3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
1/12-1/13

Got a lot done to the mk2 this weekend.

Got both frame rail pieces and other hole templates cut out.

Decided to POR15 the top of the frame rails since they well be covered.

Removed the dash and HVAC unit and made sense of some of the wiring in there. Windshield will be coming out soon too. Still have to remove the black tar on the firewall then I'll be spraying and sealing it.

POR15'd some of the passenger side floor but still have to weld up the little hole towards the bottom right in the picture.

·
Registered
378 Posts
^ I believe he was referring to how beat up that lifter looks. Not sure if it's just a reflection or not but it does look like it was used as a hammer in that picture.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
^ I believe he was referring to how beat up that lifter looks. Not sure if it's just a reflection or not but it does look like it was used as a hammer in that picture.
Beat up? It's brand new OEM from Volkswagen. It was still covered in the clear lubrication that it was shipped in making it look "beat".

·
Registered
378 Posts
Since you pointed it out, yes. The oil did make it appear like it is damaged but they aren't. That's how VW sent them in individual bags lined oil.
And after you pointed out that it still had the wrapper on it, I can see that now. No harm no foul.

BTW-is there a build thread on your MK4? Great looking car. This is nice too, looking forward to seeing your progress.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
And after you pointed out that it still had the wrapper on it, I can see that now. No harm no foul.

BTW-is there a build thread on your MK4? Great looking car. This is nice too, looking forward to seeing your progress.
No worries bud. All the parts going in and on the motor are going to be purchased new and properly put back together :thumbup:

Thanks man. I never made a build thread for my mk4. I've owned it since 06 and its always been my daily.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Been a while since I've posted any progress.

Started school a few weeks ago so I'll be finishing the bay and finishing the motor during my spring break :thumbup:

Got one of the frame rail templates tacked on and started grinding down the welds. Then my welder ran out of gas:banghead:

Got the new head back from the machine shop and started to focus on the motor more.

Prepped the block to install the head.

Mk4 head gasket

Ended the day with this. Head timed and torqued down. Still have to finish polishing the timing chain covers and install them and the valve cover.

Wasn't feeling the grey block so I sprayed it high temp low gloss black.

Got rid of the crappy rubber grommet and bought the proper fitting to plug up the SAI hole.

Still have a ton of work to come. Stay tuned :peace:

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Its been months since I've updated this. I got the bay 90% done. Both frame rail plates and most of the holes in the firewall have been welded in and ground down smooth. Should have the body work done in a few weeks:thumbup:. Most of May I'll be working hours a day on this so I'll have more updates. I'm hoping to have the car resprayed this June or July by the latest.

In other news I've been picking up parts and pieces for when it comes time for assembly. I was originally going to run the 8v flares on it previously but I found a deal I couldnt pass up on some brand new NOS G60 flares. Now the car will have the flares it was supposed to have on it and be more original. Also picked up some new euro fenders that were painted but never mounted. Still have to order the bumpers and a new grille and thats it :beer: Didn't feel like resizing pics.
Driver side

Passenger side.

Firewall

How she sits for now

G60 flares

Follow the progress on Instagram as well @mrmikeypants

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.