost cutting.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
This is an opinion that I don't think is shared by the majority, but I think Porsche lost the script with the 981 and 982. Too bulky looking. Too many hard lines on the car. Less contour to the front and rear fenders. Bloated hatch on the Cayman. That body cut line above the side air intakes really bugs me, it just reeks of cost cutting.
I think the 981 Boxster and Cayman look fantastic. Compared to the 986/987, they do look bulky, but to me the proportions are spot on. I like both generations of these twins, but I actually like the harder lines on the 981.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Car looks mint! Congrats!

It's impressive to me how current and modern a well cared for 987 looks, infotainment aside.

I've considered selling my C63 and buying a 987.1 Cayman S or Boxster S, now that I'll have a daily provided by work.
The issue is that, unfortunately, where I live, these are no longer flying under the radar and their price has increased by 40-50% in the last year.
This means I'd have to sell the C63 and put more money down to get into an even older (2007-2009) car.

Enjoy it in good health!
Thank you! I agree, aside from the stereo, the whole car looks relatively new and modern. Price wise they have definitely gone up, like everything else in the past year or two. But I still feel they are a relative bargain in the $20-25k range if you can find one. It took several months of searching before I found something as I had pretty specific color/option requirements.

What are your plans OP?

As a former 987 owner I'd be happy to chat about the ownership experience.
Going to do a few small OEM+ mods, but mainly just drive and keep it maintained. I'd love to get an exhaust but haven't gotten past the Porsche tax yet. $2500 for a catback?! Jeesh.

Nice choice, I have been daydreaming occasionally of a base boxster down here (moved St Pete this year) but in town we have no roads worth driving on... Are you going inland to find nice roads? I've only experienced I-75 and strip mall suburban mcmansion hell in the Sarasota area.
St Pete is pretty rough for driving, but once you get out there are some pretty nice areas further south (any reason to take the Skyway is a plus in my book). In Sarasota there are quite a few nice inland country roads, which is about as good as it gets in Florida. It's definitely not driving perfection but not bad!

I think the 981 Boxster and Cayman look fantastic. Compared to the 986/987, they do look bulky, but to me the proportions are spot on. I like both generations of these twins, but I actually like the harder lines on the 981.
I love the 981 as well, but it is a much more aggressive looking design. The 987 still has those 550 Spyder-esque curves which I've really grown to love.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Good choice, congrats! 6 years is still relatively young for the PPF, so you should be fine. Our gen 1 TT had 16 year old PPF from new, which the previous owner left on. Was a major pain to get off, and did some paint damage requiring a respray in certain areas.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Good choice, congrats! 6 years is still relatively young for the PPF, so you should be fine. Our gen 1 TT had 16 year old PPF from new, which the previous owner left on. Was a major pain to get off, and did some paint damage requiring a respray in certain areas.
Most of the PPF is in good shape, but I removed the headlight pieces as they started to oxidize and yellow a bit. Definitely a nightmare to remove though especially the left-over residue.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I had the same issue. Used an amazon steamer to little effect. Even pulled a patch of respray up. I watched an AMMO nyc video where he used boiling water and poured it against the seam as he slowly pulled it, and that seemed to be the most time effective.

·
Premium Member
ND2 Miata | X350 XJR
5,517 Posts
Congrats, man! Car looks extremely well-maintained from the outside and the interior isn't too shabby either. I'm assuming you had it delivered, though that would've been a pretty long road trip back to Florida.

Carnewal exhaust and new shifter cables will make huge improvements. Any documentation of the water pump or any suspension components being replaced?

Enjoy!

·
Registered
347 Posts
For increased noise, on my 986S anyway the best mod I made was finding the loudest cold air intake I could--that's about the only thing I dislike about my Miata...there was something about that intake bellow just over your left ear, particularly on a highway onramp next to a concrete wall! Much preferred to a loud exhaust.

I am less familiar with the 987 but I wager it is similar.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I had the same issue. Used an amazon steamer to little effect. Even pulled a patch of respray up. I watched an AMMO nyc video where he used boiling water and poured it against the seam as he slowly pulled it, and that seemed to be the most time effective.
Best solution for the PPF residue is called Rapid Remover. It's a citrus based solution that eats right through the residue. Ended up removing the front hood PPF as it was really beat up and looking rough. Used the steamer/heat method to remove, but still had some residue left over. 3m adhesive remover & Goo Gone did absolutely nothing. The Rapid Remover is legit!

Congrats, man! Car looks extremely well-maintained from the outside and the interior isn't too shabby either. I'm assuming you had it delivered, though that would've been a pretty long road trip back to Florida.

Carnewal exhaust and new shifter cables will make huge improvements. Any documentation of the water pump or any suspension components being replaced?

Enjoy!
Thanks man! Yes I had it delivered from AZ. We just did the trip from CA->FL for the move and wasn't about to do it again a couple months later :)

Any easy way to tell if the shift cables have been updated? Honestly feels really tight and shorter throws than I expected.

I've looked into the Carnewal and the change is pretty subtle. I think I'm probably leaning more to a cat-back once I can stomach the price.

11,000 miles in 3 years ???? you drive less than 4000 miles a year???? why even have a car? Get a scooter... nvm, looks like you got one
You've never heard of a 2nd fun car? ie; Not a daily driver? Not the sharpest tool in the shed, eh?

For increased noise, on my 986S anyway the best mod I made was finding the loudest cold air intake I could--that's about the only thing I dislike about my Miata...there was something about that intake bellow just over your left ear, particularly on a highway onramp next to a concrete wall! Much preferred to a loud exhaust.

I am less familiar with the 987 but I wager it is similar.
Thanks for the tip! I'm not usually a big CAI guy, but the engine desperately needs some more noise. I was under the assumption sitting directly in front of the engine would result in more feedback, but I guess it's so isolated in there that you don't hear/feel much of it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I've looked into the Carnewal and the change is pretty subtle. I think I'm probably leaning more to a cat-back once I can stomach the price.
Really? On my 987.2 I found the change fairly dramatic. Stock I couldn't hear the exhaust at all, it was totally drown out by intake. After the swap the car sounds amazing, perfectly balanced with the intake and makes my hair stand up in tunnels. I also have a Fabspeed X-Pipe which could be adding to the sound.

I've heard that on 987.1's the change to Carnewal is more dramatic as it removes the secondary cats. For the price of it I think it would at least be worth a try. A few hundred bucks vs a couple of grand for the made in China alternatives seems like a good bet to me.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Domane
3,684 Posts
I don't know about the S, but when I was looking into 987.1 base cars my initial thought was to get some headers and x-pipe but keep the stock mufflers (and their integrated cats). That plus intake and tuning seemed like a cool combo to wake everything up without being obnoxious. It's been a while though and I don't remember the details.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Midnight blue metallic 07 S owner.

There is a ton of depth in the paint if you work it

And I've revived my soft top with "raggTop"
A bunch of cans of that really bring it back to life.

Enjoy it!
I've done every mod possible, it's a riot.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 63 Posts