VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's been 5 years since my last Rabbit but i'm glad to say i'm back (sort of) :rolleyes:

I purchased a 1983 VW Rabbit Cabriolet for my wife, as i'm forbidden to own a Rabbit yet. :( It's currently sitting in Alberta. Going to pick it up in 2 weeks!

By the looks of it it's got some work but the body looks good from the pictures that were posted.

Getting my father to send me more pictures will post them when I get them.

Man it's good to be back!

Here's a picture of it driving to it's temporary home

· Registered
18,724 Posts
Welcome back! :wave:

I purchased a 1983 VW Rabbit Cabriolet for my wife, as i'm forbidden to own a Rabbit yet. :(
Yeah, sure it's for your wife. ;):laugh::p

And I see the first project will be electrical (those are some dull lights!).

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I got more pictures of the car.

For a 83 it doesn't look so bad. Once I get it back to Winnipeg then I can go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Sitting in front of a Canadian Tire

Rear passenger side view right above the gas cap you can see what might be a tear.

Partial interior. The seats have seen better days.

And the engine bay really crowded with all the A/C components. the metal box Where the heater fan is I'm assuming that was just put together by someone with extra house heater duct material, never seen that on any of my Rabbits before. :confused:

Well thats all for now.

:D

· Registered
18,724 Posts
It used to be a triple white Wolfsburg Edition. :thumbup:

And the engine bay really crowded with all the A/C components. the metal box Where the heater fan is I'm assuming that was just put together by someone with extra house heater duct material, never seen that on any of my Rabbits before. :confused:
What I'm seeing is perfectly normal for an A/C-equipped Rabbit/Cabriolet.

What I see that is wrong: You'll probably chuck the A/C anyway, but there is a vacuum hose missing on the idle boost valve. The throttle cable is looking a bit loose.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So got to edmonton today and saw the car. The Rack is fixed but the electrical is shot. First was the Horn after taking everything apart traced the problem back to the metal ring on the steering wheel (Need to be replaced thankfully I still have my wheel from my GTI at home in winnipeg.:rolleyes: ) now I'm trying to figure out my turn signal issues. left side blinks very dim but my passenger side blinks bright. I checked and cleaned my grounds in the rear as well as the connections on the lights themselves (making a new ground for the rear passenger side as the metal around the brake light is shot) . Also to note hazards dont work, you turn them on and nothing no blinking or lights. Could it just be a fuse as the turning signals still work. Tomorrow i'm going to the wrecker to see about a replacement steering wheel as well as little odds and ends. Also I'll clean and check the grounds on the steering column and the fuse panel and maybe check the fuses and relays. also I think the main ground from the battery to the frame rail is missing, there is a broken braded wire strap that goes under the airbox, if this is the ground Can I replace it with a generic battery to starter cable ( or any idea of a good replacement ) as i will probably be replacing the battery to starter cable anyways?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

· Registered
4,783 Posts
I had the turn signal issue. on my 91, there are two fuses that have to do with making the turn signals work. I believe they were #4 and #19, but don't trust my memory. If one of the other is burnt, the signals will not flash.

Check on cabby-info.com for your year car to see if those locations are appropriate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.