VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When will it make it back into production?
Sometime in the 2012 model year? Or the 2013 model year?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The back-up camera's are built in Japan and that is why it is no longer available. There is no update for release date at this time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wonder if the wiring and everything is still in place. If I buy a Touareg, I'd love to retrofit the camera once it becomes available.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I wonder if the wiring and everything is still in place. If I buy a Touareg, I'd love to retrofit the camera once it becomes available.
Don't count on it being there. If it was not ordered with a cam they will not run the wiring for it just because.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't count on it being there. If it was not ordered with a cam they will not run the wiring for it just because.
I wonder though, given that the back up camera came on the Lux versions before, and is only being omitted due to supply issues, whether they will have the camera prep in place. That's apparently the way Audi is handling it; they will retrofit the camera as they become available this fall, in any vehicle that would otherwise have it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I wanted one bad for my 2010. I purchased a Pioneer AVIC Z120BT and a Pioneer rear view cam and couldnt be happier.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I noticed on Carsdirect they list this option:

Rearview Camera Delete (DISC)
NO LONGER AVAILABLE for factory ordering as of September 19, 2011. ($284)

Perhaps it means that cars built after this date will all have the option??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Kind of a pisser that you can't get the backup cam. The new 2012 Mercedes ML350 comes with one. My Dad's new Lexus RX350 has one (it's quite handy). I don't buy the whole tsunami theory, too many other manufacturers still including the backup cam. Can't VW find a new supplier? As someone mentioned, Audi is including the hookup for install later.....what's up wit dat VW? :banghead:

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I noticed on Carsdirect they list this option:

Rearview Camera Delete (DISC)
NO LONGER AVAILABLE for factory ordering as of September 19, 2011. ($284)

Perhaps it means that cars built after this date will all have the option??
Lets hope it is...

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
A few items:
Cameras are back in the mix
Prices were dropped for the 5+ months' supply not equipped
Audi isn't promising anything - except that some Q7s with cameras don't have the module, and right now that won't be fixed until next year.
Before buying parts, verify. It seems some produced right after the disruption still had modules/wiring
The camera issue hit a number of makers. I personally know two new vehicle buyers who faced "camera delete" - from Nissan & GM.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
A few items:
Cameras are back in the mix
Prices were dropped for the 5+ months' supply not equipped
Audi isn't promising anything - except that some Q7s with cameras don't have the module, and right now that won't be fixed until next year.
Before buying parts, verify. It seems some produced right after the disruption still had modules/wiring
The camera issue hit a number of makers. I personally know two new vehicle buyers who faced "camera delete" - from Nissan & GM.
\

I'll be looking at mine before I purchasse anything...since I don't know the build date on mine other then I have a very, very low VIN#. That simply tells me that I likely have a very early build date for 2012 and might have something installed that I don't knwo about. This of course will all be waiting until I return stateside in December.

·
Banned
10,602 Posts
So I've gone ahead and purchased the Rear Camera kit from OEM Plus. Hope to have it installed the week after Christmas while I'm out in Southern California.
was gonna order one but it says back ordered. any info on when they will have some more in?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Originally, I wanted the the backup camera when ordering my Touareg. As the camera was not available I had to go with the park distance control ( optical). Actually it is much more useful than I had imagined. Although the camera may have been cool I am not missing it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts