VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here is the problem, I have a Black Lab that I take on trips with me and with cloth it was never a problem, now that I have leather I am worried about his nails scuffing the leather on the back seat.
Has anyone see a cover for the back seat? Preferably what I am looking for is a cover for just the bottom portion and not the back rest (he better not have is claws there). So far I have just laid a blanket down but it doesn't stay put at all and look ugly. Thanks in advance.
Ben

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: Backseat seat cover (benanthony)

VW Japan has something called a "Pet Cover" that covers the back seat like a blanket, but it is held on by hanging over the seat backs. I don't know if VW USA has this available or not?

·
Registered
61 Posts

I have two dogs; one sometimes drools (she gets a little carsick) and the other can't sit still. I found a car blanket that has vinyl on one side (waterproof and it doesn't slide around on the leather) and flannel on the other (not crazy about the flannel pattern, but beggars can't be choosers). Cost me CDN$20. It's big enough that it covers the back and the seat, so not exactly what you're looking for, but it does the trick for me. I suppose if you could find something similar, you could always cut it down so it just covers the seat.
My dogs also have "seatbelts" that attach to a chest harness - wouldn't want two 50lb dogs flying at me if I hit the brakes too hard! I had to cut two small holes in the blanket to get the seatbelts to attach. I tuck one edge of the blanket under the rear headrests and the blanket is just long enough to hang over the edge of the seat. So far, so good!
If I can find a "prettier" solution that isn't going to cost me a fortune, I'll try it.
Oh, and I think the VW Japan pet cover is not available here (unless you want to send away for it and pay over CDN$200 (say, US$150).

·
Registered
234 Posts

If you only want to cover the bottom of the seat and you don't really care about fitment, then why don't you just tie down/secure the blanket to it.
It' really easy to remove the bottom part of the back seats, just push the seat towards the back and lift up. Do this for both sides and the seat should come up and out. No screws. Then just wrap a blanket and secure it under the seat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Backseat seat cover (FastPassat)

I am really hoping to find a nice fit, black cover so it doesn't look that out of place. I will continue looking, thanks.
Ben

·
Registered
296 Posts

Try http://www.caninecovers.com We bought one of their "plain" covers for our '99 GLX. Very nicely made. It cost ninety-something, but it fits very well, and is made very well. I think you measure the width and height of your back seat, and I chose the generic one that was closest, and it is great. It goes up about 2/3 the way up the back cushion and has a heavy velcro strip across the entire back that you fasten velcro-covered straps to that go around your headrests. Be sure to tell them that you have three headrests, unless you have a '98? Two thumbs up! Well worth the price.

·
Registered
‘17 VW Passat, ‘08 VW Passat, ‘07 Audi Q7 4.2, ‘03 BMW R1150RT, ‘53 DKW RT250H
4,502 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts