VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
ND2 Miata | X350 XJR
5,517 Posts
Any easy way to tell if the shift cables have been updated? Honestly feels really tight and shorter throws than I expected.
Just look underneath, silly.

Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Car Hood

Or if you have a set of ramps, drive up on them and you'll be able to see the gearshift lever. If you see a metallic socket on the end, it's likely been replaced compared to the stock plastic ones. Although there are upgraded stock cables that aren't prone to snapping, and presumably those also have a plastic socket at the end (that's not where they break though, it's from the crimped connection between the steel cable and the plastic piece).

Automotive design Gas Automotive exhaust Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2007 Porsche Boxster S, 2019 VW Tiguan SEL
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Really? On my 987.2 I found the change fairly dramatic. Stock I couldn't hear the exhaust at all, it was totally drown out by intake. After the swap the car sounds amazing, perfectly balanced with the intake and makes my hair stand up in tunnels. I also have a Fabspeed X-Pipe which could be adding to the sound.

I've heard that on 987.1's the change to Carnewal is more dramatic as it removes the secondary cats. For the price of it I think it would at least be worth a try. A few hundred bucks vs a couple of grand for the made in China alternatives seems like a good bet to me.
That's good to know! It's possible the videos I've watched just aren't doing a good job of capturing the sound. Exhaust noise is a pretty hard thing to pick up properly.

Midnight blue metallic 07 S owner.

There is a ton of depth in the paint if you work it

And I've revived my soft top with "raggTop"
A bunch of cans of that really bring it back to life.

Enjoy it!
I've done every mod possible, it's a riot.
Looks fantastic! Absolutely love the wheels. Thanks for sharing the photos. I'm hoping to have some time to polish the paint properly soon. It's not in bad shape but definitely hasn't been corrected for many, many years.

Is that the Soul Exhaust on there? If so, how do you like it? Looks like you have the IPD plenum as well. Do you think the engine mods were worth it?

Or if you have a set of ramps, drive up on them and you'll be able to see the gearshift lever. If you see a metallic socket on the end, it's likely been replaced compared to the stock plastic ones. Although there are upgraded stock cables that aren't prone to snapping, and presumably those also have a plastic socket at the end (that's not where they break though, it's from the crimped connection between the steel cable and the plastic piece).

View attachment 127021
Thanks man! I'll have to take a look underneath the car. I haven't even had it up on stands or anything yet.

I did look over the service history today and saw that the Water Pump was replaced at 40k. So I should be good there for a little while!

Sweet car!
Thanks! It gets a lot more looks than I would have thought for a 15 year old car. Most non-Porsche people seem to think it's a lot newer/more expensive than it was.... :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The top on the Boxster was making a knocking noise intermittently. Looked into it and thankfully it was a pretty easy fix. 2 hours of work and $40 for a new gear for a right side top transmission. Really glad there seems to be a lot of DIY fixes for this generation.

Also feels really nice to be wrenching on a car again. After 6 years in LA with no garage, it was something I was sorely missing!

Bicycle part Automotive tire Gear Automotive wheel system Rim
Gas Automotive tire Metal Auto part Circle
Automotive tire Watch Rim Automotive wheel system Analog watch

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Soul exhaust - lump to tailpipe, yes.

I did it a bit bass ackwards for fear of making the car too loud/obnoxious but learn through my mistakes perhaps.

I did the x-pipe and IPD plenum and GT3 throttle body with the EVOMS intake all in one go.
I hated the stock exhaust tips so it was a cosmetic benefit more than a performance.

Then the Softronic tune - which I had all but given up on until a few days later BOOM it kicked in. Much more snappy. The same kind of snap the GIAC stuff gave the 1.8Tnevarloose back in the day.

Next year, I got headers because my stock cats were shot and the o2’s also original. Headers made it a bit nicer on acceleration but no noise gains.
So bit the bullet and ordered the rear section.

First time you punch it - woah - it’s loud.
But it settles and I can drive it with my wife in the car and she doesn’t get embarrassed.

There’s tons of controversy about the plenum/tb upgrade.
But it’s unanimous for headers and tune if you want more punch.

