VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
Mulling over the idea of putting my exhaust back to stock. My scorpion is too loud!
The stock one I took off was rusted and I threw it away. The stock tail pipes exited horizontally and were sort of rounded box in x-section, and quite large.
looking from the side:
======= /
.............../
............./
=====/
The dilema I have is that all the other un-modded VR6's I've seen have these crappy pencil / pee-shooter exhausts that exit downwards with circular pipes.
looking from the side:
====\
...........\
.............\
===\
Can we still get the original items?
Cheers,

[Modified by jcorallo, 4:04 AM 11-27-2001]

[Modified by jcorallo, 4:05 AM 11-27-2001]

[Modified by jcorallo, 4:05 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: back to stock exhaust...? (jcorallo)

All Original stock exhausts have the twin pencil tailpipes pointing downwards.
If your original one had them pointing straight out, then it was not a genuine rear box, perhaps a patent from somwhere like Kwik Fit or Charlie Browns etc.
The BEST solution is what I have:
Stock (genuine) middle and centre silencers
Followed by a SEBRING rear box with twin 90mm chrome pipes (or your choice)
This way its quieter than stock (if not quieter!) and you also get some good looks at the back end too !
Try it mate - you wont regret it - I've had mine on for 2 years without any problems or noise or resonance. And I've done 60,000 miles.
Cheers
Aamer.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: back to stock exhaust...? (Golfather)

I'm sure it was deffo a genuine part....
It was one complete part from the suitcase up to the tailpipe!!!! I had to cut it in half to get it off the car!! There was no join between the suitcase and the back box.
The only other way to get it off would have been to undo all the shocks etc.
The quality of the exhaust wasnt Kwik Fit... much too complex a build and heavy with layers of baffles on the outside etc.
Cheers,
Jules
PS this is a 93. maybe they changed it after 93? dunno...
I think I may have a pic somewhere of the tailpipes so I'll post it up soon.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

here is a graphic that shows what mine used to be like:
The ends of the tailpipes are all one piece. parts 2 and 5. They are extruded into that shape.
the part number is 1H6 253 609 C and the one thats on vwparts.com is 1H6 253 609 AF - so I assume this one has the crappy tail pipes?

[Modified by jcorallo, 7:34 AM 11-27-2001]

[Modified by jcorallo, 7:41 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
91 Posts

If the rear box and centre suitcase was one piece then its genuine, infact one piece exhausts are only installed from factory.
If your rear box goes, then the dealers have to cut it off at a specified place and then use a mating adaptor to attach the new back back.
Aftermarket rear boxs (like my Sebring) have a widened end which just slot onto the pipe of the suitcase, avoiding the use of an adaptor.
I have my old genuine back box if you want it (with adaptor!) That has the original curved downwards tailpipes.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Strange just checking your part numbers on ETKA and the part number you quote for your rear box (C) is for a Golf 2.0 16v.
If its a VR6 rear box, it should have a R at the end of it.
Is your car a conversion? Or has someone installed a 2.0 16v system on it ?(coz they are the same bore)
Cheers
Aamer.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

thanks for the offer of the back box, but i'd rather shave my nuts with an angle grinder than fit one of those!!! at least the old one i had was cool looking!!
I'll ask at eurocarparts to see if they can get me one.
Cheers,
Jules

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]Strange just checking your part numbers on ETKA and the part number you quote for your rear box (C) is for a Golf 2.0 16v.
If its a VR6 rear box, it should have a R at the end of it.
Is your car a conversion? Or has someone installed a 2.0 16v system on it ?(coz they are the same bore)
Cheers
Aamer.[HR][/HR]​
Those numbers could be wrong, but I've noticed that the gti and vr6 use the same back box with lame pee-shooter tail pipes pointing down - same bore and everything.

·
Registered
456 Posts

I have a complete 97' GTI Stainless VR exhaust from my old ride. Will that fit? It has the squared round twin exit pipes, not turn downs. Let me know if you could use it.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]ps: what is ekta?[HR][/HR]​
That's something I've been curious of ... in another thread they were talking about downloading it from someone ...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: back to stock exhaust...? (ExtremeVR6)

ETKA is VW's proprietary parts listing system, afaik. It may involve something else also?

·
Registered
245 Posts

FIRST OF ALL, "ETKA" IS THE ELECTRONIC PARTS CATALOG COMPUTER THAT ALL THE VW DEALERS USE IN THEIR PARTS DEPT. IT REPLACED THE OLD MICROFICHE. NEXT, I WOULD LIKE TO MENTION TO THE LUCKY ENGLISH FELLOW THAT WE DIDN'T RECIEVE THE 16V MK3 IN THE STATES. WE ONLY HAD A 2.0 8V & VR6 IN OUR GTI'S. VWOA (VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA) REVISED THE EXHAUST SYSTEM IN 1996 MAKING ANY PROIR DESIGN UNAVAILABLE. THE FACTORY ONE PIECE IS REPLACED BY 3 PIECES BEING CONNECTED BY 2 DUAL CLAMPS. IN ADDITION, IF YOU REPLACE YOUR MIDDLE MUFFLER WITH A NEW ONE YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO SWITCH YOUR EXHAUST HANGER TO THE NEWER SYTLE.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: back to stock exhaust...? (BoraBuck)

borabuck - i just changed my profile and sig to help you answer your question!!
I'm in the UK!
Cheers anyway,
Jules

1 - 14 of 14 Posts