VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone
Having problems with my backup lights not coming on in reverse. All other lights in the assemblies work (brakes/signal/driving) just not the backup lights and both sides. Have an 88westy automatic. Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Al

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
Re: backup lights (station15)

First of all, I would check the fuse. After that, check the wiring and the switch. I assume you've made sure the bulbs are ok?
The back-up light switch is located in the shifter assembly, down on the floor. This switch is the same as the neutral/park starter safety switch, has this caused any trouble for you?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts

I have a '91 Vanagon 4-speed. The backup lights didn't work for like a year.
Last week, I was under the van, checking something else, when I found a wire with a connector coming off the trans, and another wire with a matching connector sitting right next to it. The two looked like they should be connected, but weren't.
Unable to locate documentation on the wire, I connected them up, and the backup lights were working again. My guess is that when my mechanic did the clutch last year, he forgot to re-connect the wire.
For reference, the wire is located on the driver's side of the trans near the engine.

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
Re: backup lights (MagicBus)

Automatic versions have the switch on the lever, not the transmission.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Re: backup lights (PerL)

Quote, originally posted by PerL »
Automatic versions have the switch on the lever, not the transmission.

Noted. My dad's is automatic, so if I ever have a problem with that one, I'll know where to look.

·
Registered
99 Posts

I replaced the brass contact switch (located w/in the auto shift console) a month or so ago. Before that my reverse lights would work only when I put pressure on the shift lever and got it into a "sweet" spot. The replacement part was relatively cheap and only took a couple of minutes to swap out the defective one.
Brent

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
On my 4 speed, my backup lights have never worked. I replaced the switch on the tranny a couple of years ago, but no go, so I presume a wire is broken somewhere (no fuses gone).
For reference, does the circuit to the one side of the backup switch remain energized with the key on? So the switch would just close and complete the circuit, then wiring goes right from the switch to the tail lights?

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
Re: (Mr Wolf)

Yes, the switch gets feed from the ignition switch, so this wire is hot all the time. If you dont fancy stretching new wiring from the front of the car, you can do it like VW did it on the Bugs, just stretch the wire from the 12V side of the coil. Just remember to include a fuse next to the coil.

·
Registered
208 Posts

The first thing I would do is check the switch under the gear selector lever housing. When my backup lights died it was because the switch contacts had worn a bit. There is a minor amount of adjustment available in the mounting of that switch so you can move it back into contact with the lever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts