VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its my first mk2 but not my first VW. I've got a 03 gti which has been my daily/project for the past 5 years or so but I'm pretty done with the whole mk4 thing.

I Grew up in and around mk2's and PVW cars when I was a kid but I've never had one and always wanted to to build one. Some of you OG's may remember my cousin David (Gtiman99) from many years ago. He is also helping me with my build and still has his mk2 believe it or not.

My Mk4

Day I got it. Gave it a quick wash and wax. The car was originally a 16v but the previous owner swapped a vr in it. Swap was done pretty well which is the reason why I picked up the car.

The bay

Car ran and drove so I drove it for a few months

Between school and work I had to put the project on hold, but since the semester is over I have plenty of time to do some work.

Plans for the mk2

• Shaved bay
  • Motor will be refreshed
  • Mk4 head gasket
  • Timing chains
  • New oil pan
  • Clutch and flywheel
  • All new gaskets
  • Fix the 3 holes in the floor
  • Replace the passenger rear arch
  • Fix the rust under the windshield
  • Full respray
  • New bumpers, hood and fenders
  • and much more

12/21
Got the car over to my shop and started to take the front end off and took the interior out. New hood, fenders and bumpers are going to be ordered.

12/22
Got the motor out of the car and on the stand. Motor needs some attention but I plan on doing a major service on it. PO gave me a bunch of receipts of parts and work done but judging by the oil leaks, leaky head gasket etc. it wasn't done properly or at all. Got a new clutch, mk4 head gasket, chains/ guides, oil pan and a bunch more parts coming in monday :thumbup::thumbup:

Up it goes

They way volkswagen should have put the motor :p

Ended the day with this. Plenty more to come

Stay tuned :beer:

·
Registered
505 Posts
That's my buddys old car. He bought it from a guy in va, this time last year. That car has come a long way since he bought it. Transmission was split in 3 pieces. Has new chains,guides,tensioners,waterpump,headgasket,clutch kit,flywheel,control arms,plus a bunch of other stuff. He bought the car for 1500, and had about 3500 in parts. He only drove it twice, and had to sell it due to moving. Glad to see someone doing something with the car. I figured it would have been parted by now. By the way, CT is where that car came from, when I tracked the history.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice project:thumbup:
Thank you

That's my buddys old car. He bought it from a guy in va, this time last year. That car has come a long way since he bought it. Transmission was split in 3 pieces. Has new chains,guides,tensioners,waterpump,headgasket,clutch kit,flywheel,control arms,plus a bunch of other stuff. He bought the car for 1500, and had about 3500 in parts. He only drove it twice, and had to sell it due to moving. Glad to see someone doing something with the car. I figured it would have been parted by now. By the way, CT is where that car came from, when I tracked the history.

I was hoping someone would recognize the car and shed some light. I bought the car from Adam this past September he did tell me he was moving and wasn't able to have the car at his new place. The car itself isn't in terrible condition has some rust issues but nothing that cant be taken care of.

He did tell me the front end suspension was completely refreshed, the transmission was replaced from a 98 jetta, the chains, water pump, head gasket and other stuff was done. When I bought the car the clutch was slipping, it was burning coolant from the side of the head at the gasket and leaking oil. Being a mechanic, and since the motors out, I'm going to be going through the motor and service everything.

The car couldn't be in better hands. Any idea where in CT the car came from and who did the swap?

·
Registered
505 Posts
The guy who had it down here and had to sell was mike. I had the original build thread saved. I'll see if I can find it. What I remember, it went from pa, to CT, back to pa, 2 owners, down to md, then to va, 3 owners down here. He sold it to someone in roanoke va. That was the last I heard of it until now. He sold it in July I believe.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Got some more work done in the bay. Still have to get some more seam sealer out and strip the paint in the bay. Should be getting the welder out and filling them holes this week.

Got the motor apart. Noticed some pretty significant pitting on the head which is why the car was burning coolant like woah. Heads off to the machine shop to get rebuilt and fixed.

·
Registered
B5 S4
2,095 Posts
This build looks awesome so far. I guess I wont be the only one with a Montana vr6 locally.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im for this thread i was going to buy this car when it was in va but didnt have the cash at the time
:thumbup: I almost didnt buy the car but I figured after a 8 hour drive each way and almost $350 worth of fuel, I wasn't about to go back empty handed. Turned out to be a solid car minimal rust but needs some attention.

·
Registered
B5 S4
2,095 Posts
Thanks bud. I've wanted to do this for a long time. The car's getting resprayed another color when I'm done with the build.
Ohh nice. Any word on what color you're going with? Looking forward to seeing it all buttoned up and put back together:beer:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ohh nice. Any word on what color you're going with? Looking forward to seeing it all buttoned up and put back together:beer:
I think of 10 colors every day but my top three are Red Mica Pearl, Tornado Red and E36 M3 Techno Violet. Still no clue what color to go with. I hope to have the car done by summer.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got some more work done in the bay. Still have to remove some paint and a little more seam sealer. Removed the rain tray and started cutting out the metal to weld in and fill the holes and frame rails :thumbup: Hope to have most of the welding done this weekend when I have more time.

Also got a hold of some brand new oem euro fenders and got another vr head with low miles that I'm going to have rebuilt because the head that was on the car previously needs more work than I expected.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.