The brake pedal was crappy in mine, even after 2 brake bleeds (one by me, one by a shop to make sure I didn’t make any mistakes) so I got the GT3 master cylinder and steel lines - that was worth every penny.

Make sure you change your main drive belt. It’s very easy to do.
Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Soul exhaust - lump to tailpipe, yes.

I did it a bit bass ackwards for fear of making the car too loud/obnoxious but learn through my mistakes perhaps.
Thanks for all the detailed info! Which of the engine mods would you say was the biggest/best change? After looking at the Softronic tune, the extra 20hp seems like best bang for the buck, but obviously won't make the car any better sounding.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Headers and software will make biggest gains and zero change in sound.

X-pipe alone made zero change to the note in my car.

I did the comparison to soul, awe and fabspeed.

Soul has the market.
Warranty for track use (which I don't need) but after my own research they were the clear choice.

John Gaydos is the 987 king at Soul.
Tell em David from up norf sent ya.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
100%

I was so skeptical I made it very clear when paying for the software.

I was told, if a week's worth of driving hasn't made the difference, call us back and we will make you whole.

The digital delay in the throttle body takes time to adapt.
And when it's gone, it's worth every cent.

Power gains are minimal

It's NA.
But use of the power is far better.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm saving my pennies for a Soul Exhaust I think... :)
If pennies are important to you the exact same exhaust system is available cheaper elsewhere, minus the Soul finish.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Don't forget drive belt....
Drive belt was changed in the last 15k, so I should be good for a while.

Obsessed with this. Amazing pickup. And my favorite part is the standard radio without the screen. It looks so clean.
As much as I want Android Auto in my car, I really do enjoy the period correct look. Lots of FM fun lately haha

If pennies are important to you the exact same exhaust system is available cheaper elsewhere, minus the Soul finish.

Good to know! Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Upgraded the stock CDR-24 with a Tranzit Blu HF Bluetooth transmitter. I wanted to keep the OEM look, but add modern streaming music and hands-free calling. For $100 this is a fantastic upgrade. The sound quality is much better than I expected with it being hard-wired to the radio.

Motor vehicle Gear shift Vehicle Steering part Speedometer

Finger Audio equipment Magenta Electronic device Font

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I finally got around to doing a full paint correction on my 987. Overall the paint was in pretty good shape but had your typical years of swirls and light scratches. I started with a wash & claybar, and then started the paint correction using 3D One. Really impressed with this stuff as an AIO polish. Finished the paint in one pass leaving a damn-near perfect finish. I followed that up with a coating of GTechniq Crystal Serum Light ceramic coating.

The results are pretty outstanding! It took a ton of work (around 20 hours total) but I'm really happy with the end result. The car looks immaculate and now has coverage for the next few years.

Here's some photos out on the Florida backroads with the Boxster all polished up

Vehicle cover Automotive parking light Tire Plant Wheel
Font Circle Jewellery Space Personal protective equipment
Liquid Water Ingredient Fluid Petal
Automotive lighting Tints and shades Rectangle Electric blue Gas
Tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Tread
Cloud Automotive lighting Window Tints and shades Electric blue
Hood Automotive lighting Grille Vehicle door Headlamp
Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Nice work, car looks great!

I second the question on what did you use. Yellow pad, random orbital polisher and Meguires Ultimate Compound still left swirls behind on my car. Thinking of trying a microfibre next time to see if I can get it looking factory fresh. Still looks decent from a few feet away though:

I find the Porsche paint to be super hard in my limited experience. Using the same combo on my son's BRZ took the imperfections out with one pass!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I use a rupes Bigfoot 3 newest version with white foam 5" pad and rupes high gloss gel, then chemical guys glossworx glaze and Pete's 53 wax to seal it up

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I use a rupes Bigfoot 3 newest version with white foam 5" pad and rupes high gloss gel, then chemical guys glossworx glaze and Pete's 53 wax to seal it up

That looks killer! :) Nothing like a freshly polished car to really bring out the lines and details.

I used a Griots G9 and G8 Mini for the job using mainly white foam pads. I used a smaller microfiber pad on some of the heavier scrached areas like the back bumper.

The 3D One worked extremely well for 1-pass with an all-in-one polish. Highly recommended!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts