VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Wagon and when I open the driver's door the interior lights no long go on. They do go on when I open the passenger door. Occasionally the "door open" warning light goes on as well until I open and slam the driver's door several times.
Can anybody give me any ideas on:
1. Is this likely to be the sensor?
2. How tough is this to replace?
Thanks for anyone kind enough to give me some advise,
Scott
And feel free not to lecture me on purchasing a Chilton manual.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I've replaced the driver's door latch module (DLM) in my son's MkIV Golf. Pretty similar to the Passat. A dealer will charge somewhere around $450 to replace it but it's a good DIY job.
I ended up buying a new DLM rather than repairing the old one because I didn't want to take the chance of getting halfway into tearing into the door only to find the DLM was unrepairable.
The replacement DLMs are a whole lot quieter than the older ones. I can barely hear it when it autolocks. I bought mine from 1stvwparts.com for about $110. They list at the dealer for $150.
Turns out my old DLM's 4th micro-switch was fubar. I may get around to replacing the switch and resellng the old DLM as a rebuild. It'll only take about $10 in parts and an hour (if that) in my time to repair. The rest of the micro-switches checked out as well as the solder joints.

Modified by Old_School at 8:31 PM 10-31-2006

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Bad door sensor? (itschuck2c)

Thanks Chuck! Those are wonderful links! It does look like lots of work but $300 is $300.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts